Mentally Adjusting to Being Smaller

Options
How do you adjust mentally when you become smaller? I have lost nearly 30 pounds but I still feel as heavy as I did when I started this journey in January. I have another 45 to go but I'm worried that I'll always feel like "that fat girl" at the party.

How have those of you who have lost a lot of weight cope with this? Or do you not feel this way at all?

Replies

• fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How do you adjust mentally when you become smaller? I have lost nearly 30 pounds but I still feel as heavy as I did when I started this journey in January. I have another 45 to go but I'm worried that I'll always feel like "that fat girl" at the party.

How have those of you who have lost a lot of weight cope with this? Or do you not feel this way at all?
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I have days where I feel like I'm still 50 pounds heavier...they are coming less often now. I have no idea how to make that part go away, just wanted you to know that most of us do it.:flowerforyou:
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo with you!!!! I went out last weekend with my friends. They're all younger than me and thinner (well, used to be) I felt like I was the biggest girl there. They sent me pictures from that night and I look so much thinner than they did. I was shocked!
    I walk around and still feel VERY huge and sometimes ugly. I know I have to work on myself mentally/emotionally.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24lbs and I know what you mean--I don't think that there is a magic number, because it ultimately comes down to retraining your own self to see yourself in a new way.

I have the similar issues to what you are describing, and I was told to do activities which bring me into contact with myself in a really positive way. Like yoga or belly-dancing.

It's a long climb and I still think of myself as fat... but I also don't cringe anymore when I see my own reflection in the mirrors at the gym, so I have to trust that I'm headed in the right direction.
  • keishigomu
    Options
    Oh, I'm so with you! I'm almost exactly the same! I still have a lot to go, but despite being in clothes sizes I only dreamed of for most of my life, I just can't see how much weight I've lost still. Not only that, but I was honestly much more confident about my looks before. I'm only now just starting to readjust... but still not really. My friends think I'm crazy, because I look so much better now, to which I think "uh, was there something wrong with me before?" -_- It's amazing, isn't it?
  • fishernd
    Options
    I have the similar issues to what you are describing, and I was told to do activities which bring me into contact with myself in a really positive way. Like yoga or belly-dancing.

I like that idea -- I've never done Yoga before and I might take that up once this session of bootcamp ends. Maybe that will help. Thanks everyone! It's nice to know I'm not alone in this feeling :0)

:flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I keep getting surprised at the same pair of pants that now fit me. Everytime I go to put them on, and they fit, I get a little shock, and then I go - Oh Yeah, these fit now!

It will just take time to readjust our thinking
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think it is still a work in progress I still find myself looking at clothing that is 4 sizes too big, and then I get anxious when I grab the correct size for fear it won't fit. I like the yoga, belly dancing idea, that is great.

I keep a before photo out on my fridge as a reminder of how far I have come, that helps keep me focused.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever completely goes away. When I was a small child I was very heavy, and I was picked on and made fun of and I learned to just look at my shoes and be quiet and I thought of myself as less "cool/cute/hot/attractive/popular" than the other kids.

When I hit 14 puberty attacked me with both barrels. I grew into my weight and developed a great bone structure and hit the gym and wound up looking pretty decent. I've talked with old classmates (I didn't have a lot of "friends") who say "Man, you were a little hottie back in school,,,". Even my teenage daughter looks at my old pics and says wow Dad,,, you were cute!

I had no idea. I still "looked at my shoes and be quiet and I thought of myself as less "cool/cute/hot/attractive/popular" than the other kids". Self esteem wasn't high, still isn't. I'm clawing my way back semi-attractiveness now, but I just know that inside I'll always be the fat kid.

Tattoos and scars really are different things - and lots of us have several of each, some of which you can see. It gets better, but I doubt it ever completely goes away.

((Boo hoo hoo,,, sorry, whining over, Hehehe))
  • fishernd
    Options
    ** bump **
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    You know-- check yourself out in the mirror as often as you can. Seriously-- I'll turn sideways every time I walk by a mirror and can't believe how much less of me there is. My kids laugh at me, but it's motivating since I will no doubt always think of myself as fat.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    its HARD AS HECK seeing yourself as a littler person. I used to make cracks bout my fat behind even at a size 6 cause it was a defense mechanism when i was in the 200 club(I make a joke before anyone else could) and that was hard to break from. Im getting used to it
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    its HARD AS HECK seeing yourself as a littler person. I used to make cracks bout my fat behind even at a size 6 cause it was a defense mechanism when i was in the 200 club(I make a joke before anyone else could) and that was hard to break from. Im getting used to it

You know what I'm talking about, thanks. And BTW, you rock :happy:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It gets easier with time. I am now to the point that when I go shopping I don't even get close to the med and lg sizes as I did when I first lost most of the weight. Today I went to Express and I knew I could wear s and xs clothes but the girl that was helping me kept trying to give me sizes m and lg. I guess people also see me larger than I actually am and that does not help at all!!!! I do get satisfaction when I come out of the dressing room wearing a smaller size and they realize they made a mistake. :noway: :laugh: You will soon embrace your smaller body. :flowerforyou:
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I lost 32 lbs and I am disturbed that people are paying attention to me. Gosh! It's not like I won the Nobel Peace Prize! So, because I was big.....people ignored me!? It is frustrating. If they notice an improvement, that's one thing....but to start treating me nicer....that is wrong!
    Health is the goal, not looks. That's just my opinion!
  • Marla64
    Options
    I lost 32 lbs and I am disturbed that people are paying attention to me. Gosh! It's not like I won the Nobel Peace Prize! So, because I was big.....people ignored me!? It is frustrating. If they notice an improvement, that's one thing....but to start treating me nicer....that is wrong!
    Health is the goal, not looks. That's just my opinion!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth-- people being nice is a good thing. They don't want something from you, maybe they respect you more because you're doing something really good for yourself-- I never get this complaint. People being nice to you is a good thing. What's your beef?

