Water Does Not Fill Me Up

Options
nikii14
nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
I'm not complaining in this thread because I am acheiving all of my goals with weightloss and am happy. I was just wondering if anyone else does not get that "full" feeling from drinking water. I drink so much water during the day that I honestly don't keep track. So I am definately drinking enough.
You know how they say, if you are hungry drink water, it will curb your appetite?? Not for me. When I am hungry, I can drink a gallon......I'm still hungry. Maybe because I pee so much:ohwell: ???

It does make me feel great and has definately made a huge difference in my body, but doesn't seem to fill me up or curb my appetite.

Anyone know why???:noway:

Replies

• nikii14
    Options
    I'm not complaining in this thread because I am acheiving all of my goals with weightloss and am happy. I was just wondering if anyone else does not get that "full" feeling from drinking water. I drink so much water during the day that I honestly don't keep track. So I am definately drinking enough.
    You know how they say, if you are hungry drink water, it will curb your appetite?? Not for me. When I am hungry, I can drink a gallon......I'm still hungry. Maybe because I pee so much:ohwell: ???

It does make me feel great and has definately made a huge difference in my body, but doesn't seem to fill me up or curb my appetite.

Anyone know why???:noway:
  • xfluffyfrogx
    Options
    I have the same problem!!! I am interested to see what anyone says. I feel like all I do all day is drink water and it does nothing for me. I have even tried the drinking water 30 minutes before a meal and I am still starving.
  • nwfamilygal
    nwfamilygal Posts: 635
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I drink hot decaf tea before I eat that seems to curb the hunger feeling.:drinker: :drinker:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not alone.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    It doesn't fill me up either. I am drinking 80 plus ounces a day, and it doesn't fill me up at all.
  • nikii14
    Options
    I thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Me too...I thought I was going nuts. I've been doing this for quite a few months too...I can understand if I just started.
    Well, at least we know we aren't CRAZY:tongue:
  • nik433
    nik433 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm so glad to see so many other people that have this problem! All I get from water is the urge to pee a LOT.....no appetite control, no diminished hunger. I have had decaf green tea with some meals and that seems to make me feel full quicker but definately not any longer. :ohwell:
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I read an article a LONG time ago... Have no idea where it was from... But it basically said that drinking a bunch of water may not curb your appetite, but it will make your body function better. Eating food that had a high water content DID keep people more full for longer and helped to reduce calorie intake in the long run-like broth based soups as an appetizer before eating a meal.

I don't feel full from drinking water, either... And I shoot for around 3-4 Nalgene bottles a day!:bigsmile:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you drink a lot, but are you spacing it out through the day, or just chugging a bottle and expect to curb the hunger right then?

That is what I used to do....I'd have two hours left of work and I was starving, so I would drink a 16 ounce bottle of water in under 10 minutes and was surprised I was still hungry.

But once I started drinking water through out the day, I had no problem making it until lunch and not getting hungry until right then, and sometimes the hunger would even hold off long enough to go for a walk before eating.

If that doesn't help, try breaking your meals down into smaller, more frequent meals. If you eat 600 calories for lunch, break it down into a 100 calorie AM snack, a 400 calorie lunch and a 100 calorie PM snack. Also try to figure out if you are really hungry, or just bored. I am often way more "hungry" at work just because I am bored, than I am at home.
  • nikii14
    Options
    It does sound like you drink a lot, but are you spacing it out through the day, or just chugging a bottle and expect to curb the hunger right then?

That is what I used to do....I'd have two hours left of work and I was starving, so I would drink a 16 ounce bottle of water in under 10 minutes and was surprised I was still hungry.

But once I started drinking water through out the day, I had no problem making it until lunch and not getting hungry until right then, and sometimes the hunger would even hold off long enough to go for a walk before eating.

If that doesn't help, try breaking your meals down into smaller, more frequent meals. If you eat 600 calories for lunch, break it down into a 100 calorie AM snack, a 400 calorie lunch and a 100 calorie PM snack. Also try to figure out if you are really hungry, or just bored. I am often way more "hungry" at work just because I am bored, than I am at home.

Yup.....I drink water throughout the day and I also eat approx 6 small meals throughout the day. I'm too busy in my day to be bored:laugh:

Weird huh??
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Water doesn't help me to feel full by itself, but when I drink it with oatmeal or some other food, it helps expand the food in my stomach so I'm not as hungry as I would be after eating. Also, seltzer water and hot tea help me, too. It's definitely not a replacement for food.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I don't think the point is that water will fill you up. Sometimes though, when you're thirsty you mistake it for being hungry and will eat. Also the process of losing weight requires a great deal of water, so if you don't drink enough it can slow down the process.

That being said, enough is enough when it comes to water, you needn't drink 40 gallons of water a day.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Not only that, but EXTREME over-hydrating is dangerous... If you do drink gallons and gallons of water a day, then you can run the risk of flushing those much-needed electrolytes from your system, causing you to feel light-headed, dizzy, and sometimes, you can even faint.

I'm not trying to scare anyone; a friend of mine actually did it when he was trying to hydrate in preparation for an event that was going to last about 16 hours in the Hawaiian sun... And he ended up going to the E.R. instead-and put on an electrolyte profile... Or military talk for prescription of Gatoraide:drinker: