so what's up with 850-900 cals burned in less than an hour

Options

Replies

• ree2705
    ree2705 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The only time I really burn calories like this is 70 minutes cycling (12 Miles hilly terraine) on a mountain bike averaging 16mph - approx 1150 calories - I have about 20lbs to lose - this is a really intense work out for me!!! 850 - 900 calories is a really respectable work out and you shouldn't worry as you clearly are working hard ;0
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    To the OP: I agree with you somewhat. I took spinning and trained with heart rate zones for several years and never burned more than 751 in an hour. I guess if you are much heavier than I am, you could bump that up a hundred calories or so. But I believe that the estimates given by machines, the MFP database, and yes, even some HRM models are inaccurate.

It is true that we will burn different amounts of calories based on weight, age, and other factors. However, to the person who said that you can burn 20 calories a minute in zone 5, I believe that it is physically impossible to sustain a zone 5 heart rate for an entire hour. It should, and probably only can, be sustained for 20 minutes max. Maybe, maybe elite endurance athletes can sustain 90% of maximum heart rate for long periods of time, but I don't think I'm too far off base in saying that most of us on here aren't elite endurance athletes.

By the way, accurate heart rate training will allow you to burn many calories. This is one reason that many people have inaccurate burns. The standard 220 - age test doesn't really work that well in determining max heart rate, but it's a formula that many HRMs use.. There are several tests that you can use to determine your lactate threshold: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

That being said, I don't worry too much about it. I try to focus on what I'm burning and not care about others' exercise habits or calories burned.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    According to my Polar HRM I burn between 350 and 400 calories in 40 minutes or so of cardio. I'm not overweight and, so far, as I'm new to the programme i'm doing, i haven't really pushed it. I suspect then, that I could burn around 700-800 in an hoiur if I did.
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I also use an HRM & i burn around 800-900 in a workout on the elliptical. I weigh 218, and keep my HR at the high end of the scale for my BPM for most of my workout. My average is typically 3-4 BPM less than the max when I'm done. Also, I'm not using the default HR range of 220-age 70-80% for moderate. I'm running the test at the beginning to tell me where my range is for the day, that will give a more accurate measurement.

Also remember that more movement = more calories burned. So on an elliptical/cross trainer you're swinging your arms as well. When I'm on a bike, i don't burn as much because I'm only moving my legs..
  • thekacks
    thekacks Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Look at the person's exercise diary. Most likely they did something else earlier in the day. If you do a morning and evening workout like I do... when you post the second round ... it adds the calories burned for the WHOLE DAY not just that hour.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, 128 lbs and I burn about 9-10 calories per minute; depending on the activity. I can easily burn 700-800 calories in an hour, especially if I am running. I wear a HRM that is pretty accurate in telling me how many calories I am burning. It all depends various factors. Ive burned over 1,000 calories doing 90 minutes of interval running.

I think it all depends on the activity, how intense you are working out and your current level of fitness.
    A lot of people here seem to burn ^^ that many calories in one session of exercise, sometimes the title does not even seem to be vigorous exercise. How is this possible?

At my total max I burn 600cals in an hour of cycling class. I realize that if people weigh more they'll burn more, but I don't know if everyone that does this weighs more.

An hour at the gym with running, elliptical, stairclimber and so on brings me 300-400 cals MAX. I can't push myself any harder or I'd pass out.

What gives? what am I doing wrong?
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    The more lean you are, the more efficient you are at exercise which = less calories burned per hour. Yesterday, per my HRM, my 30min bike ride burned 530 cal but I am 6'7" & 280lbs.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    That sort of impies I don't give 110%, which I do. I seriously can't be in any more pain. I only need to lose about 15-20 lbs and an hour of Zumba (with HRM) also only burns 400-500 cals for me.

For me, it's even less. I come hobbling out of zumba, spin or kickboxing class, pouring sweat, with a beet red face....and only burned 300-400 or so calories. Bah! Still, it's fun and it's calories.

/jealous
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should clarify for some.. I (ME) do NOT burn 850 cals an hour. I do use an HRM and it generally has me burning between 350-400 in an hour workout, sometimes less if I do more weights (duh, not as much of an elevted heartrate there).

