No need for a scale, 420 pounds and I feel great!

Options

Replies

• emporiab
    emporiab Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Way to go Andy :)
  • kawanna941
    kawanna941 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!! Great story, keep going!!!!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I love you attitude and your aproach. You have set up multipal venues for support. I hope you get all the support you need.

I also hope that you work closley with a doctor where your helath issues, ribs and meds etc. are concerned. We as a community want you to be safe.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't do this. Keep rocking it!
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I have said it before and I will say it again. Your mindset is what will determine if you accomplish what you set out to do.

For the first time in my life, I feel I have my mind in this along with my body. Determination and motivation keep me going every day. If you can keep your head in this I think you will go far. Good Luck and be proud of what you are doing. I am proud for you!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Read the negative comments from the "Medical experts". Of course you do have to pay attention to how you feel. But don't ever forget the "medical community" is based on "medicine" . Drug companies. They are in it for the profit. Do check out http://www.drfuhrman.com/default.aspx Read about what eating a plant based diet can do for you. Inspiring movies are: Food Matters. Forks over Knives. Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.

You pulled your head up, you said you are not going to take it anymore and you can do it. Another thing that helped me was www.fatloser.com Steven Siebold is a world renown motivational speaker. Don't sound like you need him but he might help to keep you pumped up when the going gets tough as it does for all of us one time or another.

Just know that you are on the right path. You can only get better from here. The "medical community" is out there if you need them. This is a type of therapy in here, too, though. Finding strength in others while they find their strength in you.

Best of luck to you! You can do it! You are well on your way. Just because THEY can't do it doesn't mean that YOU can't do it. If it were easy everyone would be thin, fit, and healthy. Wonder how many of us are here working towards those ends?
    Susan
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    deleted as my question was addressed while I was typing. :-)
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Having been on antidepressants most of my adult life (i'm 44), I can tell you that there have been times where I've felt absolutely FANTASTIC and thought BAH! who needs 'em! The last time I did that, I fell apart at work - started crying and couldn't stop and had to take nearly 5 months off. Worst 5 months of my life.

I'm SO GLAD YOU'RE GETTING HEALTHY! YAY! But please, PLEASE don't go off your meds unless prescribed by a doctor. Mental illness doesn't just 'go away' - it's a chemical imbalance - if you had a heart condition, would you stop taking your medication just because you felt better? Likely not. Antidepressants are the same - and having depression or a mental disorder is nothing to be ashamed of!

Keep up the good fight, but do it in a way that's going to sustain you permanently!
  • barberella
    Options
    For those of you that criticized him for going off his meds, how bout givin him a shout out for opening up and sharing his story? He came on here to share his story and get some positive feedback, not to be judged..And for the simple reason he said he was on anti-depressants means he has been dealing with some issues that are personal, yet he shared..again, not to be judged or criticized. Plus, he initially never said he didn't consult a doctor..Give him love for opening up and sharing how he feels especially that he feels great..Don't make him regret coming on here...
  • jessica091303
    jessica091303 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So, in 20 days you lost a few pounds out of a total of 200 you may need to lose, and in spite of your ill health, you feel great, so out with the prescribed medication.
    After only 20 days?
    You decided to become your own shrink?
    NOT GOOD!
    Mental illness doesn't just go away just because you drop a few pounds and feel good about it.

You are setting yourself up for a major fall.

I hear what you're saying but how's about a little sensitivity? We can give people advice without making them feel like total losers by putting them down like that. Here's to hoping the OP is getting careful medical care/follow up and is setting himself to a major WIN!

Agreed!
  • jessica091303
    Options
    For those of you that criticized him for going off his meds, how bout givin him a shout out for opening up and sharing his story? He came on here to share his story and get some positive feedback, not to be judged..And for the simple reason he said he was on anti-depressants means he has been dealing with some issues that are personal, yet he shared..again, not to be judged or criticized. Plus, he initially never said he didn't consult a doctor..Give him love for opening up and sharing how he feels especially that he feels great..Don't make him regret coming on here...

Agreed!
  • jessica091303
    Options
    Great motivation...thanks for sharing :)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Andy! Way to take the bull by the horns as it were! You're attitude is remarkable, and if you can just hold on to it I know you will be more successful than you ever imagined!

May I offer a couple small suggestions? I'm glad to read you are going off your meds with your doctor's permission. Do you have anyone that is aware of your depression, and that knows you well enough to be able to tell if you are slipping back into it? I only ask this because coming off the meds can be a real roller coaster. The chemicals in your brain have been assisted by the meds all this time. When you come off them you body can be slow to compensate. This can send you into a spiral. It's nothing to do with how great you feel about yourself, and the fantastic new mindset you have. It's about the chemicals getting back to where they should. Be on the look out for any relapse into depression. Have a friend or family member keep an eye on you as well, and if there are any problems tell your doctor immediately. Ok?

