Is it harder to lose weight when you have less body fat?

Options
I currently weight 140 but I lost 4 pounds but somehow it came back on over night! But my question is, If you have a smaller weight and a smaller goal is it harder to lose? Iv seen where people carry more weight lose weight real quick in a short amount a of time, it seems to me that its so hard to even lose 5 pounds on my frame. Is this normal? are there any exercises that i can do that can help me boost weight loss?

Replies

• bciochetti
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate from day to day quite drastically, so maybe switch to weighing yourself less often. Make sure it is the same scale and the same time of day as well.

You should probably start thinking in % of body weight lost instead of pounds. You losing 5 pounds is 3.5% of your body weight. People on the Biggest Loser don't even lose that on a regular basis and all they do is work out.

As long as you maintain a slight deficit and keep up with working out it will come off eventually. My GF is 148 and maybe loses a pound a week right now.
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm having this problem too. Been working out 6 days a week for a month and staying under my weekly calories always. But the scale has hardly moved. I only want to lose ten lbs so it's not a huge deal but it can be discouraging.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I currently weight 140 but I lost 4 pounds but somehow it came back on over night! But my question is, If you have a smaller weight and a smaller goal is it harder to lose? Iv seen where people carry more weight lose weight real quick in a short amount a of time, it seems to me that its so hard to even lose 5 pounds on my frame. Is this normal? are there any exercises that i can do that can help me boost weight loss?

Yes, you are absolutely correct. When you're carrying a lot of weight, it takes more energy to move it, so heavier people burn calories quicker. If you look at your friends exercises levels and calorie intakes who are larger you'll (hopefully if they're healthy) notice them eating more then you, loosing more pounds a week then you, and exercise periods they'll burn a hell of a lot more then you. Sometimes when I'm reading other peoples feeds I'm like "Damn it..." until I realize it would take a whole lot of effort for me to burn that much...then I forget about it and eat a chocolate bar. :P

How tall are you? I started at a bit over your weight and came here at 140. Gluck!
  • lctuck
    lctuck Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also having this problem. I have 20 pounds to lose and am older, I think that is another problem in itself. I workout hard 4 days a week, am usually under my caloric intake, and have only lost 1 pound in two weeks. I need HELP
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    yeah im 5'3
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Weight loss goes much slower when you are already small. Just keep at it and it will eventually come off.