Runners... anyone ever heard of Hood to Coast???

Options
So every year for the past 8 years (minus last year b/c I was huge pregnant) I've run a relay race called the Hood to Coast. It's 197 miles from the top of Mt. Hood to Seaside, Oregon. It's a 24 hour relay race with 12 people per team. There are 2 vans of 6 runners. Each van goes through their runners and then pass the baton off to the next van. You do this 3 times, so each person runs a total of 3 times. The terrain is rough, and some of the hills are BRUTAL, so depending on what leg you run, you might have a total of 20 miles, or 18 or something like that, but it pretty much all works out so that you are dying of soreness at the end! It is an absolute riot... super difficult during because of the mental games, but very fun. Sometimes you might run at 2 in the morning or something crazy, just depending on where you are in the line up. Anyway, I didn't think I was going to get to do it again because I live in Florida now (moved here from Portland), but my team needs me. My husband is being wonderful and said he'd watch the baby so I could go and do the race. It's not until the end of August, but I am STOKED!

Just wanted to share my fun news!

Replies

• katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So every year for the past 8 years (minus last year b/c I was huge pregnant) I've run a relay race called the Hood to Coast. It's 197 miles from the top of Mt. Hood to Seaside, Oregon. It's a 24 hour relay race with 12 people per team. There are 2 vans of 6 runners. Each van goes through their runners and then pass the baton off to the next van. You do this 3 times, so each person runs a total of 3 times. The terrain is rough, and some of the hills are BRUTAL, so depending on what leg you run, you might have a total of 20 miles, or 18 or something like that, but it pretty much all works out so that you are dying of soreness at the end! It is an absolute riot... super difficult during because of the mental games, but very fun. Sometimes you might run at 2 in the morning or something crazy, just depending on where you are in the line up. Anyway, I didn't think I was going to get to do it again because I live in Florida now (moved here from Portland), but my team needs me. My husband is being wonderful and said he'd watch the baby so I could go and do the race. It's not until the end of August, but I am STOKED!

Just wanted to share my fun news!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a lot of fun. You have a great husband. I bet the scenery is to die for I've only been to Seaside, Oregon once but I loved it. Good luck on your training. I'm sure your team is happy to have you back. Maybe they'll be extra nice and give you some of the easier runs.:wink:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I love the Hood to Coast and have participated in years passed. My team have desolved and my knees can no longer take the pounding of runny those types of races. The team that I've been on use to have 6 wheelchair racers, so we ran the up hill portions and they took the downhill from Mount Hood, it was a scream because they just come down the mountain like a bat out of (H, E, double hockey sticks) and we'd be way up in front, then because our runners were so bad, we'd lose time on the running, but in the end we'd have an average time. What great memories...thanks for bringing it up.

And at the end...the party at Seaside is the best...:drinker:

Congratulations on being able to go. Hope you have a great time. I love living in the Northwest!!!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have an ultramarathon-type friend who I believe has run the Hood to Coast relay. If you can get a team together, there is a coast to coast relay in Florida (from somewhere around Fort Lauderdale to the gulf coast (Venice maybe) Don't know any details because the whole 'trying to race at 2 AM after riding around in a van all day' thing just doesn't seem that enjoyable. (Maybe I'm just taking it too seriously:laugh: )
    Anyway, have fun and enjoy your race and the time with your friends.