Salad Dressing

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
You may think you are being good having a salad as a meal, but salad dressing can add tons of calories, fat, sodium, and ultimately ruin your day. It is hard to find a good salad dressing that is actually low calorie without adding all kinds of unnatural ingredients. What I use on my salad is Red Wine Vinegar. It is the best bet to avoid the extra calories, I love the taste of it. Adding a little pepper will tone down the vinegar if it is too much for you!

Replies

• AwMyLoLo
    Options
    You may think you are being good having a salad as a meal, but salad dressing can add tons of calories, fat, sodium, and ultimately ruin your day. It is hard to find a good salad dressing that is actually low calorie without adding all kinds of unnatural ingredients. What I use on my salad is Red Wine Vinegar. It is the best bet to avoid the extra calories, I love the taste of it. Adding a little pepper will tone down the vinegar if it is too much for you!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I am a BIG fan of Newman's Own Sesame Ginger dressing. SOOOOOO yummy and only 35 cals per 2 tbsp.
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ooo! That's a great idea! Im going to try that out.

I use a little olive oil and a lot of lemon juice and lemon pepper :) The combination is great :)
  • kileenas
    kileenas Posts: 14
    Options
    Also seasoned rice vinegar with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano is delicious. My favorite!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    Thanks for the other great ideas! I LOVE ginger, I should try it. Also, be sure to read the ingredients to make sure there is no High Fructose Corn Syrup.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    I love Kraft Light Asian Toasted Sesame...only 60 calories but it doesn't taste light at all. I would like to use olive oil, but I don't like lemon flavored things and I think olive oil is too bland. Any other suggestions?
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Homemade French Dressing

2 tbsp red wine vinegar
    1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 tsp honey
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1 clove of garlic, minced

Dissolve the sea salt and honey in the vinegar. Add garlic and oil. Eat. :flowerforyou:
    I love Kraft Light Asian Toasted Sesame...only 60 calories but it doesn't taste light at all. I would like to use olive oil, but I don't like lemon flavored things and I think olive oil is too bland. Any other suggestions?
    The Asian Toasted Sesame is one of my favorite from Kraft.:heart: I also like Kraft's Light Balsamic Vinaigrette (25 calories for 2 tbsp).
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    Newman's Own light honey mustard - 70 calories for 2 TBS. If you put 1/4 C cottage cheese in your salad it helps a little dressing go a long way!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    If you like a creamy type dressing try using the good seasons dry packets, but when you make it, use plain yogurt instead of oil.

My favorite right now is the Kraft 3-cheese light dressing, I only use about a tablespoon (35 calories) and then I'll also top my salad with sliced pepperoncinis and their juice - makes a nice flavor :smile:
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    I use Fat Free sour cream to make a ranch dip. That with some salsa is GREAT on chicken taco salad.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I really like Walden Farms' dressings, some are sugar-free, calorie free, etc.
  • oodesireoo
    Options
    sooooo........ my balsamic vinegarette is not a good choice.. heh! this whole time i was thinking i was doing good.. (well, compared to burger and fries) But its sooooo good!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I am a BIG fan of Newman's Own Sesame Ginger dressing. SOOOOOO yummy and only 35 cals per 2 tbsp.
    I love that stuff too. I make a yummy chicken/spinach/fruit salad to go with it.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own light honey mustard - 70 calories for 2 TBS. If you put 1/4 C cottage cheese in your salad it helps a little dressing go a long way!

Along with the cottage cheese, I add canned beets. Yummy!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I really like Walden Farms' dressings, some are sugar-free, calorie free, etc.

Me too- I use it for everything- on salad, as a veggie dip, and my favorite... I use the blue cheese with 99% fat free chicken to make "buffalo chicken" for dinner... yum!
  • Shadowpaws
    Shadowpaws Posts: 109
    Options
    I tried this yesterday, it was awesome! Thanks for the tips! :wink:
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own Sesame Ginger is amazing! Everyone I know loves it!

Also: WIshbone fat free Italian is awesome. It's simple and the cheapest one at the grocery store. This is also good for marinades and sometimes I cut cucumbers or carrots and drizzle a little bit of the Wishbone Fat Free Italian on top.

Newman's Own has a lot of fat free and low calorie dressings that taste so good. I'd recommend trying one if you're looking for a delicious low-cal low-fat dressing.
  • ronkswife2000
    Options
    I just got back from the grocery store and spent about 10 minutes looking at salad dressings lol... I found something a little different, it's made by Wish Bone and it's the salad spritzers- Ranch vinaigrette dressing. There's 15 calories and 1 gram of fat in 10 sprays. I haven't tried it yet but that might be a good way to go also. They had about 5 different flavors.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, after reading this thread, I went out and bought some Newman's own Light Sesame Ginger and LOVE it!!! Thanks so much for the recommendation :flowerforyou:
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I LOVE salad spritzers.

Balzamic Vinegrette with a salad w/ apples and turkey....SOOO GOOD!!