How do I amp up my metabolism??

Options
2»

Replies

• allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm frustrated and need advice. I've gained about 30 pounds over the last year and can't seem to figure out why. Since January 2011, I've become very conscious about the foods I eat and started exercising, which is something I never used to do. I walked a half-marathon last fall and since Christmas I've tried to amp up my fitness routine even more than I did last year. I'm on a 1,000-1,200 calorie diet and every day I either attend a high-intensity Zumba class or I walk 3 miles on the treadmill. Yet, every month I continue to gain weight. It feels like I literally have no metabolism and my body is holding on to every bit of food I put in it. I've gone to the doctor and had my thyroid checked, but they say it's normal. I'm just so frustrated. I feel like I"m doing everything I'm supposed to be doing, yet my weight still continues to rise and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions??

Pregnant?
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    As some others have said, you need to eat more! If you don't eat enough you will gain weight and not lose. 1000-1200 a day is definately not nearly enough if you're working out regularly. Eat more. Your sample meal plan doesn't include many fruits and veggies. Eat those ... drink more water... watch your sodium.

Less food and more exercise doesn't always mean weight loss.
  • KNMD
    KNMD Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Were your thyroid results sub-optimal but normal? If my latest fitness craze results in me gaining 2 lbs a month (per the usual) I will have this conversation with my doctor, as I'm a TSH = 3.8, which is normal, but high.

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/thyroid-scale

Also, are you eating all your calories? You could try getting your BMR measured to make sure your deficit isn't too much.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    1. Eat more calories. I don't know a soul that could function on that much exercise and that little food. I know it seems counter intuitive, but have a nice dinner and you'll thank us later.

2. Instead of doing a bunch of cardio, try getting some strength training in. I'm not saying you should completely ditch cardio, but if you build muscle, your metabolism will speed up and burn more calories. You'll probably feel better too.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would switch your diet up becaue it's lacking nutrition your body is holding on to whatever it can get.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    Wow, that's pretty interesting. Never would have thunk it. Gives me something to think about.