Weekly binge, still losing?

Options
This is probably going to seem like a really dumb/fat person question. I wind up binging once a week (usually late night ramen with my boyfriend...sodium nucleur bomb, I know) by around 600 calories. It makes me feel like crap, I proclaim not to do it....six days later, bam, another binge. I'm still losing (around 1-2 pounds a week). Is this normal? I've heard of once a week binges in maitenance mode, but not in losing mode. Am I going to quit losing after a while this way, or should I just give myself some slack and plan for a once a week binge?

Any advice/thoughts are appreciated. :D

Replies

• b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    it just means that even with that one day calorie splurge you are using/burning more calories in a week than you need to maintain weight.
  • stephelan
    Options
    Well, I think if they are only 600 calories, it shouldn't affect you too much and you should probably still lose. They tell you to have a cheat day anyway! Though speaking from personal experience, weekly binges have caused me to plateau for two years. (However, mine are more in the multiple-thousand range.)

Good luck! Maybe try splitting a package of ramen with your boyfriend instead of having a whole thing? Also, if you know it's going to happen inevitably, plan the rest of the day's calories or work-out around it. Work-out extra hard or eat a smaller lunch.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calories - if you are still under your maintenance calories over the week, then you should still lose weight.

If you have a set a 500 cal/day deficit (to lose 1 pound a week) that makes a 3500 calories deficit over the whole week.
    If you eat spot on every day except one and you go over by 600 cals on that day day - then you've just changed your calorie deficit from 3500 to 2900 for the week - that's still a significant deficit so you should lose weight.

(Of course this doesn't take into account variables like sodium, water retention, monthly cycle etc.... but you get the idea).
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely think I'll start planning it out and allow myself a binge of around 300 (that'll put me at 1500 cal for that day)...as of right now it's not planned so I just kinda go overboard. o.0

I guess a few years of bad habits are just REALLY hard to kill!
  • LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I usually let myself have a little bit of a cheat day once a week, so it's not something you should really beat yourself up over. One day of binging isn't enough to undo 6 other days of hard work. (thank goodness) lol
  • MumMumOfMany
    MumMumOfMany Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    i allow myself one 'binge' day a week if my friday weigh in shows a loss. normally tht friday evenin i'll scoff biscuits and crisps etc, then back to behaving sat thro to nxt weigh in. i have no idea if this is healthy or right etc, but i've been losing 2lbs a week since december so it clearly workin for me lol x
  • LReReed
    LReReed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else has said is right. I've reached a point where I'm not losing weight as quickly, so I try to just have 1 cheat MEAL a week, instead of a whole cheat day. I'm hoping it will jumpstart this process again of losing weight.