But on my news feed people who (as far as I know) are about my weight and same sex - burn close to 1000 cals in a single workout. And it's often not even running, but rather a "walk off the pounds" type of exercise. That being said they say they use an HRM as well.

I am just confused. I know I should be happy with what I'm burning. Sometimes wish I had more to lose, it may come off easier :P - at least at first.
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    That sort of impies I don't give 110%, which I do. I seriously can't be in any more pain. I only need to lose about 15-20 lbs and an hour of Zumba (with HRM) also only burns 400-500 cals for me.

For me, it's even less. I come hobbling out of zumba, spin or kickboxing class, pouring sweat, with a beet red face....and only burned 300-400 or so calories. Bah! Still, it's fun and it's calories.

/jealous

I know, right? Just because we burn less doesn't mean we don't work hard. But it does get frustrating...
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

Me too. I burn about 450 calories per Zumba session.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

I am doing p90x... And even on Plyo which is the one people "usually" burn 1000+ calories.. I burn between 350-450. I had someone say I must not be doing it "right" ummm actually I do all non-modified and even do "double-time" advanced versions. I feel like I'm going to die afterward so don't tell me I'm not giving it my all! Haha. I believe that people do burn way more but I guess cause I'm almost to goal weight and getting more fit I just won't see those high numbers.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    The more lean you are, the more efficient you are at exercise which = less calories burned per hour. Yesterday, per my HRM, my 30min bike ride burned 530 cal but I am 6'7" & 280lbs.

I just wanted to tell you that I love you profile picture! lol still love that movie! :laugh:
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Look at the person's exercise diary. Most likely they did something else earlier in the day. If you do a morning and evening workout like I do... when you post the second round ... it adds the calories burned for the WHOLE DAY not just that hour.

I agree with this. I enter all my exercise at once and it throws out a huge number. Not all done in one hour but done through out the day.
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OP, thank YOU for starting this thread.

I too use the elliptical and there is no way I can burn 600 cals in an hour! According to the machine, I burn only max 300 in 60 mins. But MFP states that I should burn 571 cals and I'm left wondering where I'm going wrong.

The posts here has given some insights to this. I'm 130lbs and already at the lower end of my healthy weight range according to BMI. Like you, I thought I was doing something wrong.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    i burn around 900/hr in a spin class......but my wife burns about 500......It doesn't imply at all your aren't giving 110% at all. Im bigger so thats the real reason i burn alot.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    1) You're female. You naturally burn less.

2) You don't have much to lose. You naturally burn less.

That's pretty much it really. Dont judge yourself by the burn of others, unless they are the same sex and weight as you. This always drives Vonnie mad, that i always get higher numbers than her. :P

He's right. I'm a chick, and so I burn half as much as he does in the same amount of time. Also as I lose weight I burn less. *sigh*
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    179 lbs with 10.5% BF. Running 8 miles in 65 minutes burns over 1000 calories.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here seem to burn ^^ that many calories in one session of exercise, sometimes the title does not even seem to be vigorous exercise. How is this possible?

At my total max I burn 600cals in an hour of cycling class. I realize that if people weigh more they'll burn more, but I don't know if everyone that does this weighs more.

An hour at the gym with running, elliptical, stairclimber and so on brings me 300-400 cals MAX. I can't push myself any harder or I'd pass out.

What gives? what am I doing wrong?

I've wonder the same thing. I have a HRM I use for all my work outs and I have never so far burned over 600 cals. HOnestly though i Dont mind it, because to me more 800 cals burn seem a little excessive anyways. I think people forget they are burning calories all day long.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh and your fitness level. I'm not sure what titles you're seeing on their exercise log but it's possible they are picking the wrong name. I'm 231 pounds and if I do 45 minutes of a bootcamp workout and run 30 minutes, for a total of 1:15 min., I'll burn over 600 calories. I wear a Go Wear Fit band and have found that very accurate. .

Then again, they might just be way overestimating what they're burning. It wouldn't bother me (why should it?) but if you're "friends" with these people you might want to send them a PM pointing out their calories burned seems high. You might save them a lot of frustration of figuring out why they're not losing weight or getting desired results.