How could I lose muscle (safely)?

Options
I'm hesitant to post this topic because I feel a lot of people would question why I'd want to get rid of muscle, but I hope there are some people out there who can help me. The internet seems to be letting me down on this one.

I took ballet until I was 17 and built up my thigh muscles quite heavily. I haven't done any significant thigh exercises (except occasionally skiing or going hiking) in about 13 years now, but my thigh muscles (and butt muscles) are still quite large and developed. At this point, I'm assuming they aren't going to decrease on their own.

I enjoy being strong, BUT I would also like to slim down the bulk a bit. I'm out of proportion with a skinny top and big thighs and frankly, a lot of people think I'm fat because they can't tell it's muscle and not fat under my clothing. Yes, people have commented, but at 5'4'' and 121lbs I am hardly fat. I am also NOT interested in bulking up my upper body to even things out.

I heard that long distance running will help and so I now jog 5km about 3 times a week and I hope to increase that distance slowly. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Replies

• LelliAmi
    LelliAmi Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The best way to lose muscle but stay fit is to up your cardio and lower your muscle training. Ex: do 45 min on the elliptical, but pass on the lunges and squats. Honestly though, I would just go with it. If you have muscle, that means you're athletic. Athletic is sexy, so show it off!! :)
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks LelliAmi. I'm pretty much doing that now and hoping it will work. :ohwell:

The problem is that I don't look athletic in clothing, I just look big. Yes, I can wear more revealing clothing sometimes, but in winter that's a bit tough. (~_^)

I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see what happens!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that your top is out of balance with your lower body. Why not work on it to balance yourself out?
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that your top is out of balance with your lower body. Why not work on it to balance yourself out?

^^ This..

Nothing wrong with having a toned upper body too
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting question, and a rare one.

I think LelliAm's suggestion sounds good, to go for longer cardio sessions whilst keeping the calories to weight loss program.

The fact that you haven't done any leg work for a long time but you still have large thigh and glute muscles would indicate that genetics are a factor. You may have to accept that you are built that way, that doesn't mean you can't change your shape, but that it will be harder.

Best wishes with it.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Longer Cario will burn muscle. Try running for 45-60 minutes.

When I go on my long runs 6-10 miles at a time, I take protein either before or durning my run to prevent the muscle loss.

The 1st 20-30 minutes you burn stored energy, then fat and eventually muscle is used for energy. Because you are using mostly legs while running I'm going to assume that muscle would be used 1st. The only scientific basis I have for that however is I run a lot and my legs are small in comparison to my upper body. Someone may know more on that.
  • Aperture_Science
    Options
    Not this...

becuse of this...

I am also NOT interested in bulking up my upper body to even things out.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting question, and a rare one.

I think LelliAm's suggestion sounds good, to go for longer cardio sessions whilst keeping the calories to weight loss program.

The fact that you haven't done any leg work for a long time but you still have large thigh and glute muscles would indicate that genetics are a factor. You may have to accept that you are built that way, that doesn't mean you can't change your shape, but that it will be harder.

Best wishes with it.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS
    And again, you're deal with some genetic predisposition., and remember what people warn us about...
    Be careful what you ask for....
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Not this...

becuse of this...

I am also NOT interested in bulking up my upper body to even things out.

I hear what you are saying...but toning and bulking up are too different things. It takes a lot for a female to "bulk up" too
  • Aperture_Science
    Options

I hear what you are saying...but toning and bulking up are too different things. It takes a lot for a female to "bulk up" too

The toning/bulking semantics are a massive snakes nest, but brushing that aside, if by "toning" you mean working the muscles for something other than gaining mass that isn't going to help her balance out her larger lower body with the relatively smaller upper.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The UNHEALTHY way of doing it is to cut your calories a lot and do no exercise. Like a fad diet, with little protein. You will lose muscle then. I did that a year or so ago. Was it worth it? Hell no. And it will come back as soon as you start exercising again.
    Another way is just learn to love your thighs. I have muscly calves, I can't wear boots cz they're so big. But I learnt to love them, as they allow me to run. :drinker:
  • Heather2784
    Heather2784 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was a competitive gymnast when I was younger, so I know exactly what you're talking about. And I'm pretty sure it can't be solved. Even at 108 (pretty underweight for me), I still had my "thick" thighs. Luckily for me, I'm able to embrace my athletic figure. Tho finding pants, that aren't made pretty much of elastic, to fit both my thighs and my waste can be a pain. Lol.

Try lot's of cardio, to get them as slim as possible. And try do some upper body strength for balance.
  • johnhaslem231
    Options
    Very easy question.. If you want to lose more muscles, stop lifting weights and do cardio workout..that's it!

http://howdoilosebellyfat.org/
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies!

I do believe it is genetic as my father is the same way. He decided in university to lift weights to build up muscle, probably didn't even follow a proper regime, stopped after only a year or so and still looks cut enough in his 60s that many people mention it frequently. (He lives in a beach community where people wear skimpy clothing a lot).

As for this "women don't bulk up" talk, that's true in general, but not for everyone. I bulk up quite easily and quickly. I actually bulked up my forearms once from playing the piano!!!! (Granted it was 2-4 hours a day, but still!)

Thankfully, my arms don't seem to retain the bulk that my legs do and they have slimmed down considerably since my piano-playing, swimming and rock -climbing days. I can assure you, however, that many of the woman at the rock climbing gym were quite bulky indeed.

*sigh* I guess I will continue to try to do longer and longer runs and hope that eventually the muscles will reduce in bulk... or learn to love 'em!

And yes, I should be careful what I wish for! ha ha!