Stuck, please help!!

Options
Hi,
I'm trying to get over this hump that I seem to be stuck on for the past month.
Background: Need to lose 100 lbs. 25lbs away from that goal. I've set my weightloss for 1lb a week. I've been with MFP since March of last year.
During the holiday I had gained 2 lbs, thus making my weightloss for December only 4 lbs, but I was still okay with that. So when I got back from the holidays I decided to try to get some more exercise in. (As I had only been walking in December)
So I started going to Zumba 2-3 times a week and went snowboarding on the weekend.
AND I GAINED 5LBS! WTF :noway: :huh:
So I figured that my body just wasn't use to the exercise, so I decided to keep working out and eating my calories. I try really hard to eat my exercise calories back on those days, but really it isn't possible when I burn approx 1000-2000. So I just eat as much as I can and then the next day try to go over a little to help make up for it (Like Zig-Zagging).

Well now it's been a whole month...and I'll I have noticed is that I continue to yo-yo the same 3lbs. I haven't actually "lost" weight at all. So now I'm confused and frustrated. Could someone please look at my diary, and please make suggestions? I am SO CLOSE to my goal and I don't want to give up, but I'm so frustrated sometimes I could cry....:sad:

Thanks!

Replies

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I hope you are ready to receive a whole raft of different opinions in the next hour :-)

Half of them are going to say "you need to eat more" - I don't agree with that, it's certainly not been my experience but it does seem to be other peoples.

OK here's my opinion for whatever it's worth.........

I think you may be over estimating the caloric burn from the snowboarding etc. I know you are boarding for several hours but are you really at maximum aerobic capacity for every minute of several hours on end? That seems unlikely. For instance in a six hour snowboarding session you must be spending 50% of that sat on a lift going back up no?

I train in a fighter class in full contact martial arts and the class is brutal and exhausting. When I key in 1 hour martial arts to a calorie calculator is comes back with 800+ cals burnt. But when I think about that class there are pauses and rests whilst you change over equiptment etc and I reckon only 35-40 mins is actual activity.

Just a thought.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    are you losing inches?
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I hope you are ready to receive a whole raft of different opinions in the next hour :-)

Half of them are going to say "you need to eat more" - I don't agree with that, it's certainly not been my experience but it does seem to be other peoples.

OK here's my opinion for whatever it's worth.........

I think you may be over estimating the caloric burn from the snowboarding etc. I know you are boarding for several hours but are you really at maximum aerobic capacity for every minute of several hours on end? That seems unlikely. For instance in a six hour snowboarding session you must be spending 50% of that sat on a lift going back up no?

I train in a fighter class in full contact martial arts and the class is brutal and exhausting. When I key in 1 hour martial arts to a calorie calculator is comes back with 800+ cals burnt. But when I think about that class there are pauses and rests whilst you change over equiptment etc and I reckon only 35-40 mins is actual activity.

Just a thought.

Ok I will try just logging what I actually do (I wear my HRM so I can just pause it while I'm on the lift).
  • Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    are you losing inches?

Nope took measurements, and haven't lost anything... :mad:
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm trying to get over this hump that I seem to be stuck on for the past month.
    Background: Need to lose 100 lbs. 25lbs away from that goal. I've set my weightloss for 1lb a week. I've been with MFP since March of last year.
    During the holiday I had gained 2 lbs, thus making my weightloss for December only 4 lbs, but I was still okay with that. So when I got back from the holidays I decided to try to get some more exercise in. (As I had only been walking in December)
    So I started going to Zumba 2-3 times a week and went snowboarding on the weekend.
    AND I GAINED 5LBS! WTF :noway: :huh:
    So I figured that my body just wasn't use to the exercise, so I decided to keep working out and eating my calories. I try really hard to eat my exercise calories back on those days, but really it isn't possible when I burn approx 1000-2000. So I just eat as much as I can and then the next day try to go over a little to help make up for it (Like Zig-Zagging).

Well now it's been a whole month...and I'll I have noticed is that I continue to yo-yo the same 3lbs. I haven't actually "lost" weight at all. So now I'm confused and frustrated. Could someone please look at my diary, and please make suggestions? I am SO CLOSE to my goal and I don't want to give up, but I'm so frustrated sometimes I could cry....:sad:

Thanks!

Hey, again. lots of people have lots of opinions. so, here's mine. If you are upping your exercise and trying to "re-eat" those ALL those extra cals. It's not going to get you that far. Those are there are a cushion. Don't feel like you HAVE to eat it. And when you are toning up and gaining muscle, you will end up gaining muscle weight first. I'm having that issue now too. So, I talked to my mom (who's a personal trainer) and she told me that if I'm plateaued, then I need to mix up my exercise routine. don't get too down on yourself. You are doing a great job!! And because you are getting closer to your goal, it's going to get harder to lose. Pay attention to inches, how your clothes feel and how you feel on the inside!! Pounds will follow! Inches and how you feel is what matters! Good luck!!
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this one. I have played with the same 2 to 4 lbs. for quite a few months. Actually, last month I gained about 9.5 lbs. ( I have not done real good on keeping within my calorie intake last month) I have decided that I will stop trying until March 1st and then I will start all over again. I will not give up completely, just for a month. I hope this will help me to get my motivation back.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Ok I will try just logging what I actually do (I wear my HRM so I can just pause it while I'm on the lift).

Please bear in mind that whilst yor HRM can accurtately measure your heart rate, it's only guessing at what that translates into in terms of calories burnt. It uses an algorithm than an engineer decided to use based on zero knowledge of you the individual. It may be accurate for you but it's probably not.

I personally suspect these devices intentionally overestimate because we as purchasers want to believe we are burning off huge calories and so we buy them.

You could try 1 week of working from half the calories your device suggests and just see what happens. My guess is the weight will start to move.
  • jackieb1977
    jackieb1977 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    hey was guna post help too regarding this. i have maintened at the same weight for 3 weeks now my first week loss was 8lbs now nothing, i have increased exersice(which is more than i ever did) plus stayed within my calorie goal...i have eaten exercise cals i have not eaten them just to see where im going wrong, but still nothing. if anybody has any ideas then let me know lol thanks.:smile: