Spaghetti Squash

Options
I have heard you can bake a spaghetti squash and then take a fork and rake it down the squash and it makes noodle like strands, has the same consistency as spaghetti noodles and doesnt really have a taste and then put what ever sauce you want on it anyone tried this? I looked up the nutrition for it and 1 cup is 42 cal where spaghetti noodles is 210. That would be great if I can make that substitution.

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I cook it on a regular basis and love it because you can dress it up like pasta, but it's healthier. It doesn't have the same texture... it's a bit crunchier in a vegetable sort of way, but I think it's good. Bake it with plenty of garlic on it.

You can add your favorite marinara or meat sauce and toss in plenty of vegetables.
  • nlhr2011
    nlhr2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Do you cut it before you bake it or bake it whole? Thanks for the reply!
  • stichstres
    stichstres Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We have spaghetti Squash at least twice a week. I cut mine in half scrape out the seeds and loose stuff, turn cut side down and bake until fork tender. I make a mixture of 8 oz. 99% lean ground turkey browned, to a can of fire roasted tomatoes and italian seasonings. Yummy and easy.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I cut mine in two and then scoop out the seeds. Then I rub some olive oil over the entire thing and place cut side down on a lined cookie sheet. I then cook it for about 40min at 350-375 until tender.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Love Love speghetti squash, no longer do I use noodles!
  • nlhr2011
    nlhr2011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    mmm...sound yummy I am going to try it!! Thanks for the info.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's not the same as pasta, but works well. My beef with spaghetti squash is that it can be awfully wet - so I scrape the cooked flesh into a clean kitchen towel and literally wring it out. It's tricky to do while it's hot, but totally worth it IMHO. Makes a huge difference in the wetness/texture.
  • rachelmarie2774
    Options
    YES! My Grandma made a Spaghetti Squash dinner one night and I didn't even realize that they weren't noodles, it was really good!
  • cosmoholic
    Options
    mmmmm I love spaghetti squash! I either bake or microwave it whole (i.e. do not cut it in half), then when tender cut it in half, scoop out the seeds & go. Make sure you poke it with a fork first though.

Great with any sauce you like (we've used vodka sauce, spaghetti sauce...) but it is not exactly the same as pasta (different consistency, a bit crunchier). I love it though!

Also - you can bake the seeds just like pumpkin seeds! I like with just a bit of salt & cayenne pepper/curry powder, or with cinnamon. mmmm
  • gennybunny1
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash as well and I actually baked it in the oven like I make baked pasta with marinara and chesse and it was sooo good.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters.....it's awesome!! I serve it pretty much the same way I would as regular spaghetti noodles....pasta sauce with ground turkey or chicken, with mushrooms, olives, and capers.....pretty tasty!! =]
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    once it's cooked you can do anything with it! I have made it sweet, with a little butter and splenda, and it's good. I also sautee it it to reheat in olive oil and garlic and sprinkle it with parmesan. Add a protein and you're done!
  • athearenee
    Options
    Ooh!!
    I gotta try that!!
    Do they sell it at any grocery store??
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    has anyone ever used shredded zucchini as a "noodle" for spaghetti sauce? i can't remember where I read that, but I'm sure it was on this site somewhere. Just wondering how you'd soften up the zucchini before adding sauce? Steaming? Microwave? Not sure... But I like the idea because zucchini is one of those things that could soak up the flavour of the sauce and wouldn't add many calories. :happy:

I also saw a post a while back where someone used thin slices of zucchini as a substitute for lasagna noodles. Neat idea! What will they come up with next?! :laugh:
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love it! It is completely different from spaghetti noodles so don't go into it expecting them to be similar because you'll be disappointed. It has a great butter flavor all in its self and goes great with tomato sauce. Sometimes I just toss it with evoo, a little garlic, and little parmesan.. YUMMY!
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    I have loved spaghetti squash for years, cook it and add some Alfredo or pesto and sautéed chicken, it's amazing!!! I might make some tonight now that it's in my head!!
  • mamalade1
    Options
    Spag squash is great! I actually prefer it now over noodles. Also zucchini: use a veggie peeler or mandoline to cut thin broad strips, steam them, and top with whatever sauce you want.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I love it and my kids will eat it. They know it isn't noodles, but they don't care. They say it tastes even better. Boys age 3 and 5.
  • Blessedmommy_2x
    Blessedmommy_2x Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    YEAP!!! I LOVE Spaghetti Squash! I top it with a hearty homemade spaghetti sauce and it is SO good!!! AND I can get the toddlers to eat it- they don't know the difference!

There is a difference, it has a little more bite to it, but it is so good- In fact, I'm making it one night this week for dinner!