Zoloft and trying to loose weight

Options
My Dr. just recently prescribed zoloft to me for anxiety, while I have taken this before I'm a bit concerned with gaining weight while taking it. I was on anti-anxiety and anti-depressants throughout high school and up until I became pregnant. Has anyone had any experience with dieting while on these kinds of medications, one of the side effects of zoloft is weight gain. After some research I'm almost wishing he had put me on something different.

Replies

• crbruner
    crbruner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    And I totally meant lose not loose haha oops
  • deboyd5004
    deboyd5004 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Zoloft since October. I did gain a lot of weight (18lbs, up to 218) BUT I don't think it was because of the Zoloft. I began getting really tired and slept all the time. It turns out I was deficient in Vitamin D, which I just found out about last Thursday.

I decided around Jan 3 that I needed to jump back on the wagon. Since then I've lost 13lbs. Not a ton, but not bad for the month.
  • SLT4273
    Options
    i took zoloft years ago. didnt gain, in fact, i ended up losing because i felt better and had more energy.
  • xoja87
    xoja87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started taking sertraline, generic of Zoloft, a couple weeks ago. My nurse practitioner selected Zoloft from other anti-anxiety/anti-depressants because it doesn't make you increase your appetite. If anything, this has the tendency to decrease appetite and weight, but by only slightly. She did this in response to me telling her I had lost 60lbs in 12-14 months and still had more weight and fat to lose. I had just started overeating before starting Zoloft.

I feel if you keep logging your foods and exercises you should be fine. That's my plan and hope!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'm on a whack ton of zoloft and wellbutrin, and I've lost 14 lbs in 6 weeks maintaining my calorie goal and working out. The psychiatrist switched me from paxil to zoloft saying zoloft was the least likely to make you gain weight.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have taken it for years and haven't experienced weight gain that isn't attributed to my overeating. I also took it during my last pregnancy and have a happy totally healthy 9 month old.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've been on Zoloft for about a year. My weight didn't really increase at all. And since I started trying to lose weight I haven't had much of a problem dropping the pounds. So far... for me anyways, the benefits far, far outweigh the few side effects (my stomach gets a little upset occasionally).

I'm also vitamin d deficient. If your doc hasn't tested your vitamin d levels I would highly recommend checking that first too.