addicted to exercise?

Options
i have been exercising alot this year. only had two rest days in january. i have heard from many sources how important rest days so my goal is to have at least two per week starting now. i managed one on monday and was hoping to make tomorrow another rest day, but i cant help thinking it would be soo nice to go for a run. it seems so dissappointing to have to wait one extra day.

if you are an addict, what do you do to push yourself to take a rest day? i need to have some type of change in mind set.

any suggestions welcome

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Play it by ear, if you feel yourself struggling to sleep, eat correctly, and stay patient with work/life then take a day off.

Case and point me: I work in graphics we have the Superbowl, and the world ag expo, coming up so we are frantically making signs for every bar and farmer in a 60 mile radius. work is stressful so after work i do not have the energy i usually would. I've already taken 2 days off from the gym this week, and might take Friday off as well. Sure it sucks but i would rather have productive days at the gym than days that are only setting me back more.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would not take off 2 days a week. To me rest means not doing the same workout day after day. I also took only 2 days off in January. My "rest" days instead are a day when I do just a brisk 45 min -1 hour walk. I don't run everyday due to my knee, I do Jillian michaels DVDs 3 days a week (strength, 30-40 mins), running 3 days a week (3-4 miles) an walking one day. I also end some days with 20 mins on the elliptical ;) I think my workouts are pretty light but I would rather do something light 6-7 days a week then a lot 4-5 days.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Well I personally didn't have to do anything to push myself to start taking rest days... I have injured myself a few times already by pushing myself too hard... so I learned the hard way. I take every Saturday off now, happily. :happy:
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i would rather have productive days at the gym than days that are only setting me back more.

i think i will try and use this mindset, that a day off will equal a more productive day the following day
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    to be injury free is a good reason also. i do like to mix it up alot, i alternate between running/ biking or both usually for around 30mins so not particularly long