Gym- Flying solo or with company?

Options
I've read people work harder and for longer if they go to the gym with a friend/friends. Personally I go by myself- loner! But I can go at my own speeds, spend as little or long as I like and dont get distracted.

Do most people on here feel more motivated by their own company?

Yours faithfully

Billy no mates

Replies

• live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    yeah definitely alone. i lose myself in my music and stay focused on my workouts. going with friends or even chatting it up with people at the gym wastes time. i like to do circuits, intervals, and stuff like that so i need to be on my own time.
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    All by my lonesome. I've brought my mom a few times, only because she doesn't go often enough to get her own membership, but we barely socialize while we're there. I might show her how to use a machine or try and encourage her, but she knows when I go, I'm there to accomplish something.
  • yahmd
    yahmd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah I like the company when I go with my friends but it gets annoying when I have to finish my cardio when they finish and do the amount of sit ups etc as them when I know I can push myself a lot more. In terms of not being bored it's good to have friends but I don't think it really helps me push myself or anything like that
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I fly solo. I am usually too busy trying to beat my previous day's work to socialize much. I do read my Kindle while I am trying to make it to my goal.
  • 06gwensmamma
    Options
    I like to go alone. I have a husband and a 5 year old little girl, I love em to death but I love my break! :)
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I like going alone...often my wife will come with me and i have to tell her to stop talking and focus on the task at hand.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It is by nature a solitary creature...
  • andreacord
    Options
    I go by myself, because I get distracted if I go with a friend.
  • abcmiah
    abcmiah Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a gym buddy. She is at a higher fitness level than I am so it really motivates me to push myself and try to keep up. :)
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    I fly solo. I tried the whole buddy thing and it was horrible. The only time I like company is if I want to do relaxing exercise. Like walk leisurely with a friend and chit chat. But in my day to day routine...no thank you.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I like going alone...often my wife will come with me and i have to tell her to stop talking and focus on the task at hand.

hilarious.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I go alone. If any of my friends had gym memberships I'd probably go with them, but they don't.
  • inchestopinch
    inchestopinch Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I generally go alone, just because it gives me time to focus on myself and things I need to get done. But for classes, I tend to go with a friend so I'm not the only one laughing at myself with my complete uncoordinated self! :)
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Cardio solo, but I have started working with a trainer and that is awesome, so I think doing strength training with someone would be cool!!!!
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I do both. Twice a week I go with a friend for an hour or two. We chat, but it's not before we burn 200 cals in cardio. Then we swap machines during sets & show each other how to do certain things. I also go alone & get a lot of my focus in there too. On top of that I work out at home alone, so personally I look forward to my 2 days a week to workout with a friend & make sure I'm pushing myself harder. No slacking if someone is there to watch me.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I met up with friends over the weekend, I ended up staying longer so I did burn more calories. So I guess there is some truth to having company, but for the most part I fly solo.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I go alone. I'm doing NROL4W and everyone else is just interested in killing themselves on the treadmil. I can't seem to get them to understand that building muscle is actually a good idea.
  • feb06momma
    Options
    I definitely prefer to go solo...i like to crank my Ipod up and get to work. :)
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Definitely alone! The gym I go to is at my work so 75% of the time I get the whole gym to myself! It bugs me when someone else comes in.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Thats ME time, I go alone all the time and love it!