Microwave Meals with Less Sodium?

Options
I love to eat Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Healthy Choice, etc for lunch, however, they are LOADED with sodium. Are there any such meals that aren't so full of salt?

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    What range are you looking for? Just for taste, I really love the healthy choice tortellini primavera parmesan. It has sodium content of 490.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Make your own and microwave the container. You'll likely be able to eat a lot more this way also (for the same calories)
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Why do these meals have sooo much sodium but taste bland? Does anyone else think they taste bland?
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I concur... if you can discipline yourself to cook your own, you will have way better quality, probably be able to eat larger portions, and feel fuller, and control sodium, sugar etc...
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I use the microwavable steam bags (Glad I think). I throw a piece of chicken or fish in it with veggies. I don't use salt, and the protein can even be frozen when you put it in the microwave. I don't eat frozen meals anymore. This is way healthier.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I use the microwavable steam bags (Glad I think). I throw a piece of chicken or fish in it with veggies. I don't use salt, and the protein can even be frozen when you put it in the microwave. I don't eat frozen meals anymore. This is way healthier.

Where do you find those? That sounds great!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
  • nancy5012
    Options
    I too love the microwave steam bags of veggies - from birds eye or your grocer should have their store brand name. You find them in the frozen foods veggie section.

With that you can pair it up with grilled chicken (you can find cooked grilled chicken breasts in Sam's club), or turkey burgers, or if you like salmon steaks. All are easy to microwave or grill.
  • FirewifeCarrie
    Options
    I don't eat them anymore but when I did I usually added salt! Aaah..well before I was watching my sodium intake. I can't imagine what my levels actually were back then??? All that sodium you would think they would taste better.
    Why do these meals have sooo much sodium but taste bland? Does anyone else think they taste bland?
  • jnbud2002
    Options
    I read on another post about how this man's doctor told him less than 500 a meal is ok, but anything over isn't. Although I do concur with those saying to make your own. I'm working on controlling my sodium, but my bigger concentration right now is exercise and calories. Gotta walk before we crawl right? One step at a time for me
  • missxlaur
    Options
    healthy choice cafe steamers aren't too bad as far as frozen meals go, but yeah definitely cook your own food :)
  • Osu2k1
    Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    healthy choice cafe steamers aren't too bad as far as frozen meals go, but yeah definitely cook your own food :)
    I do like those, The Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken is my fave.! Also Marie Callendar's Beef Stroganoff is good.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Where do you find those? That sounds great!

Any grocery store in the storage bag section I think. I portion out my chicken and seafood (salmon) into 4 to 6 oz pieces before freezing them. Yesterday I put some salmon, brown rice, broccolli and carrots in the bag and took it to work. Takes about 5 to 7 minutes to cook. Really doesn't need any seasoning if you're trying to go low-salt (which I am). I just squeezed some fresh lemon over it when it was done.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Hahah! Too true. Its because sodium doesn't necessarily have to be salt. Certain item are pumped with sodium to help preserve them when being frozen.

I agree with the fresh meal ideas and personally I cook nightly. Not always easy. I know not everyone wants to plan meals on weekends and I don't always follow thru by friday night!

Try Salt Substitute ---- Normally potassium chloride. It is my understanding that what is really important is potassium/sodium ratios.
  • Paulbp4
    Paulbp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ie...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/27/health/high-sodium-to-potassium-ratio-in-diet-is-a-major-heart-risk.html

or more pithy:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=sodium-and-potassium-together-deter-11-07-12

good thing about salt substitute is you need more for the same taste of salt... use it on that bland frozen meal to help reduce your risk!
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks paulbp4, I was not thinking about that!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Some of the frozen Kashi entrees are not bad. The Mayan Harvest Bake and Black Bean Mango are < 400 mg sodium per entree. Some of the others are higher, but I don't think I've seen any with > 600 mg.

Amy's Light & Lean frozen meals all contain less than 300 calories, 5g fat, and 590mg sodium.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Starkist (the tuna brand) came out with some recently that have salmon or shrimp in them. They're really good and have a lot less sodium than most frozen meals.