stir fry

Options
ashquin
ashquin Posts: 248 Member
what do you all put in your stir fry for seasoning that is low in calories and fat??

Replies

• beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just use normal stir fry sauce. Around 100 cals per serving and next to no fat. The last one I used was an asda's own sauce (Walmart if you're in America) it was hoi sin flavour, which is one of the worst for calories, and it had 122 cals and 1g of fat. In my opinion, well worth it for the extra flavour :smile:
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I add some fresh garlic. I do add some soy and teriyaki sauce, but just a little bit of each (like a tablespoon), then I add about a 1/2 cup of water and let the sauce simmer down until it becomes a thicker consistancy again. This gives me a bit of flavor on everything without going crazy on the sauce and ramping up those calories.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just rocked out some great stir fry the other night. I marinated my meat in soy and worchestershire sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes. When it was done I used some corn starch to thinken it. Was YUMM
  • xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Mainly soy sauce with some terriyaki, High in sodium but yummy and not too bad
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I tend to use whatever marinade I have on hand. Right now I'm using a Kroger brand Sesame Ginger 30 minute marinade. Basically, I stir fry whatever and add 1 tbsp per serving. If I remember correctly, it has about 35 calories a tbsp.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I like garlic and tons of fresh grated ginger! I usually make my sauce with equal parts soy sauce and water, a splash of mirin ( sweet rice wine), a touch of brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp cornstarch to thicken it. I drizzle just a smidge of dark sesame oil over the whole thing at the very end. Just a little bit adds so much flavor!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I like garlic and tons of fresh grated ginger! I usually make my sauce with equal parts soy sauce and water, a splash of mirin ( sweet rice wine), a touch of brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp cornstarch to thicken it. I drizzle just a smidge of dark sesame oil over the whole thing at the very end. Just a little bit adds so much flavor!

That sounds so yummy! I am going to try it.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    trader joes has some amazing low fat/cal sauces. general tsos is the best!!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    curry paste, hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, ginger, roasted and smooshed red pepper....(not all in the same stir fry)
  • wendy007uk
    wendy007uk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use one cal as they now do a chinese version which has all the flavourings of soy etc, but without the calories, yummy!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    This is the sauce i have always used (family favorite):

1 cup water
    2 TBSP cornstarch
    1 TBSP soy sauce
    3 TBSP oyster sauce
    2 tsp sesame seed oil

Not exactly sure of the calories, i figure around 200 but you could always use less sauce (the original recipe i used was half of everything. My husband said he would love more sauce so i doubled it.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    There is a La Choy teriyaki stir fry sauce & marinade that is really tasty. Kinda freakishly low on the calories. I can't really comment on how 'clean' it is if that's something you're interested in. It's kind of a shortcut sauce.

A recipe we followed said to watch for no more than 2g sugar in teriyaki and the la choy sauce was surprisingly the only one.

We also add minced garlic to ours and finish with just a little sesame oil (it's very pungent so be careful!)

http://www.lachoy.com/products/sauces.jsp
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I use soy sauce and Panda Express (store bought) kung pao sauce (SO GOOD!)