WOW

Options
Wow was the first thing that came to mind when I signed up last night and entered my day of food. I don't eat much , it's what I eat. Those calories just kept adding up and adding up untill I was over my allowed intake. In fairness I didn't know any of that till last night. Today I am so concience of what I put in my mouth. This is the best free diet tool you can have. If you enter EVERYTHING you eat AND drink, you hold yourself more accountable. I know this is going to be a rough road but I need a change. Size 5 here I come baby. :)

Replies

• daisydieter
    Options
    My shocker was when I also started measuring my portions. My 2 big mugs of morning coffee, using vanilla flavored creamer, was close to 300 calories!
  • KIMBERLYJADE1968
    Options
    I hear ya Daisy, everything was a shocker. But it didn't take long before I learned how to manage my calories.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Take it slow and don't do anything you won't be able to stick with long term. Its about a healthy lifestyle and not a short term diet.
    Small changes make a big difference over the long run. Healthy foods and portion control.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Your right it really is a wake up call when you see in black and white what your putting into your body daily. I know I have been doing this off and on for many years and it still shocks me the amount of calories etc there are in food. Good luck and WELCOME
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! It is an amazing tool all around. The food and exercise log is just a part of it. Take advantage of all this site has to offer because the community, if you find the right people, is super motivating and supportive!

I remember my first log day. I was over too. I had NO IDEA that my idea of healthy or light was so not. Keep up that logging and watch those lbs melt away.
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, the tiniest things can have so many calories!!

Welcome to mfp, feel free to add me as a friend if you want/need support :) x
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    knowledge is power!
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! This is a great site! The food log is definitely eye opening! I Had no idea how many calories I ate before I signed up. I have tried other calorie counting sites but they were too hard to navigate and the food log was not very efficient.

GOOD LUCK!
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i use the iphone app as well so that i update what i eat, WHEN i eat it lol

good luck on your weight loss x
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My shocker came when I started reading labels on some of my favorite things. Sobe Energy is 2 1/2 servings per bottle (I used to drink 2-3 at a time)!!. And each bottle was 270 calories with 66 grams of SUGAR..holy cow.

I would eat next to nothing in terms of chewable food, but drink 2-3 of those every evening. No wonder I couldn't lose weight!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I found with me it was stuff I could easily replace, like moving from semi-skimmed to skimmed milk, half cal sugar, etc but overall the way I eat has changed, it's a great site.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Yea, I used to have a "serving" of whatever and think I was okay, until I realized what a "serving" actually is. Oops. Even when I don't log I an keeping track to some degree in my head, so this has definitely been very useful!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am. That was my reaction too. I'd easily put away a poutine and hot dog from Harvey's with a drink, which would add up to more than my daily allowance in ONE MEAL. It was ridiculous. Download the app if you can, that way it's easier to plan your meals if you do go out.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    This truly is the beauty of MFP and logging everything, it is there, right in front of our noses, everything we consume.
  • mrsmadewell2012
    Options
    That happened to me when I started a few days ago. I felt really ashamed of myself. Now I kind of got it down but it may take a little bit until I get it. :) Good luck!
  • kneehigh85
    Options
    I have joined MFP today as I am off work poorly and even though I am barely eating/drinking due to the flu, I have almost hit my calories!!! I think it will be a real shock when I am well again!
  • HollyAus
    HollyAus Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The app is really helpful for me as well. That way when I'm driving through town and think oh I could just stop and get a hamburger for lunch or some ice cream for a "snack" I think about logging it in and reaching my calorie goal with that one entry, then I usually pass. I do alow my self one splurge day tho, to curb the cravings. Good luck!!