What to do with a fruit basket?

Options
My husband is due home today after heart surgery (yay!), but he has a huge fruit basket left-over.

What can I make with

4 bananas
4 eating apples (1 green, 1 yellow, 2 red)
2 kiwi
2 plums
2 pears

I'll not worry too much about the sugar count, but something heart-healthy would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• bump
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    4 bananas
    2 kiwi
    2 plums
    2 pears

Banana's and Pears make lovely milkshakes/smoothies with yoghurt (or if you're being naughty, fat free ice cream)

I'd cut the apples up, add saltanas to them and cook in the oven with tin foil over sprinkled with cinnamon/mixed spice... lovely snack and brings out natural sugars for a "sauce".... You can also turn them into apple crisps but not sure how this works!

Kiwi... well... eat it raw with a spoon! and not sure about the plums........ ;/
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're overthinking it?

It's fruit. Just eat it.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe I wouldn't use all of the fruit for this, but you could make a quick fruit salad by chopping one of each of the fruit up and adding a dash of lemon juice, orange juice, a bit of sugar water or maple syrup or all four. I think it would taste best if left to sit for a few hours before serving so the flavours mellow and mix. You could add a bit of vanilla or almond flavouring too.

The other possibility would be yogurt instead which would probably taste best right away. For some crunch you could add some low calorie cereal like corn flakes or Rice Krispies. If you can handle a few more calories, maybe you could add some granola.

You could also make a fruit compote to put on toast or bread or crackers. I wouldn't use the banana for this, but the apple and pear would be really nice. Cut them up, put them in a pot with a bit of water, some corn starch, maybe a bit of sugar or maple syrup and your favourite spices (I think cinnamon and cloves would be nice). Stick the pot on the stove with a lid and head until the fruit is soft, but still has a bit of texture.

Raw apples or pears sprinkled with a touch of cinnamon or cloves is also nice.

The banana could be used to make a shake with milk or yogurt or both, with or without sugar or other sweetener. I think honey would be nice with this. For protein you could add a raw egg.

Banana also goes very well with chocolate syrup and/or peanut butter and you don't have to add a lot to get the flavour. It would be great just like that on toast, bread or crackers with the peanut butter spread very thin and just a drop or two of chocolate syrup. You could also sprinkle with a bit of cocoa powder and sugar (or hot chocolate powder) if you don't have chocolate syrup on hand.

Plums are a bit tart, so I think they could go well in a salad with an orange juice vinaigrette. I think they would pair well with shredded carrots and maybe walnuts on a bed of your choice of lettuce.

These are all super easy things. Of course, you could always make pies or muffins etc. if you had more time, but I assume you have a patient to care for! (^_^)

If you are looking more for mains, apples and pears are often paired with pork, but I can't really imagine combining fruits with any other meats successfully. Maybe chicken... maybe...

I hope these ideas have helped!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Natika that's a great bunch of ideas!

It's a bit too much fruit to "just eat", plus it's on the ripe side by now.

I've so far made the bananas into a loaf with walnuts and sultanas, and also mashed and frozen some to use as fake ice cream.

I love the more savoury suggestions, and I think I'll give the apple and pear compote a go too.

Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • natika33
    Options
    No problem.

I forgot about kiwis. If you like savory, you can make kiwis into a salsa that pairs well with steak. Cut up the kiwis, add a dash of soy sauce (Japanese soy sauce is less salty, but if you already have regular soy sauce at your house you could dilute with water) and lemon or lime juice and a sprinkle of chili powder. It shouldn't be too spicy that way, but if you want to up the spice, add cayenne pepper or fresh peppers in very small amounts until you are happy.

I've never tried this, but I suspect adding the above mixture to regular salsa would work fine and give you a larger amount since you are only working with two kiwis...
  • orchidsand
    Options
    What can I make with

4 bananas
    2 kiwi
    2 plums
    2 pears

There are so many things that can be done with fruit. If you are into any sort of baking you can use them to make a fruit bread. Use a banana bread recipe and add any of the fruit...just because it says :Banana Bread" on the title does not limit you to adding only bananas. Fruit is a good way to add extra moisture to things such as breads.
    Pears can be poached to make a wonderful dessert without sugar. As for the plums & kiwis, cut them up, add a dash of water (just enough so they do not burn) and stew them to make a sauce to go over poultry or fish, Both bananas & apples can be grilled, but use one of those things that go over the wide grill slats so they do not fall thru. Cut the bananas on an angle & the apples so the slices are circular & just put on your gas grill. Grilled fruit is a delicious side dish....pears can be grilled too....plums & kiwis not so much.
    Have fun with your creativity & enjoy your husband!!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely go for a fruit salad or/and smoothie.
    BTW: it's fantastic he's coming home. Please tell him I've asked for him. I'm really happy for the both of you:flowerforyou:
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    I am SOOO trying that kiwi salsa idea!

Brilliant suggestions, folks, and many thanks for your good wishes :heart:
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Wow, kiwi salsa!

They really were a bit too soft to eat au naturale.

I finely chopped one echalot (banana shallot), 1/2 a green chili, handful of flat leaf parsley (coriander would've been better), and 2 ripe kiwis. (Spring onions would be a good addition)

I stirred that with a glug of lemon juice (lime would've been better), tamari soy sauce, and a dash of pear balsamic, just cos it was there, (totally optional).

Ooooh yum!

PS the spiced apple and pear compote is delicious, and I'm looking forward to stirring it into some natural yoghurt for breakfast, sprinkled with flaxseed.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Chutney!

And banana bread - best thing for overripe bananas!

That kiwi salsa sounds fab, will try that. Glad your husband is on his way home - think of the cals you're going to burn running round after him!
    Take care x
  • natika33
    Options
    Yay!