Tracking P90X on MFP

Options
Can anyone tell me that is doing P90X how they are tracking it on here?

Replies

• hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The way I do it...

Click "EXERCISE" at the top of the page.

Search the database, but there are no P90X in there. When it returns no match, click the link at the bottom of the page that says, "Add an exercise to the database". I enter full title for each of the titles, ie. P90X Legs & Back.

I put strength with strength (ie. Legs & Back, Chest & Back, etc) and the cardio under cardio (Plyo, Kempo, Yoga, etc). The reason I think this is important is because I don't want to be tempted to eat back the strength exercise calories which are often negligible, but am happy to eat back the cardio cals.

Most online searches say that an average cardio P90X work out burns about 600 calories. I'd say this is about right since I've been following each day with a heart rate monitor that calculates calories burned.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I do it the way hpynh2o does it, but I estimated my calorie burn based on exertion and what MFP says I burn for other activities - which is considerably less than the 600 that is claimed - I put my own burns at anywhere from 240-440, depending on the intensity of the workout.

I don't have a HRM to verify my guesses, but I feel pretty confident comparing my level of exertion to other workouts I've done where the calorie burn is more easy to find.

Calisthenics or strength training might be good places to start for rough numbers for the strength training workouts. Yoga and Kenpo will of course have other categories, and Plyo may be the same burn for you as something like high impact aerobics.
  • jmalaschak
    jmalaschak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I entered it in as 500 calories as I don't want to eat back all if those, anyway, so I figured I'd be conservative. Plus, as I go down in weight, I noticed MFP lowers my 500 by a certain percentage, too. Right now I burn about 490 each session.
  • tlcastillo78
    tlcastillo78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this response. I've been trying to figure out how to track it and I finally just put the exercises in individually.
  • eminnick
    eminnick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been going back and forth trying to decide if Livestrong or MFP would be better for me. I think MFP will be. But, I'm having trouble tracking the P90X workouts. Two questions for you: I tried to add each of the P90X daily exercises (ex: Chest & Back) and it wouldn't accept it unless I put in all of the reps etc. Did you run into the same problem? What did you do? Also, what heart rate monitor are you using? I was looking for one that might calculate calories burned. Thanks!!! :smile:
  • mad8588
    mad8588 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I add Aerobics general for about 540 calories in when I do it. Works ok for me.