Running shoes for fat guy needed

Options
I'm 269lb (started at 375lb) and I think I'm ready to try jogging. Problem is I still have foot problems. I need some running shoe suggestions. Thanks

Replies

• jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get a gait analysis done. They will put you on the treadmill for a minute and analyze your foot strike and wheter or not you overpronate. From there they will suggest the best shoe for you.

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DKLinDeutschland
    Options
    You can also use the running shoe finder at runnersworld.com if you know most of your stats already
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I went to the New Balance store yesterday, and they fixed me right up. The guy I talked to was very knowledgeable about foot problems and the shoes available. I was rather impressed with the customer service I got. If you can find somewhere that can do that, I highly recommend it.
  • New Blance 1011
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ New Balance
  • danagisana
    danagisana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Adidas Supernova are known for their comfort. I swear by them. They are the best I have ever tried.
    Each person is different. Make sure you can try them out and take them back if needed. It sucks to be stuck with an expensive pair of shoes that hurt your feet.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When I was fat, I bought some standard running shoes - Nike NEW BALANCE but placed inside orthopedic shoe inserts.
    LOVED IT!
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I second going to a running store. Strongly suggest it.

As a bigger guy, you'll want to make sure the shoes are wide enough for you.

I work at a running specialty store - and notice that a lot of new runners, big or small sometimes feel timid about hanging out in a running store. They seem to imagine its some sort of holy place for only the fastest and fittest folks. Not true.

Typically, on line shoe finders fail folks. Most people have some pretty inaccurate ideas about how their body moves - and probably 80% or more of new runners are in shoes that are too small.

Also - great job on the weight loss to date! Impressive!
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Adidas Supernova are known for their comfort. I swear by them. They are the best I have ever tried.
    Each person is different. Make sure you can try them out and take them back if needed. It sucks to be stuck with an expensive pair of shoes that hurt your feet.

It's tough just buying shoes that someone else likes. Just because it fits you or a friend, does not mean it'll fit anyone else. And besides, the Supernova is a LINE of Adidas shoes. They make the Supernova Glide, Supernova Sequence... And each shoe in that Supernova line is quite different from the others.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm 269lb (started at 375lb) and I think I'm ready to try jogging. Problem is I still have foot problems. I need some running shoe suggestions. Thanks

I agree with the poster who suggested getting properly fitted. I'm a bigger guy as well and have the Brooks Beast for the support and control. They aren't sexy looking, but a great shoe to run in. Paid around $100.
  • michaelmikejax
    michaelmikejax Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is go to a speciality store that just sells running shoes. They will watch the way you walk and run and suggest the best shoe for you. I did this and then I looked on the web for the shoes they suggested and found them for about 1/2 the price. However you don't want to skimp on shoes for walking or running. They are very important.
  • ErinRaeHW
    Options
    Totally agree with the other posters! In Minnesota we have The Running Room. I went there last week and got fitted--they watch you walk, run, step etc, its AMAZING what a difference running and walking is in a pair of shoes that fits you correctly!

Ive always just gone to sporting goods stores and bought whats cheap and always ended up with sore feet.
    After I got fitted last week, I took the store's suggestion, found the shoe they reccomended (on ebay for half the price they wanted for it in the store!) and have been LOVING them!! Make my workouts so much more enjoyable!

Good luck!!!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Go to the running store, as others have said.

Synthetic socks aren't bullcrap, they're worth the ten bucks or so.

Feet swell throughout the day, so go at the end of the day if possible.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get a gait analysis done. They will put you on the treadmill for a minute and analyze your foot strike and wheter or not you overpronate. From there they will suggest the best shoe for you.

7980302.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

THIS! What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I'd also say the specialty running store (NOT Foot Locker...or even Foot Locker RUN. A running (or Triathalon) store) as opposed to the store for one particular brand. Yes, a brand store will find the best shoe for your foot...from their brand. But that may not be the best brand for you. Example...I went to an Asics store and they said that the GT-2160 was the best shoe for me. But when I went to a more general running store and tried on different brands, I discovered that Brooks actually feel better and work better for me. If I'd never tried on a lot of different brands, I would still be in shoes that are ok, but not the best for me.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the other posters! In Minnesota we have The Running Room. I went there last week and got fitted--they watch you walk, run, step etc, its AMAZING what a difference running and walking is in a pair of shoes that fits you correctly!

Ive always just gone to sporting goods stores and bought whats cheap and always ended up with sore feet.
    After I got fitted last week, I took the store's suggestion, found the shoe they reccomended (on ebay for half the price they wanted for it in the store!) and have been LOVING them!! Make my workouts so much more enjoyable!

Good luck!!!

My only quibble here is this: if you're going to take advantage of a store's fitting service, you really should buy at least one pair from them. MANY have "loyalty" programs where after spending x-amount (in many cases 1 pair of shoes) you get 10% or more off any future purchase. Using them simply for their fitting service is putting no money in the store's accounts and can lead to them going out of business. I've got some friends who work in local running stores which currently offer the fitting service for free but are considering putting a fee on the service that would be waived if you buy a pair of the shoes but charged if you don't.

Seriously...if you're going to use your local business, support them with your money or they may not be there when you need them again. (which odds are you will as shoe companies regularly make changes to their models that aren't always for the better or discontinue them all together)
  • cincydavid
    Options
    I am at 405 pounds, down from a high of 475. I love my Brooks "Beast" and my Brooks "Addiction"
    Both provide great support and comfort for my walking only routine. I do about 4-5 miles per day.
    I would not trade them for anything.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    First going to a running store like Run On is a great idea. I go there every few years buy there recommendation, then go for them on Amazon for a follow up. If you decided to run alot, its best to have two pair of shoes and rotate them. I personally use New Balance 940 and Brooks Addiction 10. I typically rotate between them every run. When they finally get worn out (by running standards), they become my mowing shoes. I can not stress enough to not run too long in shoes. They wear down especially big guys and you will get foot problems if you run on them after they are wore out. I use to suffer from plantar fasciitis. So I also wear custom made orthodics.
    I am at 405 pounds, down from a high of 475. I love my Brooks "Beast" and my Brooks "Addiction"
    Both provide great support and comfort for my walking only routine. I do about 4-5 miles per day.
    I would not trade them for anything.

The Brooks Beast is the recommended show for big guys with foot problems. Normally, I'm a big New Balance proponent, but the Brooks works better and lasted longer for me. My New Balance shoe recommended by a running store is the 940.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nike feels really good.. New Balance sucks.

You can feel the seams of New Balance shoes rubbing against your sore toes, while Nike is very smooth and cushiony.. see for yourself.
  • GBPack93
    Options
    It all comes down to personal preference with brands. I saw some other posters say they like nike, but I can't stand their shoes (solid shirts though). I have a big friend who is about 330 and he like asics kayano ( I believe they are on 19).
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    go to store and get fitted when I did I found out I was buying the wriong size for my foot. since new shoes no blisters on my feet and they never hurt even after a 5k.