BANGING. HEAD. AGAINST. WALL.

Options
I have absolutely, positively, no idea what is going on. Doing the "Olivia Method" by using my green number as my deficit. Before Christmas I was trying to keep my green number at around 1000. Got down to 152.2.

Gained over vacation/holidays. Was up to 158 when I got home...but started my workout/teaching back to my old eating....weight quickly went down to 155 and then stopped...frustrating.

This morning, I hopped on and it's 159!! That's almost a 10 pound GAIN from when I started MFP. I log EVERYTHING. And I workout 6 days a week, usually 2 times a day with my job. Can someone see anything in my diary that I'm missing? This is exactly what I was doing before! I'm just gutted. Almost 160????????? When I was down to 140's/low 150's. I could just scream with frustration. Been to Dr and there are no issues.

Replies

• madamchoochoo
    madamchoochoo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is me - i put on 10lbs over Xmas and have lost 3, im eating well and training hard too and its not shifting... i feel your pain!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    There was that frustration....I tried to ignore it...but then a massive gain out of no where? Not TOM related or anything either. I'm just stumped and MAD.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    How do you mesure your exercise calories? You look quite small and I have a hard time believing youcould burn 1200 calories a day exercising
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I have a HRM with a chest strap. I teach group ex...and usually two classes a day...plus racing around with the dog. The second I stop my workout I turn my HRM off. Like today I teach two spin classes and a 30 minute core class. Etc.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Agree, I'm down to 148 now and in order to burn that many cals through exercise per day, I'd have to pretty much run a marathon daily. You might be overestimating. What kind of exercise are you doing?

Also eat less processed or dessert foods, it does make a difference.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to adjust your lifestyle listing on MFP to more active?
  • Bellachan
    Options
    IS your body toning? Maybe your just gaining more muscle then fat now. :smile:
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    The calories are coming straight from my HRM. I'm a fitness teacher....so Monday I teach spin and Bodypump. Tuesday I teach a bootcamp class and then spin. Wednesday I teach an hour spin, Thursday I teach two spin and one core, Saturday a hour spin, and Sunday Bodypump. I'll then walk the dog with my monitor on and burn between 100-200. Add them all together and some days are that high.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Without considering the scale....how are your cloths fitting?
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I didn't gain 4 pounds of muscle. I haven't added more strength training. that would be nice though. Haha
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Without considering the scale....how are your cloths fitting?
    They fit ABOUT the same. A little snugger in the waist I thought. :-/
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    When I'm NOT teaching, I'm not doing anything as crazy as a nurse or salesman, I'll be cleaning etc or on the computer so not moving around a TON. So I kept it at sedentary, but add the exercise cals.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Are your settings to maintain or lose? If it is lose, then you already have a calorie deficit built in. Putting another 1,000 "green" deficit on top of that might be causing your body to hang on to weight?
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Believe me I am NO expert - but I looked through your diary- just a few days - and it looks like you could maybe up the protein - maybe take some of the processed stuff out and replace with more lean meat and veggies, Im a bust mom also so I know its not always that easy - but with you teaching Body Pump and breaking your muscles down like that I think they need to be fed more, try for a week to up the protein and see what happens .., just a thought
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    bump
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    When I'm NOT teaching, I'm not doing anything as crazy as a nurse or salesman, I'll be cleaning etc or on the computer so not moving around a TON. So I kept it at sedentary, but add the exercise cals.

This might be your problem too. You should set it to a higher activity level because you are a naturally fit and moving person. You probably burn more just sitting around than a normal person.

There was a discussion about it the other day here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/469417-initial-calorie-calculator-can-be-dangerous
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and frankly you need to eat less processed food. It's full of preservatives and sodium and just because it's 100 cals (or whatever) doesn't mean it's good for you. Less sugar, less sodium, less carbs, more veggies.
  • rcwible83
    Options

Agree. Muscle weighs more than fat. :wink: Just don't give up! It's fustrating but keep your chin up :flowerforyou:
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The calories are coming straight from my HRM.

The heart rate monitor is measuring your BPM and then running a software algorithm to calculate caloric expenditure. That algorithm could be some way off reality. There are so many different algorithms and they all assume some theoretical average person - plus even if it is accurately recording say a 500 calorie burn in a given exercise hour, is it deducting the 100 calories you would have burnt lying on the couch for that hour?

I'd trust a good HRM to give me accurate BPM, but not caloric burn. there is no way it can know.
  • MsPetuniaPig
    MsPetuniaPig Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. I noticed the same thing the other person did. Try eliminating some sugar and flour. These things usually build up right in the midsection too. Adding protein will help you move the right direction. Maybe switch some of the processed items (like the choc covered pretzels) to something low carb.

Just a thought.