High reps, light weight myth...

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
I need a good scientific site (not just a blog) explaining why this is a myth.

Truthfully I'm very disappointed in my New Rules Book for not having references.

And yes, I am asking you to do my homework for me.

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    well you could try your local library.
    there you will find plenty of people that do it..... they take a light weight (book) and put it on a shelf.. hundreds of times a day..

either they're friggin ripped, this theory has a flaw..... or maybe it only counts if its a 2lb piece of iron and not a 2lb paper block...
  • snaptate
    snaptate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your trying to achieve...everything has a place and it's not a myth...what are your goals...to maintain, build or lose fat?
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    Depends on what your trying to achieve...everything has a place and it's not a myth...what are your goals...to maintain, build or lose fat?

theres never a reason to lift light weights... other then ignorance.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Could you elaborate more snaptate. I would love to hear how these all differ. Thanks
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Really?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the PubMed search of 'muscle hypertrophy resistance exercise'. Have at it!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=muscle hypertrophy resistance training
  • Amburglar
    Options
    I can't tell you a source, but I can tell you that, from person experience, I get much better results from constantly challenging myself with heavier weight vs. light lifting/high reps.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Lyle McDonald's 8 part series "Categories of Weight Training"

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/categories-of-weight-training-part-1.html
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    well you could try your local library.
    there you will find plenty of people that do it..... they take a light weight (book) and put it on a shelf.. hundreds of times a day..

either they're friggin ripped, this theory has a flaw..... or maybe it only counts if its a 2lb piece of iron and not a 2lb paper block...

Have you ever seen a librarians lats? they look like freaking bats they are so huge! Your example is flawed :wink:
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

that should be "other THAN ignorance." funny :laugh:
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I was going to say do a search at pubmed.com LOADS of links to scientific studies of all sorts.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Its all about metabolic stress. Generally studies show effort between 30-60% of your 1RM will gain the best muscle. The closer to 60%, the better. Above 60% the gains fall away in terms of weight lifted v effort expended.

Nothing wrong with doing heavy high rep work tho. My quads were built with a mix of heavy squats/leg presses for 8-12 reps and leg press high rep sets of up to 70 reps, usually maxing at 50 reps. You have fast and slow twitch fibres, you want to stress both types.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

nonsense
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

endurance athletes. /fin
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    lol. I have been in the south too long...

The point remains valid.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

What about putting books up at the library?
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Well I've had pretty cool results in body pump lifting (relatively) light weights with (very) high reps.

My body has completely transformed and is shaping up nicely.

Interestingly, I've been in pump classes on numerous occasions where "regular" weight lifters (i.e. those used to lifting heavy with less reps) come in all cocky and think they know everything there is to know about lifting. Yet time and time again, they a) don't last five minutes in the class, even with significantly lighter weights than they usually use, b) have terrible form, and c) never come back.

Whatever works......
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was a myth but rather heavy weights were for building muscle and light weights were for muscle endurance.

I need to look into this.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, I've been in pump classes on numerous occasions where "regular" weight lifters (i.e. those used to lifting heavy with less reps) come in all cocky and think they know everything there is to know about lifting. Yet time and time again, they a) don't last five minutes in the class, even with significantly lighter weights than they usually use, b) have terrible form, and c) never come back.

Whatever works......

This is usually because they train for strength, not for endurance. It would be the same if you came to me while i am squatting 300+ pounds and you wouldn't even be able to stand up 150 pounds.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Whatever works......

This is usually because they train for strength, not for endurance. It would be the same if you came to me while i am squatting 300+ pounds and you wouldn't even be able to stand up 150 pounds.
    I do heavy strenght training and will do a body pump in the mix about once every 2 weeks. It work a different muscle fiber. It is nice to mix things up but what has the biggest impact on what i look like is strenght training.... Not body pump. And for you information, i burn the same amount of calories from 60 minutes of body pump as i do when lifting for 45 minutes. No need to be smug abput doing body pump. I can dp body pump but someone that does only that can´t lift as heavy as i do.