Do you workout sick?

Options
I feel crummy. Throat hurts, swollen glands, stuffy nose, and sluggish. Does anyone out there just workout anyway and just barrel through it? I feel like such a sissy lala, but I am in Nursing school and I can not afford to be more sick and miss any days. Taking it easy makes me feel like a big loser girl.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends on how bad I feel and how long & intensive that day's workout is...if it's head congestion, I can usually power through it, but if it's crud in the chest, it's probably best to sit it out today. Or if you just feel craptacular all the way around, you should take a break and rest. :) Eat well today, drink lots of water, and hopefully you will kick this bug to the curb in a short amount of time.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I totally would. Then use the sauna for as long as you can stand it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, the "rule" I've heard is that if it's above the neck it's ok to work out with, if it's below the neck, you need to rest.

My own experience is that when I feel slightly bad, a workout helps me feel better.

Another consideration is that, if you workout at a gym, whether or not you are such a self-centered a-hole that you would risk spreading your germs to other people, just so you can get your workout in. I know I am.
  • DeenaSteelerGirl
    Options
    I have done both. Just depends on how I feel. Like yesterday.. went to gym with stomach virus symptoms. Had a great workout.. came home and threw up....lol. :sick:
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes... sometimes no... it all depends on how crappy I feel and how badly I feel I need the workout. The alternative is to do something less intense but still get a workout of some sort in, be it walking or whatever.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    yup, only way that i get better faster
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I have been sick for a week, sore throat, stuffed up, had a fever, headache. I made myself go to the gym. I didnt do as much cardio cause I couldnt breathe =) but I did weights just fine. I felt better after each workout. Id say go for it. If it bothers you just go home and take a nap =)
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Once the head congestion is gone, yes - I can't deal with a plugged up head. If all I have is the lingering cough - I'm all over doing my workouts, perhaps at a little more relaxed pace.

I just got over a cold - didn't work out for 3 days, but then did a 6 mile run on Sunday - by the end of the run, I felt rejuvenated.
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If it's a cold yes, if I have a fever, no! I've read that working out (but not OVER doing it) can actually help you recover more quickly. Something to do with the movement of your muscles help your lymphnodes work more effiecently. I definately agree with the others that rest and lots of liquids are VERY important. I like the sauna idea too.
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    workout just not at the same intensity that you usually do. It will make you feel better. When you start sweating, you get rid of a lot of toxins in your body. Not to mention the exercise will boost your energy level
  • AngelJLV83
    AngelJLV83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am up and moving. Gonna go workout. Thanks for all the input. :)