Food Allergies - Help!

Options
I am allergic to just about every single fruit you can imagine. Blueberries seem to be the only fruit that I can tolerate. When I eat any other fruit my throat and tongue swell up and my chest tightens. I am also allergic to all nuts. I have other food allergies, but I want to focus on avoiding these groups in particular. Does anyone have any suggestions for meals, snacks, etc.?

Replies

• msjta
    msjta Posts: 51
    Options
    Wow! i too have very bad food allergies: tomatoes, potatoes, tree nuts all fruit with a big seed. I must say that it is a real challenge. I eat alot of fresh vegetables, chicken, fish and turkey.
  • sherrywtrmn
    sherrywtrmn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Exactly! I can't have tomatoes or potatoes either. It's so hard! I have to say that the fruit is the most difficult to deal with though.
  • Bluemountain22
    Bluemountain22 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to all nuts, so have quite a bit of trouble avoiding that. How are you with veggies, I'm a huge fan of munching on carrot sticks and celery...a little boring but I really like the crunch.

Soups are also a new found love, butternut squash, pea and mint soup, carrot and coriander.

I also tend to replace potatoes with other root veggies such as celeriac, parsnips, and swede which are also lower calorie and can be mashed, roasted and shaped into chips  . Any of those vegetables with grilled chicken are some of my favourite meals.

Hope any of those suggestions help!
  • msjta
    Options
    My favorite veggies are: celery sticks, carrots, string beans, collard greens, cabbage, and spinach. i eat alot of stir frys with olive oil.
  • msjta
    Options
    with potatoes and tomatoes .....I my skin breaks out in blotches. Returned from Jamaica in Oct with severe reactions from probably cross contamination. I was on medication for weeks. I must always have my med alert bracelet on and eppie pin in my pocketbook.
  • I am allergic to wheat and corn. If anyone has fav things they'd like to share, I'm interested! As for snacks without fruit or nuts, there are plenty of veggies you can eat with various dips. You can also get veggie crakers, soy nuts, etc. as snacks from the health food store.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I think meals should be easy to avoid fruit during.

Snacks, though, may be a bit harder. If you want something sweet you could try plain yogurt with some honey, peanut butter, Fiber One brownies, oatmeal with brown sugar or sweetner of your choice, chocolate almond milk...
  • msjta
    Options
    I sometimes make popcorn with olive oil and a little sea salt.I take sliced cucumbers and celery to work as an afternoon snack.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think meals should be easy to avoid fruit during.

Snacks, though, may be a bit harder. If you want something sweet you could try plain yogurt with some honey, peanut butter, Fiber One brownies, oatmeal with brown sugar or sweetner of your choice, chocolate almond milk...

Presumably not the peanut butter or almond milk though, because of the nut allergy...:flowerforyou:
    How are you with seeds, homemade popcorn, rice cakes (maybe with a little low fat cheese or honey on top)?
    I hope you manage to find some good ideas :smile:
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I would roast and puree peppers and use that puree in place of tomato sauce in recipes.
  • sherrywtrmn
    sherrywtrmn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! All of these suggestions are wonderful and I look forward to trying them!