Biking Question

Options

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get a good bike....but at 6'-3" and a needing to drop about 60lbs, I can't help but feel like I'd look like a big goober on a bike. Lol

I'll prolly still get one tho.

IMO, no one trying to improve themselves is a big goober...

I saw a think the other day that said: "For you to insult me I'd first have to value your opinion". Who cares what strangers think...

With that being said You'd need a bike with a frame size in the 20/21 inch range. And remember the cheapest bike from your local bike shop is far superior to the most expensive department store bike.

Nah, I don't really care what others think bud....that's why I said I'll prolly still get one. We have a local bike shop here that I'll go to to "get fitted". I don't mind paying the money. Any suggestions on a brand?

Road or mountain? If road, fit is pretty much the only thing that matters. If mountain, you have a lot more leeway. Don't spend extra money on the drivetrain (shifters, derailleurs) as they wear out fast and are relatively inexpensive to replace/upgrade later. Get a good frame and good wheels. If it's a mountain bike, better suspension is worth paying for too... especially with more adjust-ability... adjustable suspension will be more flexible as you lose weight.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Pretty much all the bikes even in the bike shops are made in taiwan or china,
    That's not really true. Sure, the more consumer oriented/mass produced bike are, but there are a lot of manufacturers that still make all their own frames, some by hand using custom geometry/materials (those these get expensive fast).
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'd love to get a good bike....but at 6'-3" and a needing to drop about 60lbs, I can't help but feel like I'd look like a big goober on a bike. Lol

I'll prolly still get one tho.

IMO, no one trying to improve themselves is a big goober...

I saw a think the other day that said: "For you to insult me I'd first have to value your opinion". Who cares what strangers think...

With that being said You'd need a bike with a frame size in the 20/21 inch range. And remember the cheapest bike from your local bike shop is far superior to the most expensive department store bike.

Nah, I don't really care what others think bud....that's why I said I'll prolly still get one. We have a local bike shop here that I'll go to to "get fitted". I don't mind paying the money. Any suggestions on a brand?

Road or mountain? If road, fit is pretty much the only thing that matters. If mountain, you have a lot more leeway. Don't spend extra money on the drivetrain (shifters, derailleurs) as they wear out fast and are relatively inexpensive to replace/upgrade later. Get a good frame and good wheels. If it's a mountain bike, better suspension is worth paying for too... especially with more adjust-ability... adjustable suspension will be more flexible as you lose weight.

I'd actually like something that would be good, or at least decent, for both. I'd like to be able to do a little off road if I'd feel inclined.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If it's mainly going to be used on roads with some light trail use, I'd look at a CX bike. It looks like a road bike, but has been beefed up to handle some trail use.

If it's going to get more serious trail use, I'd look at a hardtail that you can put slicks on for road use. This is how I got into road riding.
  • Jipples
    Options
    If it's mainly going to be used on roads with some light trail use, I'd look at a CX bike. It looks like a road bike, but has been beefed up to handle some trail use.

If it's going to get more serious trail use, I'd look at a hardtail that you can put slicks on for road use. This is how I got into road riding.

Sweet....hell, I'm going look today.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    C'mon OP, is it 3hrs each way or return trip...? Enquiring minds need to know :smile:

It's going to depend on availability of time, if nothing else. Can you get out of bed at 5am and be happy to arrive home late in the evening? 6hours a day commuting is sheer mentalism but perhaps once a week is ok. 3 hours is pushing it every day, imho.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all the bikes even in the bike shops are made in taiwan or china,
    That's not really true. Sure, the more consumer oriented/mass produced bike are, but there are a lot of manufacturers that still make all their own frames, some by hand using custom geometry/materials (those these get expensive fast).

Yeah, I was just speaking in the "regular guy" price range though, not competition prices.
  • willwhite78
    Options

I'd actually like something that would be good, or at least decent, for both. I'd like to be able to do a little off road if I'd feel inclined.

I know you've already gotten an answer on this, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

I ride a road bike, a 2009 Felt F95 Garmin Team Edition that I got a HUGE discount on in the 2010 year at my LBS. It was the last one they had and they couldn't get rid of it because it was an odd size. I'm also an "odd" size. So I picked it up and it's been the best purchase I've made in a LONG time.

That being said, I can ONLY ride it on the road. We live in an area with lots of trails and hills/mountains with off-road possibility. I would have liked to have gotton more of a Cross Country style of bike, but I'll prob. end up just buying a mountain bike to replace my old "Hybrid" bike.

My boss did buy a Cross Country style of bike, he got a Giant "Roam" I believe. He's able to take it on the rail trail (gravel) but I don't think it would do too well on mountainous terrain. Now when we ride on the road, I burn past him and have to slow down for him to catch up, but I could never follow him off-road.

