Anxiety and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Kitiara47
    Options
    I am a huuuge worrier. I "hide" all my chocolate when I know I'm starting to get stressed so I don't eat the entire bowl in one sitting... Stress does take its toll on our bodies, and I believe that all we have to do is sit back and breathe. I agree, it's a lot easier said than done, but it does help. Make a list, go for a walk, do something for 15 minutes to take your mind off things and let it rest. I've found that exercising, especially in a group, helps me manage my stress.

A little side story, this Tuesday I actually went into panic attack mode because of everything I had going on. Instead of staying home and shutting out the world like I wanted to, I made myself go to meet friends at the student rec center for our Tuesday/Thursday hip-hop class. And you know what? I actually felt a whole lot better when I got back home and was able to tackle all the tasks I had to do for the next day. I didn't get to bed until 1:30 am, but I would have been worse off if I hadn't have gone. Not to mention most of my chocolate would have magically disappeared... :ohwell:
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes, Anxiety can and certainly does effect your weight. Whether gain or loss the trick is to remember to eat healthy, well balanced meals. You need the various nutrients and vitamins healthy foods have to offer. You can also take a multivitamin to help with what your body might not be getting from your food. Someone mentioned sugar and caffeine will make your anxiety worse. This is true so you need to be careful with those foods. Stretching, yoga, and even mediating can all help you to relax. Need help with getting a good night's sleep? Try doing some good stretches for about 10/15 minutes or even some relaxing breathing exercises. It helps the muscles relax enabling the rest of the body to follow. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. Dehydration will also have negative effects on your metabolism. The more water you drink the easier it is for your body to flush out toxins.

No I am not an expert, I am however, a pretty good study of myself and others who are in the same boat. I am an emotional eater, however, I find that my emotions don't get out of control as much when I am exercising regularly and eating healthy and well balanced meals. We are often our own worst enemy. Keep logging your info as it will help you establish patterns that eventually you won't have to even think about.

Love this! Also watch the intake of caffeine,sugar, nicotine, alcohol etc.
  • MrsFrogLegs
    Options
    I have an anxiety disorder that I have been living with since I was 4, I was diagnosed at 18 when I became agoriaphobic (can't leave the house). I have been on SO many different medicines and have seen soo many different doctors. I can tell you that for me some of the medicines (lexapro, abilify, lamictal, to name a few) made me gain serious amounts of weight. When I wasn't on medicine and had anxiety I wouldn't eat. I became too skinny and unhealthy. I am just now at 33 starting to find a happy medium. I am on Zoloft. I have gone back to exercising and eating better. I find that the exercise really helps to settle my mind and burn the nervous energy. I have lost 14lbs so far. I hope you too can find that happy medium. I'll leave you with a little wisdom my dad always tells me I have anxiety....."Its not going to kill you, it just feels that way" AND " Stay busy, it'll keep your mind off it".

Good Luck!
  • Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting I'm on medication for anxiety and I'm in a stressful job ... Maybe I need I cut the caffeine I'm on decaf after five to help sleep ... And sominex to help the sleep ... Interested to read about melatonin will look up on web x
  • RUN2CJ
    RUN2CJ Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this “post topic”, there are some really good tips that I have already found! It also helps to know that I am not the only anxious person trying to lose weight! It tends to turn into a difficult feat at times, and with the everyday stressed of life, losing weight the right way is a slow process that at times can be discouraging. Remember to use what you have and work with what you've got. You may have to work harder than someone else, or in a different manner, but it’s not always the strongest that wins the race, it’s the one that doesn't give up...

At least the loser had a chance to play in the game...
    :wink: