Healthy Nachos

Options
ConniD
ConniD Posts: 15 Member
Anyone have a healthy nachos recipe? I tried it with ground turkey, guac made w/ avocado and salsa, and low fat cheese and still was at about 900 calories!! I know my portion was out of control but I need help with making one of my favorite meals better for me!

Replies

• KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options

OMG! That is FANTASTIC! Other than the sodium, these would do nicely!

Thanks for the link!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome. Might have to try that for Sunday!
  • ConniD
    ConniD Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks! I wish I could see how much is in a serving size though......anyone find tht?
  • greengirl1978
    greengirl1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I generally try to swap things around a bit with different recipes to improve the nutritional values.

*Chips can have ridiculous amounts of calories! Make sure you make a healthy choice for the foundation of your splurge!
    *Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef
    *Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream (I usually mix half sc and half greek yogurt)
    *Load up the veggies on those nachos
    *Find a fresh salsa that you love and use lots of it
    *Cheese...well, I always shred my own "real cheese" because I can't stand fake foods
    *Guacamole can be made a with just avocado (good fats) or a blend of avocado and white beans

Sometimes when I want nachos I make myself a healthy mini-version of a seven layer dip instead.

Seriously though, as long as you are not consuming large platters of nachos every night you will be FINE! It is important to be disciplined, but it is also important not to deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy because that is what leads people to feeling unfulfilled and quitting their weight loss goals.

So...eat your nachos and enjoy them, but try a few more swaps and alternatives as you go. :)
  • ZombieChaser
    Options
    Hi! I generally try to swap things around a bit with different recipes to improve the nutritional values.

*Chips can have ridiculous amounts of calories! Make sure you make a healthy choice for the foundation of your splurge!
    *Ground Turkey instead of Ground Beef
    *Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream (I usually mix half sc and half greek yogurt)
    *Load up the veggies on those nachos
    *Find a fresh salsa that you love and use lots of it
    *Cheese...well, I always shred my own "real cheese" because I can't stand fake foods
    *Guacamole can be made a with just avocado (good fats) or a blend of avocado and white beans

Sometimes when I want nachos I make myself a healthy mini-version of a seven layer dip instead.

Seriously though, as long as you are not consuming large platters of nachos every night you will be FINE! It is important to be disciplined, but it is also important not to deprive yourself of the foods you enjoy because that is what leads people to feeling unfulfilled and quitting their weight loss goals.

So...eat your nachos and enjoy them, but try a few more swaps and alternatives as you go. :)

^^thanks :) Those are great ideas!
  • jnbud2002
    Options
    I <3's nachos too! I'm gonna hafta try this recipe, it looks delish!
  • kirbykez
    kirbykez Posts: 122
    Options
    I love nachos this is GREAT!
  • ZombieChaser
    Options
    Yum! Thanks! I wish I could see how much is in a serving size though......anyone find tht?

Well, it said that it makes 12 servings... so if you take 100 chips (as per recipe) and divide by 12 you get roughly 8 chips with equal topping ratio...hopefully my math is serving me well this morning... oy...lol
  • luvsdeals
    luvsdeals Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    http://frostedbakeshop.blogspot.com/2010/05/guacamole-salsa.html
    this guacamole salsa is awesome and it comes out to 13 calories per tablespoon. (It makes a pint of the salsa)
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    I make these from skinnytaste.com:
    They are SO good!! Huge hit at Christmas and my New Year's Eve party!!

Skinny Loaded Nachos with Turkey, Beans and Cheese
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: about 14 chips • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 9 pts
    Calories: 347 • Fat: 9.4 g • Protein: 27.1 g • Carb: 40.6 g • Fiber: 7.1 g

Ingredients:

4 oz baked tortilla chips (I used Baked Tostitos Scoops)
    8 oz 99% lean turkey breast
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp garlic powder
    salt and pepper
    1 cup fat free spicy black bean dip
    1 1/3 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese like Weight Watchers
    2 cups pico de gallo salsa
    1/2 cup light sour cream
    2/3 cup fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 425°. Place 1 oz (about 14) chips on four oven-proof dishes or one large baking sheet.

Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Add turkey. Season with cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. When cooked, add bean dip and mix well.

Spoon the turkey mixture over the chips and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake until cheese melts, about 6 minutes.

Remove the nachos from the oven, top with pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro and jalepeños. Serve immediately.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/skinny-nachos-with-turkey-beans-and.html
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options

12 servings
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    It serves 12 so if you make it you will need to divide it into 12 servings. The calories they list is for 1 serving. 2 servings would be like eating a nacho supreme from Taco Bell, per their own description. Hope that helps!
  • KimR87
    KimR87 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

It doesnt really say the serving size but it says it serves 12 so you can kind of take a guess
  • kiwi1003
    kiwi1003 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried vegetarian ground-beef substitute, you should use that instead of the beef or turkey. Seriously, adding the taco seasoning and all the other goodies on top, you won't even notice the difference.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    bump bump bump

Good idea for sunday
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    I also found this taco dip from skinnytaste. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds good!

Skinny Taco Dip
    Servings: 24 • Serving Size: 1/24th of dip • Old Points: 1.5 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 59.2 • Fat: 3.6 g • Protein: 2.2 g • Carb: 4.7 g • Fiber: 0.6 g

8 oz 1/3 less fat Philadelphia cream cheese
    8 oz reduced fat sour cream
    16 oz jar mild salsa
    1 packet taco seasoning
    2 cups iceberg lettuce, shredded
    2 large tomatoes, diced
    1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
    2.25 oz black olives,
    In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, salsa and taco seasoning and mix well with an electric mixer. Spread on the bottom of a large shallow glass dish. Top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese and black olives. Serve with baked tortilla chips.
  • kaelawilliford
    Options
    bump!
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    BUMP