What’s your favorite low calorie, healthy side dish?

Options
angdan31
angdan31 Posts: 95 Member
I'm always looking for low calorie, healthy side dishes for my family’s dinners. I'm always seeing great entree recipes but then I pair it with a side dish and the stats go way up. My mother in law made this the other day and it was surprisingly delicious. I'm not a huge fan of cabbage but this was sweet and satisfying for only 65 calories. Just thought I'd pass it on.

4 cups shredded red cabbage
2 medium apples, cored and cut into wedges
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tbls unpacked brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground nutmeg

Place cabbage, apple wedges, vinegar, and brown sugar in saucepan over medium heat. Mix well. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes till cabbage and apples are tender. Add salt and nutmeg. Mix well and serve warm.
Makes about 6 (1/2 cup) servings.

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lymasc
    lymasc Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • batsen
    batsen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yummy! I've had that before and was after the recipe, thanks :happy:
  • ottawagirl613
    ottawagirl613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • naplidon96
    Options
    Hmmm good question! lol honestly, i love Salad [just romaine lettuce] with some CALORIE FREE Walden Farms Bacon Ranch dressing on top, MMMM!! Or i honestly just like a nice vegetable, spinach, broccoli, or a mix. Im a pretty simple guy lol
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    Or i honestly just like a nice vegetable, spinach, broccoli, or a mix. Im a pretty simple guy lol

With you on that one... nothing beats a side of steamed veggies - broccoli and cauliflower is my fave combo. And if i'm feeling a little indulgent, I'll top them with a bit of cream cheese or parmesan cheese. YUMMM!!!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Roasted vegetables, but specifically roasted broccoli, brussels sprout, and asparagus. Just toss with a bit of olive oil and a tiny bit of coarse Kosher salt. Roast at 400. Roasting vegetables brings out such a delicious, deep nutty flavor.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Salad.
    Or I also like the Kirkland Brand (Costco) Stir Fry mix.
  • Noadi
    Noadi Posts: 27
    Options
    Seasoned steamed broccoli is one of my favorites, steam as usual then sprinkle with a little salt, pepper, olive oil, and the herbs/spices of your choice (I like some crushed red pepper, garlic powder, and parsley). You can also do this with other steamed veggies like cauliflower, green beans, snap peas, etc. If you want a bit of extra flavor a little fresh grated parmesan cheese is good but of course adds calories.
  • lissadavis
    lissadavis Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great thread

i'm super super lazy, and my husband likes to have potatoes or rice with our entrees, so instead of that I'll shave up some cabbage to put in my bowl (under the stew, curry, lentils, etc.). My four year old likes to much on it, too. It is always crunchy and delicious and I'm so glad I had that instead rice or potatoes. My body's just not crazy about starchy foods.

My other favorite, when brussel sprouts are in season, is to saute some brussel sprouts (cut in half) with a few carrots, sliced, in a cast iron skillet with a tiny amount of olive oil. You can let the veggies brown up a bit and they get soo so sweet.

13278165.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • MamaDee2
    MamaDee2 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables, but specifically roasted broccoli, brussels sprout, and asparagus. Just toss with a bit of olive oil and a tiny bit of coarse Kosher salt. Roast at 400. Roasting vegetables brings out such a delicious, deep nutty flavor.

^^this - these are yummy!
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I love to fry fresh green beans in a little olive oil and garlic...mmm :)
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryjay51
    Options
    mine varies ..im on a steamed beets kick.. i steam cook fresh beets, marinate them in balsamic vinegar mixed with water,italian seasoning,pepper and sliced onion .. then i put the beets over a bed of baby spinach leaves .. dont know why but i really enjoy this side dish
  • MalyMal
    MalyMal Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Tabouli ( probably spelled wrong) sooo yummy
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I like white cabbage, boiled, with a little margarine and pepper on it
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    my current fav radishes sliced thin with diced ginger, a splash of newman's own lite ginger dressing or olive or peanut oil. yum
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    oooo the cabbage recipe sounds good. I also like cooked cabbage with steak and bbq sauce, it goes together pretty well.

Recently I've been learning how to cook healthier meals, and most of my recipes have come from this website......

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-recipes-main-page.html
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies! well, any veggies really :) And sauteed spinach with a little bit of cream cheese or parmesan and garlic!