Depression and Weight Loss

Options
2»

Replies

• mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I am not a Dr, but I have a few family members with Bipolar Disorder. You mentioned you are on an antidepressant , but you didn't mention a mood stabllizer. Being on an antidepressant without a mood stabilizer can cause more harm than good. There are several available now, without all the side effects and risks associated with the old school meds. It sounds like your mood cycling is the problem? I hope this helps.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from major depression since childhood, and have found as an adult now, it has become harder to manage.
    I take Paxil 20mg for it daily, and although I don't believe it's caused any weight gain, or inability to lose weight itself (the meds), it also only keeps my mood stable (Keeps me from not just staying in bed all day crying, or being a super mega ultra b**** to everyone). Most days I still feel pretty crappy though....

The thing I hate about depression (besides the fact that it hurts like hell), is the struggle with sanity.
    When I was younger, I remember walking to school, and I just burst out crying. I felt so incredibly sad, and I could NOT stop. I was arguing with myself, "wtf??!!....You have no test, you have your health, the weather is nice.....smarten the f*** up!!". I was aware how stupid it was, but yet I had not control. That part of me believed there was something very sad and worth crying for....

My point is (sorry, long I know),....depression is incredibly influential on one's ability to lose (or even gain) weight. For some, it's the meds that they take that make it hard, for others like myself, it's dealing with the lows, and trying to maintain as much control as I can when it's at it's worst. When it comes to taking care of myself, be it eating habits, hygiene, etc,...there are some days where I either just truly 'forget', or don't want to cause I just don't care.

I posted in my profile that my goal on MFP is to lose weight (obviously), but now reading and replying to this thread makes me realize that even more so then that, it's to maintain my 'sanity'. As long as I can fight it, I will NOT let the depression take me completely. 'I'm' still in me too (if that makes sense)

Despite my bouts and bad days,...I've lost over 17 lbs,....and I WILL lose more!!!!
    IN YOUR FACE DEPRESSION! :wink:

^ This is very similar to my 'story' :flowerforyou:
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    From what my husband has experienced, when he's depressed he doesn't want to eat, but when his meads are working he enjoys all things more...including food. Instead of beating himself up over his calories, he just tries to make a really good effort to log absolutely everything he eats- even if it is 1000's of calories over. Some weeks he makes the good choices, some days he blows it. At the very least, he is no longer gaining.
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later. I suffer from anxiety and depression, which has led to also ocd and agoraphoba as tendencies, and I am currently on medication for it, but I find that while I am happy, I am really enjoying exercise and getting fit, but as I am currently in one of my downward spirals, all I do is eat bad food and berate myself. I believe my medication is also linked to affecting weight levels as well, and I put on 10lbs since I started it, but I'm hoping it won't affect my metabolic rate provided I get my diet together...

We'll all support each other! x
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i'm diagnosed with mood disorder nos, and go through phases of not giving a crap about myself, what goes in my body, or how i treat it.
    some days suck, and i dont want to do anything.
    but exercising really can help you feel better, from the release of endophins that can help elevate your mood.
    i haven't been on any medications in a long time, i feel they do not do anything and sometimes cause weight gain too.
    the best thing really to do is get support from others, maybe find a buddy on here to keep you in check, and no matter how hard it is drag your behind out of bed, and do some form of exercise. it could be crunches and dumbbells while watching tv, or listening to music while taking a long walk. especially if the weather is nicer, that really can help lift your spirits.
    i hope you can find something that works for you!
    talk therapy isn't for everyone, believe me i know. i can't stand to see a therapist or counselor, even though i am a mental health counselor at a residential facility.
  • lmhaith2013
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with depression as well. The first time was when my father committed suicide on christmas day 1994. The second time was late 2011 after the death of my 22 year old cousin in July than the death of my mother in sept. 2011. Yes depression is sent straight from the pits of hell, just my opinion. But you have to find something in your life that you love and are committed to. Than whenever you began to tread down the road of "I Can't" remember yes you can. you are loved, your life has a purpose and a meaning. Instead of eating committ to getting up and doing a good deed for someone. Whether it's volunteering at a shelter, or helping serve meals to the homeless. Because if you want to beat depression you have to realize that as bad as things are for you someone else has it worse. That will take your mind off of you. Try it, I'm sure you will be amazed and grateful.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Options
    but exercising really can help you feel better, from the release of endophins that can help elevate your mood.
    i haven't been on any medications in a long time, i feel they do not do anything and sometimes cause weight gain too.
    the best thing really to do is get support from others, maybe find a buddy on here to keep you in check, and no matter how hard it is drag your behind out of bed, and do some form of exercise. it could be crunches and dumbbells while watching tv, or listening to music while taking a long walk. especially if the weather is nicer, that really can help lift your spirits.
    i hope you can find something that works for you!

I totally agree with this. I've had issues with anxiety in the past, although it's been a lot better in the last few years following some talking therapy, and as I lost weight and became healthier, and I learned about my triggers and how to deal with them better. The last few months we have had a LOT of stuff going on as a family, and it's been really busy. At the start of this time I started working at a trainer at the gym after hurting my shoulder, and he challenged me to loose my last half stone. I forced myself to make the time to go the gym 3-4 times a week, however busy it was, and I realised that instead of giving me extra stress it was helping. I've had anxiety issues relating to a gym in the past, and for the first few months at this gym I would rarely speak to staff, so I knew this was something I had to change, so I've got to know a few of them, tried out classes etc and they have been really supportive. It really helped yesterday - we have a huge meeing on Tuesday, and I can feel my anxiety levels rising (had first panic attack in a long time on Friday), rather than turn to food, I have stayed with the exercise - it's hard to go (the last couple of days I could really easily have not gone) but I feel so much better for doing it. I even spoke to the gym manager yesterday to see if I can go in early on Tuesday morning (I only have off-peak membership) as I figure I will be awake VERY early and it's better to exercise that sit at home stressing!

I hope you find something that works for you.