maybe it's just me-- but I never get this-- ???
  • amycakes812
    amycakes812 Posts: 441
    Options
    I am having the same issues. It is good to know I am not alone in this! From my chest up, I can see a huge difference, but anything below that, I still see me 55 pounds ago. This basiaclly makes me feel like I am living in one of those mirrors in a fun house! :laugh:
    All kidding aside, I know I have lost a lot of weight, I know I am in the smallest size I think I have ever worn, and I know I am in the best shape of my life, but I am having a hell of a time reconciling all that with my new body vs. the old me.
    Because of the body perception issues, I have my husband and a few very close friends on strict orders to tell me if I lose too much. Hopefully one day we can all wake up and see the progress we have made and not feel like "the fat kid" anymore.
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't look a gift horse in the mouth-- people being nice is a good thing. They don't want something from you, maybe they respect you more because you're doing something really good for yourself-- I never get this complaint. People being nice to you is a good thing. What's your beef?

[/quote]

People assume that I've always been fat and lazy. Well I've had injuries over the years that have set me back. I've always been athletic and even now, at they gym, there are times when I'm running circles around people that are much "thinner" than me.
    I appreciate compliments, but when people say, oh you should wear makeup more since you are looking better...that irks me. People telling me, oh, you've lost weight, you'll get more dates. It's irritating! People should be nice to one another because of the great inner qualities they have, not because of the outer shell! I'm doing this to be healthy and feel good, not to fit in a certain size or be a certain weight.
    It is an adjustment for me, I'll give you that, since I'm not used to the attention. But I think the reason most of my friends are guys is that many woman focus on the shallow, unimportant things. I'm not saying that's you, but I just don't like that LOOKS represents success. I rather someone see me crank out some pullups and say WOW she's doing great rather than oohh your looking better!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I don't think it ever completely goes away. When I was a small child I was very heavy, and I was picked on and made fun of and I learned to just look at my shoes and be quiet and I thought of myself as less "cool/cute/hot/attractive/popular" than the other kids.

When I hit 14 puberty attacked me with both barrels. I grew into my weight and developed a great bone structure and hit the gym and wound up looking pretty decent. I've talked with old classmates (I didn't have a lot of "friends") who say "Man, you were a little hottie back in school,,,". Even my teenage daughter looks at my old pics and says wow Dad,,, you were cute!

I had no idea. I still "looked at my shoes and be quiet and I thought of myself as less "cool/cute/hot/attractive/popular" than the other kids". Self esteem wasn't high, still isn't. I'm clawing my way back semi-attractiveness now, but I just know that inside I'll always be the fat kid.

Tattoos and scars really are different things - and lots of us have several of each, some of which you can see. It gets better, but I doubt it ever completely goes away.

((Boo hoo hoo,,, sorry, whining over, Hehehe))

This is so true. I was always told I was really fat - looking at my high school photos, I'm going, you think THAT was fat? I swear my body image didn't change at all when I'm over 100 pounds more than that, and I wasn't skinny, just healthy, in high school.

To answer the original question, you do need to work on your self-image/body image. It will not magically change just because you lost weight. I had facial reconstructive surgery years ago and it totally changed how I look because it changed the bone structure of my face. My own family didn't recognize me, the change was that big. I had some pics taken at glamor shots and put them up around my apartment so I could see myself in my new face. I couldn't look in a mirror because it wasn't "me" but putting the pictures up and seeing them all the time got me used to my new face, and my thinking eventually adjusted where I feel like it's "me" now. I can't even see the difference in my face when I compare pictures from before and after, both are just "me". That's what worked for me, and I imagine when I finally lose all this weight I might have to do something similar to get used to my new body and adjust my body image.
  • Marla64
    Options

People assume that I've always been fat and lazy. Well I've had injuries over the years that have set me back. I've always been athletic and even now, at they gym, there are times when I'm running circles around people that are much "thinner" than me.
    I appreciate compliments, but when people say, oh you should wear makeup more since you are looking better...that irks me. People telling me, oh, you've lost weight, you'll get more dates. It's irritating! People should be nice to one another because of the great inner qualities they have, not because of the outer shell! I'm doing this to be healthy and feel good, not to fit in a certain size or be a certain weight.
    It is an adjustment for me, I'll give you that, since I'm not used to the attention. But I think the reason most of my friends are guys is that many woman focus on the shallow, unimportant things. I'm not saying that's you, but I just don't like that LOOKS represents success. I rather someone see me crank out some pullups and say WOW she's doing great rather than oohh your looking better!
    [/quote]

Well, now you're talking about people just being stupid-- people say stupid things all the time, whether you're fat or thin-- that's not going to change.

It's the way it is-- people see outside before they see inside. It's nice when there's a great combination of both, and if one has to choose one or the other it's wise to choose the great inside-- but it doesn't work that way.

Again, I think focusing on the irritation caused by stupid people is going to shoot you in the foot-- you're doing this for you, anyway-- right? Worry not what idiotic things people will say, nor how much attention you're getting for doing good for your body. I'm guessing you DO look better doing your pullups-- so what's the beef? Whether someone says, hey you're doing great, or you're looking better-- both are no doubt true. I'm sure you may get more dates 32 pounds lighter, and no doubt more as you continue to lose-- it's the way it is. Maybe not the way it should be, but how it is. Railing against it isn't going to help you.

Do your part-- treat people as you would like them to treat you, work hard on improving yourself, continue to do good for you body and soul, and let the rest of the crap roll off your back. People mean well, generally speaking, when they say their stupid things-- they're just-- well, to be redundant, stupid.

Have a great day--