Morning workout

Options
Is it better to workout in the morning Vs the evening. My DH says it is better to workout in the morning because it causes you to burn more calories all day. My DH has never had to lose weigh tin his life. (he is 5 11 and 125 lbs). :grumble: what do you guys think?

Replies

• smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    Is it better to workout in the morning Vs the evening. My DH says it is better to workout in the morning because it causes you to burn more calories all day. My DH has never had to lose weigh tin his life. (he is 5 11 and 125 lbs). :grumble: what do you guys think?
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It is better to workout in the morning...and you DH is right. Also, working out at night can make it difficult to fall asleep because of the endorphins and adrenaline created during the workout. Mentally, those morning workouts can help by letting you know you started your day off good thereby helping you to stay motivated to do good all day.

Good Luck!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't know about any health benefits but I work-out first thing in the morning so I can feel GOOD about myself the rest of the day!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    My only problem with a morning workout is I have a hard time getting up in the morning. I don't know that I can get up 45 minutes earlier than I already do.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    The best time to work out is when ever you are more likely to do it.

Also, morning work outs may help your body burn more calories during the day, but those benefits will be outweighed if you don't get enough sleep at night in order to get up early and work out. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep a night.

If you work out at night, try and finish at least two hours before bed time. That will give your body ample time to cool down so you can sleep soundly.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting up early too. From what I've read, there's no proven benefit to either a morning or evening workout. The main thing is to find a time that works for you. That will make you more likely to stick with your routine. That being said, I personally like working out at night. It lets me release energy built up during the day. I've never had trouble falling asleep, even if I head for bed as soon as I'm done working out.
  • eri1mani
    eri1mani Posts: 42
    Options
    It is better to workout in the morning...and you DH is right. Also, working out at night can make it difficult to fall asleep because of the endorphins and adrenaline created during the workout. Mentally, those morning workouts can help by letting you know you started your day off good thereby helping you to stay motivated to do good all day.

Good Luck!

So that's why I've been up so damn late every nite!:explode: Im not a morning person at all and have been doing my cardio at night after the kids go to bed (stepper/treadmill or combo) .Before I started on my weight loss journey, used to be in bed by 10,10:30, and now I'd be shocked if I got to bed before 1am!!:grumble:
    Excuse my ignorance but im totally new to this and thanks to everyone,learning something new each day :drinker: Think i'm gonna have to try to switch mornings:flowerforyou:
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    I hear it's better to exercise in the morning too... but I rarely do. I'm NOT a morning person and forcing myself to get moving in the morning when I don't want to is not a good idea. trying to exercise in the morning most of the time is probably better than not at all. if you can't fit it in, you can't fit it in. it's better to have to exercise in the afternoon/evening than not at all.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I like to work out in the morning because then I know exactly how many calories I'l dealing with the rest of the day, also it sets my tone for the day. Why did I get my *kitten* outta bed so early to eat a candy bar? Kinda makes me make better choices.:wink:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I love exercising first thing in the morning. They say your metabolism is highest when you first wake up and you'll end up buring more fat than if you were to exercise any other time.

Of course afternoon workouts burn fat too. And it's better to work out any time than none at all.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I find that I have more energy in the morning, so it makes it easier to do. Plus, I have more energy throughout the day. The biggest reason I like to do it in the morning is because I can't make excuses the rest of the day. It's done and out of the way.