My last suggestion is to maybe find a physical therapist or a trainer that is used to working with someone your size. You'll need to be careful when starting a new routine. As you've already experienced, you can really injure yourself . You have to pace yourself, and work your way into the exercise routine. Get your body used to the adjustments, and learn how to move without injury.

Best of luck to you. You can do it! You can be successful!
  • Queenb62303
    Options
    awesome! keep it up! that is amazing, and very inspiring!
  • Stephisonaroll
    Options
    Hey!

I started my weight loss journey exactly 20 days ago today. I weigh (Or weighed) Somewhere between 400-440 pounds, I will never know because I bought the highest capacity scale from weight watchers and broke it. Stepped on it and it errored. I got really discouraged by this but when I entered this journey for weight loss it was because I had almost died of a blood infection called Sepsis. I had salmonella in my blood. Therefore, a scale would not stop me. I then put my back out and was unable to exercise any more. I would not let that stop me. Today, Not only is my back out but ive cracked/bruised a rib because of the amount of weight i have to put on my right side due to a slipped disk. I would not let that stop me.

Im here to tell you that regardless of numbers on a machine, I FEEL great, I have gained self confidence, self respect, and self esteem for the first time in my entire life, and I am living an incredibly healthy lifestyle. Yesterday I put my jeans on for the first time in 20 days, I could fit my entire arm down the side of them up to my elbow wich measured about 5 inches wich most would say is equivalent to about 12 pounds.

I am happy, I stopped taking my anti-depressants today. I dont need them anymore.. I cured part of my mental illness on my own without drugs, the ability to care about my happiness and not just others.

All of this within 20 days.

If I can do it, you can do it. I believe in all of you you all have the strength to pull through this.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. I support =)

Thank you for sharing your story, it's great that a little self respect (for your health, body and mind) can do. Keep up the good with watching your portions and your water workouts. I hope you will talk to your doc to fill them in on your new routine, it's always best to keep them in the loop just in case something were to happen. You are doing and awesome job :happy:
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options

So, in 20 days you lost a few pounds out of a total of 200 you may need to lose, and in spite of your ill health, you feel great, so out with the prescribed medication.
    After only 20 days?
    NOT GOOD!
    Mental illness doesn't just go away just because you drop a few pounds and feel good about it.

Agreed!

Don't take this the wrong way guys but you are both doing the exact same thing you are criticizing the OP for doing. You are no more qualified to tell him he is wrong anymore than he is to say he is right!

My advice would be for him to get a professional second opinion.
    [/quote]

When I took myself off antidepressants, my doctor thought I was crazy, 3 weeks later when they were purged from my system I finally felt normal, Everyone was telling how much better I looked. I hated the fog I was always in from the antidepressants.

True Mental illness does not just go away, but I know of several other cases besides myself where the drugs were having the opposite to desired effects.

Yes, check with a doctor, but monitor the drug results yourself. How you like how you feel on them.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome awesome awesome! Congratulations! You are an inspiration. Best of luck on your journey.
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Agreed!

Agreed as well! It sounds like he's got this, mentally...and really, that is what counts. Andy, seriously, you are doing fantastic. Shrug off the negative. Love the Hawk btw!
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    Having been on antidepressants most of my adult life (i'm 44), I can tell you that there have been times where I've felt absolutely FANTASTIC and thought BAH! who needs 'em! The last time I did that, I fell apart at work - started crying and couldn't stop and had to take nearly 5 months off. Worst 5 months of my life.

I'm SO GLAD YOU'RE GETTING HEALTHY! YAY! But please, PLEASE don't go off your meds unless prescribed by a doctor. Mental illness doesn't just 'go away' - it's a chemical imbalance - if you had a heart condition, would you stop taking your medication just because you felt better? Likely not. Antidepressants are the same - and having depression or a mental disorder is nothing to be ashamed of!

Keep up the good fight, but do it in a way that's going to sustain you permanently!

Thank you for your kind words, but as many have said on here, everyone is different. I wont know if i dont try! just like that tofu I had last night! yum!
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options

After only 20 days?
    NOT GOOD!

Agreed!

Don't take this the wrong way guys but you are both doing the exact same thing you are criticizing the OP for doing. You are no more qualified to tell him he is wrong anymore than he is to say he is right!

My advice would be for him to get a professional second opinion.
    When I took myself off antidepressants, my doctor thought I was crazy, 3 weeks later when they were purged from my system I finally felt normal, Everyone was telling how much better I looked. I hated the fog I was always in from the antidepressants.

True Mental illness does not just go away, but I know of several other cases besides myself where the drugs were having the opposite to desired effects.

Yes, check with a doctor, but monitor the drug results yourself. How you like how you feel on them.
    [/quote]

AMEN to this, my friend. EVERYONE is different and will be differently affected.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Awesome PhatAndy!! Be sure to take your 'before' pictures because I just know you will acheive AMAZING results as time progressses! I look forward to seeing you in Feb 2013 when you post a full year of this determination! Not only are you 'doing it' but you are doing it with such a fantastic attitude. God Bless PhatAndy! whooooooop whoooooop!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!