How many calories do you eat?

Options

Replies

• velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat 1300 give or take 100-200 depending on my workout. I dont eat back my exercise calories but I do eat 100-200 extra when I do a big workout(burn more than 1000 calories.

Reading all the posts you can definitely tell which are guys even if you cant tell by their pic or name! If I ate 3000-3500 calories a day Id be gaining weight even doing a huge workout! That being said everyone is different and you have to do what works for you. If you are losing and you aren't feeling like you are starving to death then stay where you are.

Good luck!
  • sophiareal
    sophiareal Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to 1200 - for a 1-1.5lb loss per week (from a starting weight of around 147lb). Yes, it is a lot lower than what I am used to, but to be honest, it just forces me to make the right choices for EVERY.SINGLE.MEAL.AND.SNACK. Before this, I never knew how many calories my snacks took up - a latte after lunch with a small chocolate, 4-5 pieces of fruit, maybe 1 small scoop of icecream after dinner, a handful of nuts here and there - nothing outrageous (yet easily 300-400 unnecessary calories) and my diet itself wasn't too bad (except for the portion sizes). So while it is definitely not easy to stick to 1200 and sometimes requires me to get very creative with my meals, I am not hungry during the day (though very hungry whenever it's time for the next meal). I eat most of my exercise calories back, but not always and not always all of them - equally, if dont hit 1200 one day, I will make up for it the next day (by walking to and from work, swapping my latte for a white americano and my afternoon java for some green tea). It has also forced me to make sure I eat a decent breakfast with staying power (hello porridge), followed by a satisfying lunch (lots of salad beasts with good protein and fats) and a lighter dinner (2 egg omelets, stirfried veg with a piece of fish, steamed sweet potato with veg etc etc. So far it's working - started on 9 January and am down almost 5lb after 3 weeks!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    MFP sets me at 1200 in order to lose 1 lb a week (it won't let me set it to lose more per week, because then I'd have to dip below 1200 and it won't let you do that) -- I'm 5' tall, about 140 lbs. I aim to eat at least 1300 cals a day. Don't feel like you should lower your target calories - MFP really does give you the number that is right for your weight/height/activity level, and it's not the same for everyone.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    between 1300-1700 depending on exercise. I follow mfp reccommendations mostly. I'd aim for balancing mfp reccommendations. 1400ish sounds good for your hectic life :)
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    1200. if i work off some of that then sometimes i'll eat more to maintain the 1200 i need, but only if i'm hungry.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    1200 and I do not eat my exercise calories. Most days it's hard for me to get the 1200 in so I add a tbs or so of coconut oil to my foods at least once a day.
  • willowdarcy
    willowdarcy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chasing kids around is a form of calorie burning, put it in your report as "cardio"! I don't have kids but I add things like "housecleaning". According the the research, just 1 hour of average housecleaning for a 200 lb person will burn about 260 calories, so maybe try to figure out how many calories you burn and subtract them, I bet you are actually only eating 1200 calories after you subtract what you do all day :)

I'm supposed to be eating 1800 calories a day to lose weight, but I'm new at this and have been averaging about 2000 lol. (5'8", 220lbs)
  • charlotte3176
    charlotte3176 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1500 and 1600. If I exercise, I eat most of those back as well.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    from monday to thursday
    1500-1800kcal
    on weekends 1800-2200 or more if I drink alcohol
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    1800-2100 net
  • Incredible_shrinking_woman
    Options
    Net calories I usually have 500-600 a day. I've lost 12 lbs since January 22, 2012.
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Between 800-1000, but my MFP is set at 1200.
  • ssassorossi
    Options
    My goal is set at 1410 and I try to get as close as possible to that. I eat over 1300 every single day, and I love food and am usually hungry so I have no problem getting up to 1410.

I don't exercise much so I don't usually eat back the calories, but I don't burn more than 300 calories in one workout, anyway. Instead I refuel my body with protein, complex carbohydrates, and plenty of water!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Roughly 3200.

Stop it ! Your scaring people again ! LOL LOL LOL ! Only YOU can do that ... BEAST ! :drinker:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I started out at 4000 or so, and reduced as I lost the weight. I thought 4000 was just pure starvation!
    POOR ME!:sad:
    Today, I set calories to 3000 to account for my activity level, exercises and other variables, and am losing a half a pound per week.
    Out of the 70 lb total weight loss, half of that resulted from a 2200 calorie diet, reflecting a deficit to affect a 2 lb per week weight loss, and my last 20 lbs were at 2500 where I lost 1lb weekly. After reaching my goals, I reset, then lowered my weekly loss expectation to a half a pound. Again, I have my daily calories set at 3000.
    It works:drinker:
    If your input is right, all will be well.
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    I'm at 1400 before exercise, but I find myself eating huge portions to reach that goal and often eating when I really don't feel hungry. Maybe 1400 is too high?
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    1200 calories here.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1400 before exercise, but I find myself eating huge portions to reach that goal and often eating when I really don't feel hungry. Maybe 1400 is too high?

Eating a couple of small snacks between meals can help you bump up the calories w/o feeling stuffed at meal time. :-)
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    1600-2000 calories here!!