Couple questions for Certified Personal Trainers

Options
So I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to become a Personal Trainer. I still have a long way to go before I meet my goals, but once I get there I really think I'm going to become certified and help others to reach theirs.
So who has experience in this or knows someone that does? Which accreditation is the best to go for in the USA? Is this something I can do in a fitness club with out a degree in Health Science or similar?

Replies

• loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Saw a job posting for my gym that stated:

Personal Trainers are required to have:
    • Personal Training certification AND/OR a fitness related degree
    • CPR/AED Certified

I hear its a rough racket. a lot of gyms require PTs to sell sell sell. You also have to deal with clients who wont follow your advice. I understand clients also judge you based on how you look. But the fun part... you reach your goal... they ask how you got there... you explain that you worked out and dieted for years. At which point they will stare blankly at you asking you something about acai berries or HCG hormones.

Not trying to discourage you at all if its your passion. Just make sure you study up and maybe talk to some other PT's before you get in to it. Grass isn't always greener on the other side :-)
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals.
    If you would just like to work as a trainer at a club then any kind of personal training certificate will do. I recommend going the cheap route first and getting some experience. Then if you know you love it then you could go back to school and work on an Exercise Science Degree, or get further accreditation from NASM.

I think people who lose weight and have been through the struggles make outstanding personal trainers. Don't worry too much about different certificates at first, get what you need and start working. Experience is far more valuable than spending a bunch of money on certificates and accreditation's. As you go you can build upon your education.

Free site to get certified. This certificate will allow you to train at clubs. I know many personal trainers who only have this one certificate, plus CPR of course.

http://actcertification.org/
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The supplement store I go to, the owner is one. As another poster stated, it is a lot of selling..basically yourself and why you are the right PT for someone. It is a rather tough business, you either hustle to get clients or there is no $$ in it for you. Good luck on reaching your goal and best of luck should you take the PT road.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    totally misread the whole board... deleting message about non profit and stuff...