1200 calories and struggling!

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary you may want to reconsider bananas and all the bread and biscuits.

bananas are good but you need about 1/2 a regular size banana a day. if you want to eat the whole banana that day, eat half early then the other half later

whats the reason for that?

sugar
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary you may want to reconsider bananas and all the bread and biscuits.

bananas are good but you need about 1/2 a regular size banana a day. if you want to eat the whole banana that day, eat half early then the other half later

A banana has 100 calories, pretty high caloric content for a fruit.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

that too

bananas are good...potassium and all that...but going gaga on bananas aint doing any great benefit and whacks the calorie and sugar count
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    While we are on the topic of eating your exercise calories....if anyone reads this lol....why does MFP warn you about eating too few calories when ur under your calorie goal with no exercise for the day...but when you exercise and don't eat back all your exercise calories and you still have some left over it doesn't warn you???
    Because not everyone uses the tool the exact same way. You should only eat back your exercise calories if you log your exercise and aren't accounting for it elsewhere. Other people opt to just set their activity level to active or something like that, which includes more activity in the day, giving you a higher calorie goal. These people will have the same daily goals as they are accounting for the exercise at the activity level. Either of these scenarios would still be considered eating your exercise calories, but in the 2nd case, it's not so much that you're eating them 'back' as they are there all along.

THANK U!!! :D
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You shoudnt eat 1200 calories you should look into eating 1400-1600 calories daily.
    1200 is great if you are under 4 feet but most people cant survive off that.
  • snc1212
    Options
    I have mine set at 1270, and I'm doing fine. I also exercise quite a bit. I would suggest starting your day off with a protein (2 egg whites) and some PLAIN oatmeal - not that pre-packaged flavoured stuff. I add a tub of unsweetened apple sauce to it to make it taste good. Add protein into your snacks and meals - almonds, walnuts. Greek yogurt is a great addition. Also you might want to cut out the 400 calorie alcoholic beverages...imagine what good food you could eat for that 400 calories.

Good luck!!!
  • blasiansrus
    Options

that too

bananas are good...potassium and all that...but going gaga on bananas aint doing any great benefit and whacks the calorie and sugar count

there's nothing wrong with eating a whole banana..who cares if it's 100 calories? It's filling & good for you..and most people need those calories
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you're struggling, eat more.

1200 is really not necessary IMO unless you're like <5ft and really light, with hardly any muscle. I've lost perfectly fine in the past on 1500-1750 plus exercise calories :D
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

i'm allocated 1200 calories and i'm struggling, particularly on days where i don't exercise!

help?

Exercise more, eat lower GI , high water content foods that fill you up. Drink lots of fluids, limit sodium.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You shoudnt eat 1200 calories you should look into eating 1400-1600 calories daily.

Only if you're not exercising and thats a net... I operate on a net of about 500kCal but I eat about 2100 a day and workout hard. (in excess of 100kCal burn a day and a calorie "goal" of 1630) I'm 5' 9" a BMI of 23. Works for me just fine.
  • KLK1986
    Options
    I agree with others who said cut out or restrict the bananas. There are other fruits out there are much lower calorie but still have great levels of vitamins and minerals.

And you do eat an awful lot of biscuits....a LOT....
  • BinkyRaines
    Options
    Hi there! Well done for being so strident and disciplined, I understand that you want to reach your weight loss goal as quickly as you can but please INCREASE YOUR. CALORIES! 1500 cals per day is an achievable long term limit to loose weight, 1200 is simply too low and you will compromise your nutrition and ultimately your health. Include lots of protein, salmon, mackerel, cottage cheese, eggs, prawns, tofu and soya protein all work for me. Include theses foods and healthy fats like olive oil,, nuts, seeds and tahini (spread on wholemeal toast or melted on your veggies) and you will actively increase your weight loss and rev up your metabolism and truly, you will never feel hungry. We all want to be and remain slim but our bone density and immune system (not to mention firm, glowing skin and shiny, healthy hair) are more important than a tiny bum. I wish you luck with all you intend to achieve x
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

that too

there's nothing wrong with eating a whole banana..who cares if it's 100 calories? It's filling & good for you..and most people need those calories

Okay sweetie, if you notice the reason for this post is the OP needed help with her calorie intake, we made suggestions and then gave the reasons for those suggestions. Please pay attention before making such statements in the future. This could help you in real life as well as a forum message board.
    Have a blessed day. :)
  • spottedlee
    Options
    MFP sets everyone to 1200 if they want to lose 1-2lbs/week. It's not necessarily enough to actually fuel your body.
    Everyone????

Not true. I started at 1320 and I was weighing 270. Now I am at 1280. MFP never gave me 1200. Since day 1, it was set for 2 pounds loss a week.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Only if you're not exercising and thats a net... I operate on a net of about 500kCal but I eat about 2100 a day and workout hard. (in excess of 100kCal burn a day and a calorie "goal" of 1630) I'm 5' 9" a BMI of 23. Works for me just fine.

BMR for average adults 5'5" is appx 1400+ so are you saying on rest days its okay to not give the vital organs the nutrients they need? The physiological reaction from the body in this state works against weight loss btw.
    My point is most people can eat a daily amount of calories upwards of 1600-1800 and just lose fat.
    The 1200 highway is slow and guarantees lean mass sacrifice.

After running 100s of numbers for people on this website ive only come across 1 whos bmr was below 1200 and she was grossly underweight.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? The OP has beer, chocolate milk, chocolate margarine and cookies in her diary and you guys are telling her to cut out the BANANAS? This is about a healthy lifestyle. If her calories are too high cut out the cookies and the chocolate. If there is still a problem then maybe let's talk about bananas. Sometimes I wonder if y'all aren't just taking the p!ss as a massive joke...
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

i'm allocated 1200 calories and i'm struggling, particularly on days where i don't exercise!

help?

I had a look at your diary and the first thing I thought was that ONE COOKIE from subway has enough calories to provide for a full meal!
  • AnotherJenn
    AnotherJenn Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have eaten 1200 calories for about two years and have seen very little changes. I have recently started seeing a nutritionist who has instead that I need to eat 1750 calories a day and I must workout 5 times a week. She says I have damaged my metabolism and that it could take up to 3 months to get me out of starvation mode. Just be careful eating so little, you could find yourself working really hard and get nowhere. I'm extremely frustrated since I increased my calories and started weight training I had gained a few pounds which I was told would happen. My point is just be careful dropping your calories, you're having trouble staying at 1200 because your body is trying to tell you it needs more fuel. Good luck.
  • pitboss59
    Options
    Read you on a Diet by Dr. OZ . I finally quick the diet game and learned to eat the foods that race your metabolism. I eat maybe 6-8 times a day now. You can check my story out on my profile or got to www.facebook.com/pitboss59
    Good luck
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Read you on a Diet by Dr. OZ . I finally quick the diet game and learned to eat the foods that race your metabolism. I eat maybe 6-8 times a day now. You can check my story out on my profile or got to www.facebook.com/pitboss59
    Good luck

what foods "race your metabolism"?