Tips for Working from Home???

Options
Hello!

I work from a virtual office, which means I am at home and sit on my butt all day. I work a full time and a 8 hour a week part-time job along with two classes I am taking and am planning a wedding with my fiance'. Any tips for burning calories while working from home, and any help for finding time to exercise?

(I do belong to a nearby gym, but I don't make it there often) I have started on a diet (Vemma products) and am sticking with it, but need help getting exercise in.

Thanks!

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    For one, replace your desk chair with a stability ball.
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I work from home often. Because I do not have my 38-mile commute, I have time to do my treadmill before I log in. Also, I can lay a board over my treadmill handles and put my laptop on it if reading or doing research....
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I work from a virtual office, which means I am at home and sit on my butt all day. I work a full time and a 8 hour a week part-time job along with two classes I am taking and am planning a wedding with my fiance'. Any tips for burning calories while working from home, and any help for finding time to exercise?

(I do belong to a nearby gym, but I don't make it there often) I have started on a diet (Vemma products) and am sticking with it, but need help getting exercise in.

Thanks!

You can exercise, walk or go to a gym during your lunch break.
    I would also recommend trying to get an Xbox with the Xbox kinect and some of the fitness games (Your shape fitness evolved 2012 is currently kicking my butt)
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I work from home too. I go to the gym in the morning, before I start work.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I go skating in the morning. And then sit at my desk all sweaty and stinky...my dogs don't mind. :-)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you get a lunch? I've been thinking of switching to working at home a few days a week just so I can do Zumba on my lunch hour, rather than have to give up part of the my evenings to do it.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    This is interesting -- I work from home completely as well and I find I have a lot more time to exercise, even with a LOT of freelance projects, a part-time job (also virtual) as well, charity stuff, a social life, business travel, etc.

It's so easy :) Just take the time you used to spend commuting in the morning, and devote it to a workout instead.

If you need help getting started, just sleep in workout clothes. I do that partially also because it means I won't sit around in my pajamas all day, haha!

I don't have a gym membership any more, and have invested in some low-cost equipment for working out at home. With no commute to the office, and no commute to the gym, I really don't have any excuses any more. Running is free (once you get some decent shoes), or you can get a treadmill or other equipment off Craigslist. It takes a little bit of cash and time to amass a collection of free weights, etc. but at the beginning you can get a cheapo set of 5-8-10 or something. Resistance bands cost about $5 at discount stores like TJ Maxx; you can find yoga mats and workout clothes there too.

Just get up and do it before you sit down! I find that freelance work especially can expand to take FOREVER, because it feels like you have forever to complete it, so force yourself to set a time limit for individual tasks.

I don't know if this is specific enough but I can share more tips. I love talking to other work at home types. This is the best way to work, for sure! Saves so much headache, time, and money on gas, work clothes, the occasional lunches out. I feel so, so lucky and grateful.
  • wendy007uk
    wendy007uk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use to work from home and found that a run at lunch time gave me something to look forward to and also lifted me for the rest of the day, making me feel more relaxed. Other things I use to do, which takes about 20-30 mins at lunchtime was stair climbing. I would do 100 step ups on my bottom step and then walk up and down stairs 10 times and repeat until 25 mins were up before stretching. Finally if you want to combine strength with cardio and ab work, I use to get out the hand weights and do 3 circuits combining of 3 mins strength, (so maybe squats with shoulder press, or push ups, or lunges with bicep curls etc,). 2 mins cardio, (so a burst of 30 seconds jog on spot, 30 secs jumping jacks, etc), then 1 min abdominal work on the floor. Repeat circuit 3 times and you get a 20 min (with stretches) workout that works all the body keeping heart rate high, and so burning more calories and shredding body fat. Good luck with the exercise and the planning....
  • littlebean24
    Options
    During your breaks- take a walk! Even if its only for 10 minutes it is better than nothing. :) Or do a couple sets of jumping jacks, crunches, etc.

Also there check out netflix, they have some exercise dvds on there.

Go out dancing with your fiance for a date night. Great way to get in exercise with out even really realizing it.

Good luck!!
  • LAP61
    LAP61 Posts: 3
    Options
    My husband and I both work from home. We use Exercise.com for fitness routines. There are quite a few free ones and they will give you a good variety of exercises to do, right in front of your computer.

Sometimes during meetings, if I am not running it or viewing a presentation, I walk around my office.
  • albarez22
    Options
    i don't work at home but i am gone pretty much all day do to work...i do at home fitness workout programs which have completely changed my life. recently doing a P90x/insanity hybrid. no need to go to the gym and it only takes a quick 1 hour or less of your time each day.
  • mish26
    mish26 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I work from home and find it a lot easier to find time to exercise than I did when I worked out of the home. Like someone else mentioned, I will work out and then sit at my desk still sweaty. The nice thing about being at home is that no one knows you didn't shower.

I set a timer for every 30 minutes so I can get up and stretch or do some squats or something. That keeps me from getting stiff and sore from just sitting.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    During your lunch break go for a walk or start jogging.
    Or trying doing workout dvds like Insanity.
  • daisydieter
    Options
    Going for a daily "stroll" either before work or mid morning really helps me... it is when I don't do it everything starts to slide.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I work from home as well.
    Every hour I work one body part from this menu.
    http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/index.html

And I own one those mini-trampolines that I jog on while talking on the phone or listening to boring conference calls.
    It's GREAT!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I work from home too and sometimes I have a spare 20 minutes (and that is IT) and I will do a circuit, see the below...no equipment needed and can be done anywhere.

All exercises are to be done in circuit fashion... consecutively and with no rest in between. You can have up to a 2 min rest at the end of the entire circuit

1. Squat - to be done as quickly as possibly, and for as many reps as possible- 30 seconds

2. pushup - 30 seconds

3. reverse lunge - move quickly and do as many as possible, like the squats - 30 seconds

4. fast mountain climber - 30 seconds

5. Side plank - 30 seconds each side

Repeat 3-4 times.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I work from home a lot.
    Before I did hardcore workouts daily, I used to do a lot of small things throughout the day as well.

I put a pullup bar in the pantry doorway. Everytime I walk past it, I do 5-10 pullups.

Everytime I get up to fill my water bottle, or use the bathroom, I do 20 pushups.

I have a long driveway, so spring out to the mailbox.

Plan your lunch hour to do 20 hardcore minutes of cardio and then eat at your desk if need be.

Really 1000 things you can do.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I work from home as well.
    Every hour I work one body part from this menu.
    http://www.unique-bodyweight-exercises.com/index.html

And I own one those mini-trampolines that I jog on while talking on the phone or listening to boring conference calls.
    It's GREAT!

Hahahaha... I have been known to walk slowly on the treadmill sometimes while doing the same thing -- not enough to get out of breath but enough to kill the boredom.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Holy Moly! I would love to work from home so I could work out at work (without the looks) Get off your bum!! :)
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Schedule work. Schedule lunch. And Schedule gym time.

The biggest problem I have with working at home is the lack of structure. If I don't check myself, I might even forget to eat.

And don't forget: Schedule some fun time.

As for building a home gym, figure out what exercises you like. I have knee and ankle problems so I'm on a stationary bike a lot. I also make sure that I watch most of my TV from a stationary bike instead of a couch.