I dont care what the scale says!

Options

Replies

• carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I just tossed my scale. That's because I'm at a point where my weight will go up due to muscle mass. The inches I've lost tell a lot more than weight. Muscle weighs more than fat so it'd be useless to obsess about weight alone.

Huh?

1 lb = 1 lb

Agreed. I think what people mean when they say this is that a pound of muscle is compact and takes up less space in your body which makes you look leaner, as opposed to a pound of fat that really has no definition and just sort of hangs there. However; a pound is a pound, is a pound. :ohwell:
  • darylinny
    Options
    The scale has never been my friend, especially after a week or two of grueling workouts so I opt to use my favorite outfit as a way to judge my efforts! And when I have to buy the outfit in a smaller size, that's a HUGE positive boost!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It is hard not to pay attention to the numbers on the scale. It is better to pay attention to how you feel in your body. If you are in tune with your body, you will be able to feel it when it changes. My weight has not moved much in the last almost month since I have been at this but I have dropped 7 inches in my waiste. I can feel that especially when I wake up in the morning for some reason. I think muscle is replacing the fat. No matter what is happening technically, I feel better, inches are leaving me, and I am in it for the loooong haul. If you are looking at the scale then it must be a temporary thing for you till you get to that magic number. It is a new way of looking at things for me so I NEVER have this much weight to lose ever again. The scale will follow eventually, my body is telling me that I am doing right by it and that is what matters most.
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    I can say I am a numbers person and the scale rules my life. I have been in a funk for 6 months. I flucuate 7 to 10 lbs. I am also not seeing a difference in my clothes at this point. I am thinking that my body is saying this is enough and you should stay at this range. It is frustrating to have goals in your mind that you have not been able to acheive and might not.
  • redvelvetl0ve
    Options
    I check the scale once a week just to make sure that the accuracy on my calories burned on here is correct, but I'm really more after a flat stomach than I am after a UGW.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    even if your clothes do not feel different you may be losing inches in places you are not aware of. Measure every inch of your body and then you will see the difference. If you are doing everything right then maybe you have a health issue that needs to be addressed. Shake things up, don't keep beating your head against the same wall, and realize that you will eat like this for the rest of your life. There is no going back to bad habits unless you want to gain it all back again. Make this your last time!!!
  • kreat
    kreat Posts: 136
    Options
    I weigh myself about 2 to 3 times a day. How do you know how much you've lost when it comes time to check in? Or do you just weigh yourself then, and thats it?
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I watch the scale, but remember clothes never lie.

I'm more concerned about how I feel, and clothes look than a number on the scale. The last time I had my BMI and body fat % done, I was overweight based off BMI, but .5% body fat from being in the normal range.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    My clothes are fitting better and I look thinner but the scale hasn't moved at all! I guess I must be replacing fat for muscle or something?

same here. but dammit...I want that scale moving. and I could lose an easy 30 lbs...so I think i t should be moving quicker than it is. pi$$es me off! :grumble:
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a numbers person.. bc I need that scale to move... however I do feel much better knowign that my clothes feel loser !!!!
  • Jamie2007
    Options
    I wish I had the willpower to toss the fricken scale! I hate it!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    If I am going to get to my goal, to have the body of a fitness model, I have to stop worrying about the scale. I am trying my best and I know my clothes are fitting better and I can even see abs, but when I see it go up It still doesn't feel good. I deal with it cause I know it's just water or what ever, my size is getting smaller and my body is getting leaner (I can see more muscle).
  • tammy1005
    Options
    the scale is evil!! I try going by how my clothes fit and every once in a while I give in to the scale and end up yelling at my DH to throw it out! he laughs! lol
  • Karoline01
    Karoline01 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    so by loosing inches even though you dont loose weight it's a good thing? I only lost 1 lb in 1 month, I just started eating healthy and exercising in January but I was hoping to loose more weight, I dont see a difference yet, I think it will take another month but I'm still confused about not loosing weight but loosing inches? is that possible?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No, because numbers are definitive; how we "look and feel" is totally subjective.
    Nobody lies to us better than we lie to ourselves.
    I track weight, body fat, BP, cholesterol, and other objective numbers that spell health and fitness.
    Goals need to be brought to light with numbers, or it just won't work.
    People who don't shadow their weight are usually those who gain fat over and over.
    That's when the mirror starts to lie.
    I know plenty of fat people who are fine with their look and health.
    They're still fat but delusional. How successful would MFP be if they did not encourage us to trace progress?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just tossed my scale. That's because I'm at a point where my weight will go up due to muscle mass. The inches I've lost tell a lot more than weight. Muscle weighs more than fat so it'd be useless to obsess about weight alone.

Huh?

1 lb = 1 lb

Oh come on!
    Muscle weighs more than fat -- BY VOLUME!

In other words, a gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.
    Why? Muscle is more dense than fat like lead is denser than water.

That's all people mean when they say muscle weighs more than fat.
    Some may not express the concept correctly, but that's what they mean.
    No need to be a Semantics Nazi.
  • Melissa0174
    Options
    I'm trying to lose 30-35 pounds, but I'm also trying to lose about 4-5 inches from my waist. Can you help me find the best ways to lose the inches?

Increase your water intake and cardio!!! You will see a difference. It doesn't happen over night but it will happen if you are dedicated. Good luck:smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I might agree if I wasn't staring at 261 lbs. on the scale as of Monday which puts me down 4 lbs. from last week and 1 lb. away from breaking 300 lbs. lost !!!!! lol With my weigh in tonight........ So yeah scale is definitely a Big Deal!!! Huge!!! lol......... But I like what I am seeing in the mirror these days too....................... :drinker:
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Numbers are important at the end of your journey to keep the weight off that you have put on but the scale is not the be all end all and people should not get discouraged by it. It is too easy to give up based on the numbers, too easy to use it as an excuse not to continue. Losing the inches is much more accurate in judging your body's progression.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I'm more about going after a look and a fitness level than a number on a scale. Anybody else get tired of chasing numbers?

You are still chasing numbers. BF% and inches
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!