HELP!!

Options
Question for everyone on here, What are the three main things that you all look at before eating or buying? For example; Fats,sodium,carbs,calories,sugar,and or protein? What do y'all choose when you want to loose the most weight and the healthiest? :smile:

Replies

• ShelbyBeck414
    Options
    I honestly look for things with LEAST amount of ingredients.....aka, the 'cleanest' foods....obviously fresh is best, fruits/veggies/lean meats/etc....
    otherwise, I always make sure calories are low....:D
  • iliketopaint
    Options
    I buy local over mystery location food... It is expensive, but I would rather spend $4.00 on eggs that have a beautiful dark yolk that I know has a ton of nutrition than waste $2.00 over watery pale yellow eggs. Same for fruits/veggies/meats.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Top three things: Recognizable ingredients, no trans fat, no corn syrup. Corn is EVIL!!!
  • nikkiworld2
    nikkiworld2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I look at fat, carbs, fiber & protein, and also calories, of course. One good way is to eat soup, especially the Progresso light soups. The soup is very filling, believe it or not. One can is supposed to be 2 servings, yeah right. I eat the whole can, it's still super low in calories. I also eat it w/about 4-5 crackers. That is one low calorie meal that is satisfying. Also, Subway has an eggwhite and cheese sandwich & I thinks it's only about 150 calories. (You could easily replicate this sandwich at home.) I would eat this for breakfast plus a fruit, usually a banana. This would keep me full 'til lunch time. I would have no desire for a snack. For a sweet treat, try Edy's slow churned ice cream; sooo good. For ice cream you want to keep it around 120-140 cal's per serving. Hope this helps.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Top three things: Recognizable ingredients, no trans fat, no corn syrup. Corn is EVIL!!!

Yep... this is me too. Macro nutrients are the last things I look at.
  • deeannhill
    deeannhill Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I honestly look for things with LEAST amount of ingredients.....aka, the 'cleanest' foods....obviously fresh is best, fruits/veggies/lean meats/etc....
    otherwise, I always make sure calories are low....:D

Yup - this is me!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Main thing is do I like it.
    And I can do much with lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Buying processed foods is always a downer; if man makes it, don't eat it.

That's the ideal I fall so short of.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I'm not as healthy of an eater as the prior people...but I look at calories first and them sodium...the calories are a given, but since I've had a baby I've notice that I retain water like crazy so I avoid too much sodium.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I mostly try to make sure that I can either idenitify the food or recognize where it came from. Also, if I HAVE to buy something "processed" I look at sodium content, both my parents and my maternal grandmother have high blood pressure so I really try and make sure that I'm not eating a lot of sodium if I can avoid it.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Calories are the bottom line for weight loss. I generally try to keep a balance of my macro nutrients, so I'm not usually concerned with their proportion in all of the foods I buy. I too look for the "least" amount of ingredients and for the ones with the most natural ingredients when I can.

And sodium- I try to keep it low, but the "natural" ingredients thing kind of covers most of it in one fell swoop.

Also if it says "low fat" I usually avoid it- like "no sugar" many times it means "chemical taste replacement". I usually opt for the calorie hit and the real flavor :smiles:

Chillax. Go with what makes sense to you.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I have to look at the carbs on everything because of diabetes, I find that when they're low, calories tend to be low by default (with a few obvious exceptions like nuts and oils and peanut butter).

The other two important things for me are sodium and the amount of recognisable or natural ingredients.

The one thing I never bother looking at is the fats breakdown. The more I learn about nutrition and atherosclerosis (and related conditions), the more I'm convinced that the medical establishment has been selling us a crock of crap regarding saturated fat and cholesterol for the last four decades.
  • charitybee
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers.. I mostly try to watch my carbs and cals.. can anyone take a look at my foods and tell me what they think I may be doing wrong I am just looking to start losing again I have lost 25lbs in 2 months and 1 week but by summer I am looking to lose another 40 lbs ... 10 lbs a month is that something that can happen I am not looking for a quick fix but looking to kick it in gear