Viewpoint of a diet app junkie

Options
As a new user, just wanted to give "big ups" to the MFP. I can speak as the voice of experience when comparing it to other programs as to: 1) The quality & quantity as to what's available in the database, and 2) the ease of entering data (i.e., the user interface). I could reel off a list of probably 15 other programs I've used, ranging from iPad/iPhone iOS apps, to $50 desktop based programs, to Weight Watchers (their iPad, iPhone, and desktop apps). Here is how I would rate the top three that I've used:

1) MFP: The user interface is very intuitive. Sure, even for a computer geek like me, it took a couple of days to find my way around. No program/app I have used even comes close the amount of choices. An example: There is a small local company that makes high quality protein bars and other healthy meals, and even there stuff was in the db. This is a huge time saver. I also love the design of having previous choices where you simply check them when entering. Other programs have "favorites" you can save, but that requires going to another screen. I guess my timing was right in joining MFP, because I am also using their new iPad app, which I think is awesome, and also finds food in their huge db very quickly.

2) Calorie King: This is a very good program that tracks very well, and has a good database. However, MFP has far more choices and brands that show up. Plus, Calorie King is about $50, and their iPad app does not sync with your food diary.

3) Weight Watchers: At first, I thought "this will be easy, I don't have to count calories, just points." This quickly lost it's luster for me. First, MFP does such a clean job of adding calories that there is little benefit between a point system and having a computer calculate calories. I can see where the whole points thing would have been great before the age of on-the-go phone and tablet apps, but not so much anymore. As to the food database, I found WW frustrating. I was constantly having to input everything on the nutritional label because I couldn't find the food in the database, input recipes, could not find less popular brands, etc.

So, in summary, the one free program I've ever tried, MFP, is by far the best. The fact that it's free, has great iOS apps, a supporting and a supporting community is the icing on the cake (low cal icing!).