Workout/Protein/Eating Questions

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
So last week I decided that I needed more vegetables in my diet. I thought that a good way to accomplish that would be to eliminate my lunch time protein shake which consisted of 2 scoops of protein, fruit, yogurt, ice and some almond milk. I replaced that with a salad with chicken or tuna, tomatoes, feta cheese, light dressing and whatever else. Then I started to think that maybe having a protein shake for lunch every day was a bad idea. Then I figured I needed to eat more often so I included an extra snack so I would be eating 3 meals and 2 snacks.

So here’s my problems.

I hate salad. It’s mostly the idea of cold vegetables that I hate. The other problem is that my protein shake really filled me up. The salad does not so an hour later I’m hungry. Another problem is that I feel like I do nothing but eat all the time. Before I was eating 4 times a day and that was okay. My last problem is that I’m sore for like 2-3 days after a strength training workout now whereas before, I would drink a protein shake within an hour of working out, be sore the day after the work out and then be okay to go again. My hamstrings are still sore from my kettlebell workout on Monday!

My question is, is it okay to have a protein shake for lunch? And do I really have to eat 5 times a day? Can’t 4 be enough?

Replies

• BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I don't see why 4 times a day wouldn't be enough... I try not to eat more than 4 times a day. And I also don't see why you couldn't have your protein shake for lunch.. I'm actually drinking a protein shake and eating a bowl of veggies with calorie wise dressing right now! Have both!! Veggies are low in cals and there should be no reason not to add them to your lunch. Instead of replacing your shake to eat more veggies, just add the veggies in. Sounds like your on a really healthy system tho!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    what about finding a lower calorie protein shake that you just mix with water? have that post-training, then have lunch too. just an idea.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    And do I really have to eat 5 times a day? Can’t 4 be enough?

Meal frequency will not effect your metabolism and eating more frequently will not have any inherent weight-loss benefit outside of how it effects your choices/mood/how you feel.

For example, if eating smaller, more frequent meals causes you to feel full and consequently causes you to eat fewer calories for the day, then this would probably assist your weight loss -- but this is personal preference entirely.

I find it much, much more satisfying to eat very little or nothing during the day and eat most/all of my calories at night when I'm cutting. Sometimes this will be 1 meal, sometimes it's 2 or 3.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    If having a protein shake for lunch was working better for you then do it. Try to work in your veggies at other times. Or drink some V8 :)