HRM Chest Strap Question

Options
Could having the chest strap too loose cause your calories burned to be less than it really is? I have noticed my calories burned sometimes seem like less on the same activities I have previously done and I thought it was because I am becoming more fit so I would have to work harder to burn the same amount of calories but then today my chest strap felt pretty loose so I tightened it before my walk and I burnt more calories than usual for the same length of time and I am pretty certain I wasn't doing anything different than I have been.

Replies

• PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Could having the chest strap too loose cause your calories burned to be less than it really is? I have noticed my calories burned sometimes seem like less on the same activities I have previously done and I thought it was because I am becoming more fit so I would have to work harder to burn the same amount of calories but then today my chest strap felt pretty loose so I tightened it before my walk and I burnt more calories than usual for the same length of time and I am pretty certain I wasn't doing anything different than I have been.

I've noticed that if my strap slides down a little it isn't as accurate.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    No.
    Disagree.

If your HRM is missing beats, then it will register a lower HR than you are working at and calculate a lower "calorie burn" number.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I've had my HR readings jump when I adjust the strap while running. No problems since I tightened it.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    yep - if its too loose and isnt tight against the skin it cant get the most accurate reading.
    also, if its not washed regularly >.> i found that out the hard way lol
  • Maridelsol82
    Options
    It could be a couple of things but yes as everyone above said wash it regularly, tighted the strap as you continue to loose weight and lastly the battery may need changing.