cleaning house....

Options
Am I really ok with counting cleaning house for excersise? I put my HR monitor on while I was doing becuase I was curious and It was a significant amount of calories....so should I really count it as excersise????

Probably a silly question but I would like to know if you all do it???

jenny

Replies

• jennyeckel
    jennyeckel Posts: 209
    Options
    Am I really ok with counting cleaning house for excersise? I put my HR monitor on while I was doing becuase I was curious and It was a significant amount of calories....so should I really count it as excersise????

Probably a silly question but I would like to know if you all do it???

jenny
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes. I counted grocery shopping the other day. If you're using it to see how many calories you can eat, why not?
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Since you have a heart rate monitor, I would watch that. If your heart rate is getting up into the cardio zone (65-75%), then I would count it. If not, then I wouldn't.

Also, it was brought to my attention that while HRMs track your calorie burn, they don't take into account calories you would have burned, even if you weren't working out. I was told to only count about 80% of the calories shown on your HRM to account for that.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Although you can definately get your heart rate up doing vigorous cleaning, to be honest, I would not count anything as exercise that is not specifically a concerted effort. In other words, only count those things where you are really exercising, getting your heart rate up for an extended period, breaking a sweat. For most of us, cleaning house is just a part of life.:grumble:
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I count it and it's working for me- I am never hungry and I am losing weight. If you put in your exercise cleaning there is a guide to how many calories you have burned. I time myself for cleaning to make sure I clean non stop until the hour is up. I have 3 lots of stairs in my house and I make sure I work all 3 levels. Good Luck!
  • jennyeckel
    jennyeckel Posts: 209
    Options
    thanks guys!!!

jenny