Avocados?

Options

Replies

• Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Does any one know how to keep them fresh once you cut them?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avocados! Mm baked stuffed avocados are great, avocado sushi rolls, hell tonight I even took a lush "avocado bath bomb" with avocado in it.
  • tracikearns
    tracikearns Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have been logging my avocado as 50 calories per ounce...it was one of the first ones that popped up on mfp that was measuring ounces. Does that sound right?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Lemon juice/citric acid and airtight container. Although they should be used as soon as possible once cut. <3
  • nursegnet
    nursegnet Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love avocados. I have eaten them all my life. So yummy. I would eat them on everything.
  • 007DIVA
    Options
    I love avocados! I put them in my sandwiches and on my veggie burgers. I love using it as a spread too. so yummy. I usually have between 2-4 a week.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Cut out 1/4 avocado and eat, loving every little bite, leaving the skin on (and seed in) the remainder. Wrap the leftover loosely in plastic and let it sit out on your kitchen counter. Repeat performance the next day, and the next, and the next. Voila! It's one of the greatest foods on earth. We need good fats! Walnuts are just great, too, they're high in Omega-3s. 8 halves a day does the trick.
  • Mtnbear334
    Mtnbear334 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well having been born in Puerto Rico, Avacados are not unfamiliar to our culture, although I've been raised in the U.S.. They are great in salads, and good with rice dishes. But they are very fattening, but good for you at the same time. No, but I've never eaten them in the morning with a hard boiled egg. Sounds like it's packed with protein that will hold you well as an early morning meal. Just don't give any to a parrot if you own one, because it will kill the bird.
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Eat some almost every day. Currently eating while writing this:

Quinoa cooked with lime and cilantro
    1 baked chicken tender
    .25 sliced avocado
    .5 chopped tomato
    Slice of red onion
    Spoon full of homemade tzatziki sauce

I like them with eggs, with cottage cheese, on all sandwiches, etc. Delicious!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Avocados are healthy and full of good fats
    Avos are a great addition to salads I have found, I also use it on toast instead of butter/margarine
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I forgot to get them this week but i normally eat 1/2 a avacado every day. Either on a salad or in a pita pocket. I LOVE them! I'm not sure what they do for me but I know there good for the body AND taste good. So I'm not arguing.
  • robinlmcalpine
    Options
    I eat them a few times a week. I love them and they have good fat.
  • sylwiasta
    sylwiasta Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just make my own version of guacamole so I eat 1 avocado for 3-4 days. I mix avocado, minced onions and garlic, diced jalopenios, tomatoe and cilantro (plus salt and pepper). It makes a yummy addition to my breakfast or lunch or even dinner. Just yummy!! Like b-fast: 100cal roll, turkey b-fast patty 90cal, egg substitute 30cal plus 2 tablespoon of my guaca! yummy!!! so filling!!
  • speedycakes
    speedycakes Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Avocados are healthy and full of good fats
    Avos are a great addition to salads I have found, I also use it on toast instead of butter/margarine
    I spread it on toast too! I actually made bean avocado toast once, it was pretty good.
  • gajohn6
    gajohn6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i I love avocados!! raw or in a salad they are the best!!
  • CoralConnor
    CoralConnor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Avocados are high in fat, which means they are calorie dense, not low-cal. Fat provides 9 calories per gram, more than twice the number provided by carbohydrates or protein. and egg yolks are high in fat as well. Try eating your avocado with egg whites and skip the yolks.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yumm, not every day but on workout days you bet, otherwise I'd never get to my calories.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Love them. I even had a half of one for dinner. I don't eat them too much because of the calorie content but now and then is ok.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am really not a fan.. but I will mix it with salsa sometimes to get in the good fat
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Lemon juice/citric acid and airtight container. Although they should be used as soon as possible once cut. <3
    I believe I've also read that if you leave the pit in when you cut it in half it helps as well.

Thanks for all the interesting ideas for avocados Gang, the most interesting one I read is the oatmeal one! :flowerforyou: