Filling, waist friendly breakfast

sandymanx
sandymanx Posts: 4 Member
Hi guys, thought I'll share a recipe that is really working for me. This is a pretty straight forward bran porridge, but with some tweaks. This recipe serves 1.

You'll need:

1.5 cups water
pinch of salt
1 tbsp oat bran
1 tbsp wheat bran
0.5 tbsp oat flakes
0.5 tbsp flax meal (coarse ground flax seeds)
0.5 cup sprouted garbanzo beans (or similar)
0.5 cup fat free yoghurt
0.5 cup pomegranate pods

set the water to boil, add salt, add all the bran, the oat flakes, the flax meal and the soruted garbanzo. bring to boil, then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from fire, let cool.

(This is when I do other things - shower, get ready for work)

Once cool, add the fat free yoghurt and the pomegranate, some more water to dilute to a thick but fluid consistency. Pour into a s drinking glass with a lid (tupperware type) and you have a super breakfast on the go!

This breakfast is rich in protein (yoghurt, sprouts, bran), lots of roughage (again, bran), soluble fibre (bran), and is a low Glycemic index food (good carbs - slow release of sugar into blood).

The pomegranates add a nice burst of sweetness here and there, and add a vitamin and anti-oxidant boost.

Nutrition tools tell me this is a 300 calorie meal, with about 60 grams of carbs, 15 grams of fat and 15 grams of protein, which is great for my calorie budget.

This keeps me full well into lunch hour, and helps me make sensible choices at lunch.

Oh yeah, you can do this with milk too, but I am mildly lactose intolerant, but can handle yoghurt. So.

Hope you find this useful!