At my wits end...

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for almost 12 months. After realising I'd been accidently eating too little for a long time (1200-1300 calories with moderate to heavy exercise), I immediately boosted my daily intake and went and had a metabolism test done.

My metabolism test came back at 1320 RMR (at 5"2 and 145 lbs) and a nutritionist advised I eat 1480-1500 (she calculated my maintenance for lightly active to be at 1848) she advised to eat this amount regardless of exercise, and not to eat back exercise calories burnt.

I'm at a loss of what to do now. I've been eating unprocessed wholefoods to fill this intake and burning 400+ calories during workouts - i have a HRM with a strap - and still im unable to lose more than 2 lbs before it stops. I've had a total body check up and my hormones etc are all clear... I'm completely baffled as to what to do.

I should note when i eat 1200-1300 calories my weight completely comes to a halt. I become cranky and irritable/light headed, so I feel like lowering my calorie intake isn't really an option.

Any suggestions/ideas as to what to do next? I'm trying to wrap my head around eating exercise calories back-however my rationale at the moment is if my maintenance calories are around 1848, and I burn off 400, then eat that 400 back, isn't that going to keep me at maintenance level?

Replies

• dd564
    dd564 Posts: 1
    Options
    How many times a day are you eating?

It might be a good idea to eat every couple hours in 200 calorie portions.

Breakfast 200-250
    Pre-lunch (10:00 AM) 100 - 200
    Lunch 200 - 300
    Post Lunch Snack 100 - 200
    Dinner 200 - 300
    Post dinner snack (if calories allow) 100 - 200 calories.

Also, make sure you're getting enough sleep.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary...
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    When I stopped losing I increased cals and lost more. The mood swings suggest under eating still, IMHO. How's your energy level towards the end of your workouts? Listen to your body. If you're drained all the time and miserable I'd say eat more healthy cals.
  • pinkmotels
    Options
    I don't track my calories in MFP, i use another calorie tracker but MFP has more active forums. I definitely track everything/weigh everything with a food scale, so I'm 99% certain I'm not overestimating what I'm eating. I also keep my macros around 30% fat, 30% protein, around 40% carbs give or take.
  • pinkmotels
    Options
    How many times a day are you eating?

It might be a good idea to eat every couple hours in 200 calorie portions.

Breakfast 200-250
    Pre-lunch (10:00 AM) 100 - 200
    Lunch 200 - 300
    Post Lunch Snack 100 - 200
    Dinner 200 - 300
    Post dinner snack (if calories allow) 100 - 200 calories.

Also, make sure you're getting enough sleep.

Eating every 2.5-3 hours, at regular times when I'm hungry and I'm choosing the right foods for my body to stabilise my blood sugar levels. The 'getting enough sleep' thing I could probably improve on though.
  • pinkmotels
    Options
    When I stopped losing I increased cals and lost more. The mood swings suggest under eating still, IMHO. How's your energy level towards the end of your workouts? Listen to your body. If you're drained all the time and miserable I'd say eat more healthy cals.

Since eating at 1500 calories I have a LOT more energy, and feel a lot better in general but the weight still isn't coming off. I feel good after workouts and definitely not too exhausted even though I'm burning on average 470-500 calories each time.
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If your diet is as on track as you make it sound, what does your exercise routine look like? Are you doing the same workout you have always done? You should be changing up your workouts to keep your body in constant state of change. If you are only doing cardio, switch it up and lift. You need to keep your body guessing...
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for almost 12 months. After realising I'd been accidently eating too little for a long time (1200-1300 calories with moderate to heavy exercise), I immediately boosted my daily intake and went and had a metabolism test done.

My metabolism test came back at 1320 RMR (at 5"2 and 145 lbs) and a nutritionist advised I eat 1480-1500 (she calculated my maintenance for lightly active to be at 1848) she advised to eat this amount regardless of exercise, and not to eat back exercise calories burnt.

I'm at a loss of what to do now. I've been eating unprocessed wholefoods to fill this intake and burning 400+ calories during workouts - i have a HRM with a strap - and still im unable to lose more than 2 lbs before it stops. I've had a total body check up and my hormones etc are all clear... I'm completely baffled as to what to do.

I should note when i eat 1200-1300 calories my weight completely comes to a halt. I become cranky and irritable/light headed, so I feel like lowering my calorie intake isn't really an option.

Any suggestions/ideas as to what to do next? I'm trying to wrap my head around eating exercise calories back-however my rationale at the moment is if my maintenance calories are around 1848, and I burn off 400, then eat that 400 back, isn't that going to keep me at maintenance level?

No. If your base calories are 1500 and you burn off and then eat back 400, then your net calories are 1500, not 1900. I'd eat back at least enough to net your RMR. That is, if your base calories for the day are 1500 and you burn off an extra 400 hundred with exercise, you net 1100. Eating back 220 calories would bring you back up to your RMR of 1320.

If you aren't weighing your food now, it would be a good idea to start. You're running on a relatively tight deficit if your numbers are right and it's easy to underestimate your caloric intake if you're going mostly by volume. Oh, I see you do use a scale. Never mind...

If your current exercise program is all or mostly cardio, I'd cut back a little on that and get serious about strength training. Lift weights.