eating back workout calories

Options
Ok so just some things about me i am 28 female 5' 6 148.2 (yes my .2 matters to me lol) i work out almost 7 days a week with a light day every couple of days. I do spinning on sunday 30 ds ,monday spinning fusion which is 100 min class 50 mins of spinning and 50 mins of weightlifting, abs etc., Tuesdays Zumba and 30 day shred, wed. Spinning fusion, thursday Zumba toning and 30 ds, Friday zumba 30 ds, saturday elliptical training for 60 mins doing intverals and 30 ds. Anyways, I bought a Timex HRM to see how many calories i was actually burning since i have only had it for a few days i haven't been able to see my calories burned for all the things that i do yet...But for my spinning fusion class i burned roughly 1026 calories.

That being said I am trying to loose 2 pounds a week, i am loosing about 1.4-1.8 and i am fine with that, and MFP has set 1200 calories for me..I just was wondering if i really had to eat back all my calories from working out on my harder days like today with spinning fusion? 2226 caloires seems crazy to me to eat in one day!! please help me!!! I can understand eating back some of the calories and i do but that many im not sure i would be able to even if i tried!! LOL any suggestions are welcome thanks for your help

Replies

• charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't eat less than your BMR in net calories - that means after exercise cals have been counted you still need to0 have taken in at least 1200! because your BMR is simply what your body needs to function. MFP sets everyone at 1200, regardless of weight, height, gender, age. It's a good idea to google a BMR calculator which will take these factors into account so you can make sure you're never eating under this.

I know if you burn a heap of calories it seems impossible to eat it back - you don't have to eat it all back! Just eat to your BMR! Try protein shakes or something like that to bump up your net cals on a heavy exercise day.

Hope this makes sense!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, a 2# week loss is unrealistic. I know that's not what you want to hear, because it's not what I wanted to hear, either. :tongue: Some weeks you might lose that much, but it's far better to lose a little slower and lose mostly bodyfat than try to lose faster and lose muscle with your fat.

Aim for 1# a week and eat back your calories. I lost 35# eating an average of 1800-2000 calories a day, sometimes more. You're doing very intense workouts, and you need to refuel after that kind of burn.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Eat those calories and ENJOY them :-) Sounds like you are really working yourself out good, so you definitely need to make sure that you are giving your body the fuel it needs!
    I think the closer you get to your goal, the more important it becomes to make sure that you are at least netting 1200 cals/day.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    just be careful that your estimate of calories burned is correct. even with a HRM there is room for error.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It's not the end of the world if you don't eat them *all* back, but try to at least eat some. I like to leave a hundred or so just in case MFP is overestimating what I've burned (honestly, for my weightlifting I think it underestimates a little, but I'm not gonna fuss).