Already got a fitbit, is an HRM really neccessary?

Options
I have been wearing my fitbit for about a month now and I love it. I must confess though, I am a total gadget harlot. I am always on to a new and better things and I love little gadgets.

As much as I love my fitbit, I am starting a strength training program today and I understand that fitbit does not report accurate calories burn during stationary exercises. What are you rthoughts? Is one favoured over another or would they complement each other?

Replies

• tammy1005
    Options
    I don't know much about FitBit but I did just purchase the Polar Ft7 HRM and I love it! It calculates your calories burned based on your heart rate making it very accurate. I used it on my elliptical which is way off on calories and I had to guess all the time or use MFP. You can use it for any exersice to get your calories burned. Hope this helps and good luck!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    No you don't need a HRM. I thought a fit bit was a HRM, just an upscale one that you whear all the time. I just googled it and it does, it tracks everything.

I would stick with that.
  • willwhite78
    Options
    No you don't need a HRM. I thought a fit bit was a HRM, just an upscale one that you whear all the time. I just googled it and it does, it tracks everything.

I would stick with that.

I'm fairly sure it doesn't track heart rate, although I could be mistaken. I think it just clips on your clothes and counts movements.

http://www.fitbit.com/product/features

I do agree that a HRM isn't necessary though. I like it because it helps me know how hard I should be working in order to maintain a good cardio workout for "X" amount of time, but my bike works just fine without it....it really is just a gadget, but a useful one if you like numbers.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I swear by the HRM I own. It keeps me from having to guess and overeat on calories I actually don't have to use! So it's a win-win!
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options

I would stick with that.

It's not a HRM. It's based on estimates from your movements. It's essentially a high-tech pedometer, so if you aren't doing a cardio-type activity (i.e. your legs are stationary or not moving much) it's not calculating.

I have a HRM and use it for weight training - my calories are off the charts higher than MFP tells me. I wouldn't trade my HRM for anything (and I seriously debated a FitBit for a few months before I opted out.)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I change my answer. The fit bit is not a hrm, (went to the website and did more research) it is a suped up pedometer and only a calorie guestimator.

I would get a HRM and wear it when you do any exercising.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been told by several lifters that a HRM doesn't accurately calculate calories burned during lifting - that it way overestimates. But the nice thing is, with the muscle you build your BMR is higher, so maybe it evens out at the end of the day. I wouldn't eat all my calories back based on what the HRM says for strength training.
    I absolutely love my HRM. Polar FT60. I found out that I was doing cardio waaaay to hard, which is counter-productive, so it's been an indispensable tool for me to get the best workout I possibly can. Totally worth it.
  • Joyja1075
    Joyja1075 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    so I totally caved and went out and bought a Polar FT7 and used it during my lunch hour work out. You're right, it is a tool to use when exercising and I think it complements the fitbit quite well.

My fitbit motivated me to take that extra steps, stairs, the long way home each day but the HRM really does let me get a better and more efficient work out.