So it's a trade off, on-road speed for versatility I suppose.
  • willwhite78
    Options
    So, I love biking. Last year I started biking to a job I had that took me 40 minutes to get to.

I now work a lot further away - but I am really tempted to bike there too. It would take me 3 hours.

Thoughts?

I think 3 hours each way would be crazy. I've ridden to work a couple of times, it takes me an hour to an hour 15 to get there using some back roads to avoid the "commuter" highway traffic. I also have access to a full locker room/shower facility and have no dress code (I can wear shorts in the summer).

I'd be a bit afraid of the drowsy drivers at 5:30 AM. Back roads just wouldn't feel as safe considering all of the DWI's I see at 5 AM either...drunks tend to avoid the highways.
  • Jipples
    Options
    So I went look, and ended up buying. Lol Bought a 21" TREK 3500D. I think it'll be perfect for me......can't wait to go ride! Now, anyone wanna suggest a good gps app or something I can track my distance and speed with?

Again, sorry OP......your input would be appreciated as well.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    So, I love biking. Last year I started biking to a job I had that took me 40 minutes to get to.

I now work a lot further away - but I am really tempted to bike there too. It would take me 3 hours.

Thoughts?

no way dude.
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Well, as a benchmark this summer, I might try and do it on a early Saturday morning and devote the whole morning to going there and back again - then as things progress, I might try it weekly/bi-weekly. I think that's a do-able goal - especially if I pack smart and have a plan. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I'm SO TEMPTED!
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    And yes, 3 hours one way.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Then definitely no way dude.
  • jason_moore
    Options
    You need to go ride the route on an off day to see how long it actually takes. Then you need to factor in some extra time to deal with rush hour traffic going to work and riding home. A 3 hour commute is a monster commute on a bike. So many things can go wrong in 3 hours. Flats, weather changes, rush hour traffic idiots, mechanical failures. Some, if not all that stuff, will happen. You gotta factor that time in as well.

Commuting 3 hours is a LOT different than going to ride for three hours. You are carrying work clothes, maybe a computer and/or smart phone, shoes, repair stuff, etc. Your bike will need lights for sure. It's a big load. Then you gotta clean up after work, then work, then get redressed to ride back home (in the same clothes you rode to work in = gross).

All this can be done. Plenty of people have big commutes by bike. But it takes a lot of planning to do it right and still be safe and productive in the rest of your daily endeavors. There are some good suggestions in here (bus train part way then ride the rest). I'd read up on one of the bike forums. They all have Commuting forums that can be a HUGE help. Roadbikereview.com is the site I frequent. Bikeforums.com has a communting section. There are certainly others if you Google a bit.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would try it maybe a cpl of times per week and see if you like it. Having to do it 5 days a week would be a right slog and probably take the enjoyment out of it, IMHO. I wish you all the luck in the world though and good on you for even contemplating it :bigsmile:
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I know you've already gotten an answer on this, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents.

I ride a road bike, a 2009 Felt F95 Garmin Team Edition that I got a HUGE discount on in the 2010 year at my LBS. It was the last one they had and they couldn't get rid of it because it was an odd size. I'm also an "odd" size. So I picked it up and it's been the best purchase I've made in a LONG time.

That being said, I can ONLY ride it on the road. We live in an area with lots of trails and hills/mountains with off-road possibility. I would have liked to have gotton more of a Cross Country style of bike, but I'll prob. end up just buying a mountain bike to replace my old "Hybrid" bike.

My boss did buy a Cross Country style of bike, he got a Giant "Roam" I believe. He's able to take it on the rail trail (gravel) but I don't think it would do too well on mountainous terrain. Now when we ride on the road, I burn past him and have to slow down for him to catch up, but I could never follow him off-road.

So it's a trade off, on-road speed for versatility I suppose.

Not really. You could buy a randonneur type bike, like the surly long haul trucker. that gives you the best of both worlds. And the geometry is different than the average road bike too, making for a more relaxed commute, especially a 6 hour round trip.

http://bicycletouringpro.com/blog/touring-bikes-bicycles-made-specifically-for-long-distance-touring/
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options

look into long distance touring bike. I've got a koga miyata world traveller, and I use it for a 60km roundtrip commute.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    So I went look, and ended up buying. Lol Bought a 21" TREK 3500D. I think it'll be perfect for me......can't wait to go ride! Now, anyone wanna suggest a good gps app or something I can track my distance and speed with?

Again, sorry OP......your input would be appreciated as well.

There are a bunch. I've used both MyTracks and RunKeeper for android with good success. I'm sure spending a few minutes searching the market/store will give you some good results. They are all pretty straight forward.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    OK, back to the OP... for those of you saying no... Why not? If he's got the time and the daylight, what's the problem?

I'd do it if I could!

I do like the recommendation to try it first on a weekend just to see how your body responds.