I need you...

Options
My Fitness Pals!

I need help and possibly a kick up the bum.

I haven't totally back-slid yet but I can feel it happening. I haven't dropped much weight recently, got increasing stress levels (death in the family and rental house being sold from underneath us so we have to find somewhere to move to), plus mega busy with rehearsals for a show which opens next week. These things have combined to put my eating and exercise on the back burner.

But I can't do that! I've been doing so well. I'm still logging everything and coming in under goal, but I've gone from lots of exercise to not very much (not able to make time) and I'm finding it hard to get organized with food so I'm allowing myself to get too hungry (haven't had time to shop) so I'm making poor choices.

What do you do when life starts getting in the way of a healthy 'lifestyle'?

I have to keep going - failure is not an option this time!! Any help or encouragement will be greatly appreciated. MFP hasn't failed me yet...

:frown:

Replies

• bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hey! Dont't give up! Its a marathon not a sprint.

You could try changing up your routine. Maybe you are bored. Maybe you need to try some new foods. Try anew workout. Just don't give up!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Whats up with that?!

gunny.jpg
    SHOW ME YOUR KILLER FACE!!!!!!!!!!
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For me, it's about being accoutable - not to anybody else but to myself. I'm the only one who can do this - not my husband, not my friends. Just me. I don't like execise and used to have to really make myself go for a walk - now I'm like "let's go for a walk"! I've lost 15 pounds and I'm not - I repeat "NOT" putting it back on - so I have no choice but to keep going! Good luck to you!
  • Abjohnson0607
    Options
    Take some time out of each day & go for a walk/run (whatever you prefer), do some yoga or pilates (both are relaxing & always make me feel better) i've just started doing pilates & it seems like my stress level has gone way down. Sometimes it's good to just have some "me time" & if you're trying to get healthy try something like that. It helps me :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Life is always going to try to get in the way.

You are in control of what goes in your mouth. No one can do this for you. Plan ahead, take food with you when you are out for the day.

Don't let temporary problems decide your future. Take control of your life. You can do it!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Im a single dad raising a seven year old by myself, recently divorced and very nearly broke after the divorce. Life gets me down from time to time(I hate tuesdays cuz i have to see my ex at the school) And it seems that exercise always goes to the back burner as my little girl doesnt like to walk as far as i do. I have to tell myself DAILY that is what life is all about LIVING it. You CAN do it, just dont give up!!!!!You can overcome ANY obstacles
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    You are all right (and thank you!!).

I need to take control and get my head back in the game with a plan.

First: grocery shop time tomorrow afternoon.
    Second: in bed with lights out by 10:30 every 'school night', no excuses.
    Third: I have some home exercise games & DVDs so I'll fit in some every day, even if I have to get up early.
    Fourth: get better water consumption by remembering to log it instead of guessing!

Little goals, but achievable, even in this messy time of life!
  • jmalaschak
    jmalaschak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Exercise, exercise, exercise! I have realized now that food was what made me feel better after a bad day at work. I can't be like that anymore. The above poster is right...you are accountable to yourself. Be your best motivator!

I have forced myself to replace food with exercise to cope with life's stresses. I hate doing it, but I feel 1000% better about myself afterwards. It's that feeling that keeps me going. After 2 weeks, it becomes a habit.

Don't stop now! Running, Pilates, something. Anything!
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Find out what really matters to you ... sometimes we have to step out of the box and take a leap of faith. Life will throw challenges your way ... there will be times when nothing seems fair and all you want to do is quit ! These are the times that make or break us ... you can either sit back and do nothing and watch your progress slowly disappear ... or you can the bull by the horns and start making changes that will lead to a healthier lifestyle. Take the time to figure out your living situation, make a decision and move on. When you feel like you have no time to think about what your eating ... that's total crap ! We put as much thought into our bad choices as it takes to make good choices. Surround yourself with positive people ... do things that make you happy .. find out what is missing that will complete your quest for a better life.

Listen .. we all make mistakes .. this is not what defines us ... how we deal with our choices, the chances we take ... and the ability to continue forward in a positive state is what proves to be our strongest defense. I encourage you ... No, I challenge you to put yourself first and make the changes in your mindset that will increase your odds of making better choices about your health in general.

Like the story goes ... the show must go on ! :)
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's a long lasting life challenge and your just at one of those obstacles where you can go either way... dont look back ,focus on how far youve come and if and the better word- WHEN you get through these tough times it will be even easier for you in future!! Your adapting the new healthy ways around emotional life dealings .....just another challenge which you CAN DO !!
    maybe buy an inspiring book to read , and make time to read a coupla pages here and there...tuesdays with morrie by mitch albom is something i highly recommend to anyone, esp one who needs some spirit uplifting !! :O)
    i see youve lost 8KG how good would it be to use feb to get into the double digits and make that a 10 !!!!???
    I have every faith in you , be strong, smile, and stay focused ...... its so much more energy consuming to be in a negative stressful way of life, even if it takes a little force of action to bring back your happiness and determination!! You can do it :)))))
    YOU CAN !!!...YOU WILL !!!!! *\o/**\o/**\o/**\o/**\o/**\o/**\o/*

xxxx
    hugs from australia
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    PS: with the exercise side of things, for me its the best stress releasor ..... get in your gym gear , even if you wont exercise straight away you wont want to change out of them without doing a bit of exercise whether its a 20 min walk to get you back on track .......
    xxxxxxx that works for me anyhow, i generally change into gym gear and within a coupla hrs max im working out thinking..WOW!! xxxxx
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    11285374-large.jpg[img][/img]
  • petiteloriwithin
    Options
    Hopefully this will motivate you..... I said they same things you are saying.... year after year, crisis after crisis. How I wish I would've put myself first and allowed the time and energy for myself, nurtured (the real kind, not the junk food kind) my body and soul when ravaged by stress. Don't be like I was.... otherwise, you could end up like me at 50 yrs old, now 90 formidable pounds overweight with years of excuses behind me and nothing to show for it except a reflection in the mirror I scarcely recognize. You have to tell yourself that no matter what is happening around you.... and really BECAUSE of what is happening around you, you are worth the effort, RIGHT NOW. Good luck to you! I am on my way back to health and I hope you stay on your path. Take good care of yourself!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Keep logging, good day or bad day.
    For me, this helps keep me accountable to myself and it makes me think twice before picking up a family block of chocolate instead of a punnet of cherry tomatoes or strawberries for a snack. Last year was tough and I had some days that were just miserably bad when it came to eating - but I'm still here, still logging and about the weight I want to be.
    You can do it too!
  • bexxgirl
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Really, thank you - for the encouragement, the kindness and the bum-kicks. I already feel better and I'm ready to push through this roadblock and get this DONE!!

Once again, MFP has come through for me.

:heart:
  • kathrynbeach
    Options
    Stick with it! Just remember, because you aren't on track for a bit doesn't mean the game is over! It's continual! Have you ever thought about buying healthy snacks that don't expire quickly (and that you constantly keep on hand) so when you can't make it to the store... you have those easy to go to items? I usually try to always have rice cakes, nutri grain bars, oatmeal, brown rice, and peanut butter. You can put together a healthy snack without busting your waistline. Then again, there are just some days I say screw it... stress, whatever. I just hop back on when I feel better. You're doing great!