Questions About Eating Clean

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I am interested in learning how to eat clean, and have a few questions.

1. My understanding is that eating clean involves eating not processed/minimally processed foods. Am I understanding eating clean correctly?

2. Is drawing the line on eating clean a personal decision? For instance, I know the Paleo diet is pretty much all or nothing, and seems to be pretty firm in what it allows. But, suppose I eat something processed (Whole grain Wheat Thins, for instance), is this still eating clean? Or is that considered a heavily processed food?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but I'm interested in learning what this is all about. :)

Replies

• theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bump. I'm interested as well.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Your question is not dumb, clean eating is a confusing topic specifically because there is no one definition of clean eating. It is very open to interpretation.

Most people will agree clean eating involves eating whole, unprocessed foods along with minimally processed foods. The problem is there isn't a clear line as to what is minimally processed. Paleo doesn't include grains. Tosco Reno's clean eating included things like greek yogurt and items that are made with all natural ingredients but still what some would consider processed.

Many people i know who try to eat a clean as possible subscribed to the 80/20 or 90/10 idea where 80-90 percent of the food they eat is their idea of "clean". The other 10 - 20 percent may not be considered "clean".
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Yes, clean eating as far as Paleo is concerned includes no processed foods including grains (wheat, corn and anything similar to it), as well as beans and vegetable oils. I'm doing Primal eating, a different version of Paleo that allows for raw whole milk products for the probiotic and full fat effects.

I don't know why you would want to eat Wheat Thins if you understand how they affect the gut and your weight gain/loss. If you're truly interested in knowing how Paleo works, read the Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain or the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson (or marksdailyapple.com). There are some very valid scientific reasons behind not using whole grains and it's an all or nothing kind of thing. For me, I chose to take the plunge because I have thyroid problems and was overweight. I have learned so much about how these processed foods (yes, I'm talking about Wheat Thins) have a negative impact on my body composition and my health. In only 3-1/2 weeks, I've dropped almost 20 lbs and have already lowered my thyroid medication to less than half of what I was taking. If that's not real results and anecdotal evidence, I'm not sure what is.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys, I think I understand a little bit better now.

For me, I don't want to just lose weight, I want to find a healthy lifestyle that I can stick to. For me, eating clean seems to be that lifestyle. I know a lot of people lose weight by eating their favorite foods, only less of them, but more me that's not going to work. I KNOW I'll binge on them.

Right now, my grocery plan consists of shopping the outer edge of the store, away from most of the processed foods. I eat a lot of fresh fruits, have to do frozen veggies for various reasons, eat nuts, lean meats, dairy. However, I do still get a loaf of whole wheat (100% stone ground wheat, not the "enriched" wheat flour), and a box of Wheat Thins when I go. Both of these will last me a couple weeks, so it's not like I eat a lot of it, but I like the taste and having a little every so often keeps me away from all those tasty pastries I used to eat so much of.

So, does that sound like "clean" eating to you guys? Do I have the right idea? I'm not necessarily interested in the Paleo diet, as I do stil eat some grains and beans, but I guess I'm looking more for an unprocessed diet. Something I can pick up, and eat it in its raw form. I would say at least 75% of my diet is like that right now.

And, even if it still needs work, it's a LONG way from what I used to eat!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It sounds good to me! I know that I have found that when I eat something like a dorito or some nonsense like that I will get kind of nauseated, so it will become easier and easier to eat that way.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I am interested in learning how to eat clean, and have a few questions.

1. My understanding is that eating clean involves eating not processed/minimally processed foods. Am I understanding eating clean correctly?

2. Is drawing the line on eating clean a personal decision? For instance, I know the Paleo diet is pretty much all or nothing, and seems to be pretty firm in what it allows. But, suppose I eat something processed (Whole grain Wheat Thins, for instance), is this still eating clean? Or is that considered a heavily processed food?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but I'm interested in learning what this is all about. :)

If it has more than 5 ingredients in the listing, then no it is not eating clean.

Eating clean is not much different than the Paleo lifestyle.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, clean eating as far as Paleo is concerned includes no processed foods including grains (wheat, corn and anything similar to it), as well as beans and vegetable oils. I'm doing Primal eating, a different version of Paleo that allows for raw whole milk products for the probiotic and full fat effects.

I don't know why you would want to eat Wheat Thins if you understand how they affect the gut and your weight gain/loss. If you're truly interested in knowing how Paleo works, read the Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain or the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson (or marksdailyapple.com). There are some very valid scientific reasons behind not using whole grains and it's an all or nothing kind of thing. For me, I chose to take the plunge because I have thyroid problems and was overweight. I have learned so much about how these processed foods (yes, I'm talking about Wheat Thins) have a negative impact on my body composition and my health. In only 3-1/2 weeks, I've dropped almost 20 lbs and have already lowered my thyroid medication to less than half of what I was taking. If that's not real results and anecdotal evidence, I'm not sure what is.

Loren Cordain's The Paleo Diet book is outdated and he has released a new book called The Paleo Answer and it is much more informative than The Paleo Diet (his earlier book).
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for deciding to reduce/eliminate processed food from your body and life! I am following a (mostly) paleo diet. I do occasionally eat cheese, and last weekend I ate a piece of cake at my mom's birthday party, because in addition to being healthy I also want to be happy! But I will say that I noticed a HUGE difference in the way I looked and felt after the party (ok I also ate a bunch of hershey kisses :bigsmile: ) It took a few days for my body to bounce back.

That being said, when people talk to be about eating healthy, I often tell them to simply stop eating food that comes in boxes. A lot of what people eat these days is not what I consider food. In fact after all the processing it hardly resembles food anymore. The less processed food you eat, the better you will look and feel. Even your skin will improve :)

Good luck to you!
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks NatureMade...another book to add to my library. I hadn't gotten all the way through Cordain's first book, but gave it to a friend once I got my hands on the Primal Blueprint. I still have a lot to learn.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't want to just lose weight, I want to find a healthy lifestyle that I can stick to. For me, eating clean seems to be that lifestyle. I know a lot of people lose weight by eating their favorite foods, only less of them, but more me that's not going to work. I KNOW I'll binge on them.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Going Primal and eating clean has totally changed my relationship/addiction to food, and I'm so happy and feel so great living this way, that I know that I will be able to continue to do so as a lifestyle choice.

Feel free to add me if you'd like, and/or go through my food diaries. I eat super-clean. :)
  • bekisimpkins
    bekisimpkins Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    OMG! Paleo rules!!! It's amazing what a difference it can make to your health!

When I first joined myfitnesspal I was eating cereal for breakfast, sandwich and crisps for lunch and sandwich/ porridge for dinner. I thought this was ok. I was full (inc. some snacks on the way) but I had literally zero energy. My life used to be get up and go to work. Come home and sleep - every night!!

I started entering my food into myfitnesspal and got a bit of a wake up call. I was way under my recommended calorie intake goal (I felt good about this at the time!) and it seemed I wasn't getting enough of any of the good nutrients. I slowly began investing in my health and changing what I chose to eat and I've gotten some more energy but that's not enough!

Come January and I've set myself the usual goals, (30mins exercise a day with a 1200 calorie restrictive diet) but again THIS IS NOT ENOUGH!! I then stumbled across Paleo living on Nerd Fitness's website. Wow, what a wake up call! Now, I'll admit, it's difficult to get off the starting blocks and I wouldn't bin everything in your cupboards just yet for fear that it's un-paleo. Just start by forward planning some meals and really look at the composition of those meals. For example, meat = clean, veg = clean, the gravy you add to it = not so much.

You may think that your food will be bland, but it's amazing how quickly you adapt to the changes (btw sweet potato has been a lifesaver - some schools of thought think it's un-paleo but most accept that it's fine to eat). As long as you can get a fairly good plan going for each day, you shouldn't really have too much opportunity to stumble - if you do, it's not the end of the world.

I was a little poorly on Sunday and didn't fancy making anything so we ate some food from the freezer. This is food we've eaten for years without much thought (chicken nuggets & chips) but after living off Paleo for a few weeks it tasted awful! We were straight back onto clean living this week and no looking back!

My energy levels are unreal and I honestly attribute it to my new diet. I travel a lot for work and I still feel full of energy in the afternoon when previously I would be on the wind down. Also, now I'm looking after my diet I'm far more aware of my body - what's the point of doing one without the other right?! I've started weight training (along with JM's 30 day shred) and I feel so strong. I have muscles (which right now ache like mad) and I look forward to sculpting them into even better shape and liffting heavier weights.

Anways, that's just my opinion but I would recommend that everyone tries it. Tune in to your inner caveman/ cavewoman each time your picking out food and think about what they would have eaten. If it was readily available for them, it's fine for you! Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would want to eat Wheat Thins if you understand how they affect the gut and your weight gain/loss. If you're truly interested in knowing how Paleo works, read the Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain or the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson (or marksdailyapple.com).

Please elaborate on how wheat thins isocalorically effect your weight gain/loss?
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    lowered my thyroid medication to less than half of what I was taking.

Please elaborate. I have always been told that there was no food cure for thyroid issues.
  • LJ728
    LJ728 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    b u m p for later
  • theroadto100
    theroadto100 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you would want to eat Wheat Thins if you understand how they affect the gut and your weight gain/loss. If you're truly interested in knowing how Paleo works, read the Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain or the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson (or marksdailyapple.com).

Please elaborate on how wheat thins isocalorically effect your weight gain/loss?

You haven't heard that eating wheat thins three times a week increases your chances of becoming obese 95%?
  • Kristy_Elizabeth
    Options
    Look for the Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook by Tosca Reno. My guy had this and I freaking love it!