A ham sandwich has the same calories as battered cod!

Options
How the hell does that work?! I thought i'd be really good today and have a ham sandwich for lunch :)

....But it turns out it's the same calories as my battered cod that i thought was very unhealthy yesterday evening!! So I might as well have gone back to the chippy!!!! *sighs*

I'm so confuzed because i'd assume a sandwich would be healthier ;/

Replies

• NickBanford
    Options
    Just the fish or the chips to go with it too? Is the sandwich counting butter, mayo or any extras like that and what kind of bread?
  • frillypantz
    Options
    No just the fish itself.

Just brown wholemeal bread (supposedly healthy)
    Low fat vegetable spread (also supposedly healthy)
    and just 2 ham slices at 33cals each
  • NickBanford
    Options
    Yeah then I can see that being right. I used to eat ham sandwiches very often. I usually cut out the bread now and just have either a wrap or a ham salad. I know a few other people too who cut out bread as much as possible.
  • NickBanford
    Options
    The other thing to note is you wouldn't just eat the fish on its own so it would probably make up a much higher calorie meal.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just because it has equal calories doesn't mean it's equally healthy. Twinkies are only like 100 calories, but that doesn't mean they make a healthy lunch.
  • frillypantz
    Options
    but a wrap has the same calories as bread.... well at least the ones we have at home are :/

I wish i could cut out most of my carbs but i tend to get dizzy/lightheaded and irritable if i dont eat them often :(
  • NickBanford
    Options
    Yeah very true! Salt and fat content are important to consider.
  • paulslimjonesbryant
    Options
    look at fat content
  • NickBanford
    Options
    Are you comparing the calories of one wrap to one piece of bread. I have a single wrap instead of two slices of bread and just fill it will salad and cucumber and things. Tends to fill me up as much as a sandwich. I guess I'm lucky as I haven't really been feeling hungry since I started cutting calories (quite sharply).
  • frillypantz
    Options
    fat content is irrelevent as you'd still weigh the same after eating 1000cals or fat or 1000cals or carbs
  • frillypantz
    Options
    my wraps say they are 190cals each
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How the hell does that work?! I thought i'd be really good today and have a ham sandwich for lunch :)

....But it turns out it's the same calories as my battered cod that i thought was very unhealthy yesterday evening!! So I might as well have gone back to the chippy!!!! *sighs*

I'm so confuzed because i'd assume a sandwich would be healthier ;/

a bowl of captain crunch berries with 2% milk is more than mcdonalds big mac. that blew my mind. i am surprised that the media has not attacked the cereal companies yet, i get it, if you just have the suggested serving size it is bette,r but who can eat only 2 spoon fulls of captain crunch?
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know it sux doesn't it.

I had a light meal of cold meats and salad and a tiny bit of potato salad, came home and logged thinking i was a star and it was the same as if I had gotten Maccas!

You know now....
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    fat content is irrelevent as you'd still weigh the same after eating 1000cals or fat or 1000cals or carbs

Right but 1 gram of fat has 9 calories while 1 gram of carbs or protein have 4 calories. You could eat twice as much food for the same calories.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    It's not irrelevant. You would weigh the same but health is not based solely on weight. You are the one talking about one being HEALTHIER than the other.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    sara lee makes a 45calories per slice bread, it satisfy the carb cravings.
  • NickBanford
    Options
    I'll have to check what my wraps are because I'm sure they're not that high. I'll get back to you.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So, the obvious solution is to have BOTH!:bigsmile:
    Maybe not at the same time, but remember, life is to be lived, so just enjoy your meals and think ahead.
    Just plan what you'll eat the next day, look it up in the data base and decide if it's right for you.
    There are no assumptions.
    I've had my world rocked a few times eating things I thought were healthier than they ended up being.
    It happens.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Right but 1 gram of fat has 9 calories while 1 gram of carbs or protein have 4 calories. You could eat twice as much food for the same calories.

Spot on - which means you'll feel more full and therefore less likely to go back to fridge and end up eating more overall.
  • frillypantz
    Options
    But your body burns fat faster than calories... and plus theres no bloated feeling