Does this make me sound mean?

Options
My mom lives 7 blocks away and has started walking her dogs regularly for exercise and I think this is great. But now if I want to go for a walk she wants to go with me. That's fine but not always. Sometimes I just want to put on my music and go. And I'm trying to build up my length of time of jogging instead of walking so if I'm with her that is hard because I feel rude if I run ahead for a while and then run back to her. Keep in mind that we see each other almost daily so this isn't our only "together" time.

So should I just suck it up and call her when I go walking?

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    no everybody needs alone time
  • summergirl73
    summergirl73 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You could try telling her what you just said in your post or maybe take another separate walk without her so you can jog. Only you know what the answer is but that is my suggestion.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If you want to run, go run. Don't say anything to the mom...just run!

If you want to walk by yourself...ditto.

You can schedule mom-walks so she gets her walk time in with you.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I would talk to her if you can. But you might want to consider doing two walks a day if you can manage it.
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Id say no because I feel the same way when my husband goes with me. I just want to put my music on and go and he likes to walk SLOW! Maybe use the walk with your mom as a warm up or cool down….or just tell her that you want to run.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Have your "alone time" walks, and throw in an extra walk with Mom.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No. Your aim should be to improve your workout each and every time. Increase the intensity and/or distance. Your mom will understand if you tell her exactly what you wrote.
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    first world problems lol

why not do both? i'm a huge advocate of giving back and if this lifestyle has helped you be happier why not give freely of the support and **** you received here?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Ah, that's a tough one. It doesn't sound mean to me, but it might to her. Try explaining to her just as you did to us, that you are trying to improve speed and endurance, and perhaps agree to walk with her a couple of times a week and the other days are just for you. As a mother of grown daughters I'm sure I would have made the same request. But I would be okay with it if they said no for the reasons you stated. But everyone is different.
  • silvabelle89
    Options
    I use exercise as my think time. My mom like to take long walks but I only ask her once a week. I need the time alone to clear my head but still like walking w her occasionally. Just make a compromise
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Nope, fitness is your own! If she is not helping your progress she is holding you back. You said you already see her enough, don't let her slow you down!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    first world problems lol

You realize that a "first world" doesn't have to be a rich organized country right? You may want to google what the differences are between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world countries. There are some 3rd world countries with a better economy than ours.
  • MrsD4ever
    Options
    Maybe schedule one day a week or a day here and there to do a walk with her....then the other days to yourself. Or, just explain it to her the way that you did here.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Only tell her you're going when you don't mind if she tags along. She doesn't have to know every time you going walking/running.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and ideas. I was thinking maybe I can jog the 7 blocks to her house, walk with her and the dogs and then jog home. Kill two birds with one stone I guess. I think more than anything I just want the alone time and that makes me feel selfish. With a husband, 3 kids and a job I don't always feel like I get a lot of it.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and ideas. I was thinking maybe I can jog the 7 blocks to her house, walk with her and the dogs and then jog home. Kill two birds with one stone I guess. I think more than anything I just want the alone time and that makes me feel selfish. With a husband, 3 kids and a job I don't always feel like I get a lot of it.

You are so not being selfish at all! Everyone - especially a momma - deserves some alone time!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I run on my own M-W-F and run with my hubby on Sa. Other times we walk together.

But on a holiday Monday, we have to negotiate. Do I get to go for my run by myself (he is much slower than I am), do we go for a run together Sa and M? Do I go for my long run on Sa by myself?

Oh, and on Sa, we negotiate how long we are running together as well, because he doesn't go as far as I do. So we usually coordinate the beginning or end of our run, and I run on my own the other half.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    @ pdworkman. I love your post, it made me smile. It is awesome how you guys compromise and work it out. :)
  • ZachyABaby
    Options
    first world problems lol

You realize that a "first world" doesn't have to be a rich organized country right? You may want to google what the differences are between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd world countries. There are some 3rd world countries with a better economy than ours.

You realize this was based off of a very popular internet meme right? You may want to google what a meme is. There are lots of ways the internet can teach you how to funny.